Re: [pcgen] Add Common Stat Roll methods to gameModes

  • Éric Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
      At 17:28 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
      >>Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?
      >>

      >Yes, the source is *inside* the jar ;)
      >
      >Devon

      Let's pretend for a second that the only thing I know about the .jar file generation is that I have to type "ant clean build test" when I want to build the PCGen .jar files. How can I get the source out of a .jar that I do not compile myself?

      Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
      Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
      >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
      <mailto:beaudoer@...>
    • Byngl
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
        The file you want is src/java/pcgen/util/PJEP.java
        Do a search for: 10+d10

        That'll get you to the definition of the function, but won't be
        entirely helpful. What you need to look at is
        src/java/pcgen/util/DiceExpression.jj. This file defines the grammar
        used to parse the dice expressions. It gets run through javaCC (Java
        Compiler Compiler). The .jj file is credited to binkley, so if you'd
        like more info, he'd be the one to contact.

        Byngl

        > Éric Beaudoin scribed:
        >
        > > If you point me to the code where the roll function is define,
        I'm willing to
        > > try to see what it does. I don't write Java but I can read it
        sometimes :-).

        > Ask Greg, I can't even read it.
        >
        > > In this case, I'm very interested to find out how I could make
        PCGen use
        > > (roll) a dice expression a number of time and keep the x greatest
        (or lowest)
        > > rolls out of n. This is what is needed to implement the funky
        house-rules
        > > methods that some users (including me) use.
        >
        > Me too, me know what you learn and I'll include it in the doc entry.
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      • Éric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
          At 19:01 2005.10.01, Byngl wrote:
          >That'll get you to the definition of the function, but won't be
          >entirely helpful. What you need to look at is
          >src/java/pcgen/util/DiceExpression.jj. This file defines the grammar
          >used to parse the dice expressions. It gets run through javaCC (Java
          >Compiler Compiler). The .jj file is credited to binkley, so if you'd
          >like more info, he'd be the one to contact.
          >
          >Byngl

          Here's what I can tell about the roll function:

          We can invoke the function multiple ways. What the function do is based on the number and type of the parameters.

          The type can be integer, array of integer or string.

          The roll functions appear to be all defined in \src\java\pcgen\util\DiceExpressionFunctions.java and they all call RollingMethods.roll in \src\java\pcgen\core\RollingMethods.java

          When using the roll function, numbers are treated as integer, list of coma separate integer enclosed in [] are treated as array of integers, characters enclosed in "" are treated as strings. I do not know for sure how a string without the "" is interpreted but I think the parser somehow tries to convert it to integer before feed the functions (e.g.. 3d6 without the "" would be seen as 3 or 6 or 36, 5+1 would probably be 6).

          The possible ways to call the roll functions are:

          General note: all the roll function returns the total of all rolls performed

          roll(times,sides) times => integer, number of time to roll
          sides => integer, type of dice to roll
          e.g. roll(3,6) == 3d6

          roll(sides) sides => integer, type of dice to roll
          e.g. roll(6) == 1d6
          note: this is one form that do not call
          RollingMethods.roll but call Globals.getRandomInt
          directly instead

          roll(times,sides,[keep])
          times => integer, number of time to roll
          sides => integer, type of dice to roll
          [keep] => array of integer, index of the dice
          we want to keep. The dices are sorted
          from the lower result (index = 1) to
          the largest result (index = times)
          e.g. roll(4,6,[2,3,4]) == 4d6, keep the three best

          roll(times,[sides]) times => integer, number of time to roll
          [sides] => array of integer, possible dice to choose
          from randomly
          e.g. roll(4,[4,6]) == roll four times, each time you
          randomly choose a d4 or a d6
          note: this is one form that do not call
          RollingMethods.roll but call Globals.getRandomInt
          directly instead.
          Whoever code this called it bizarre dice
          rolling with good reason.

          roll(times,[sides],[keep])
          times => integer, number of time to roll
          [sides] => array of integer, possible dice to choose
          [keep] => array of integer, index of the dice
          we want to keep. The dices are sorted
          from the lower result (index = 1) to
          the largest result (index = times)
          e.g. roll(4,[4,6],[3,4])
          == roll four times, each time you randomly
          choose a d4 or a d6, and you keep only the
          two best results
          note: this is one form that do not call
          RollingMethods.roll but call Globals.getRandomInt
          directly instead.
          Whoever code this called it bizarre dice
          rolling with good reason.

          roll("djep") "djep" => string, djep expression that gets fed to the
          djep parser
          e.g. roll("3d6") == 3d6

          And the last but certainly not the least clear

          roll(times,sides,modifier,keep,reroll_value)
          times => integer, number of time to roll
          sides => integer, type of dice to roll
          modifier => integer, value that gets added to the total
          after all the rolls are done
          keep => integer, number of dices to keep, the lower
          values are dropped
          reroll_value => integer, if the result is not greater
          then reroll_value, roll again (multiple
          times is necessary)
          e.g. roll(4,6,10,3,2)
          == roll 4d6, reroll any 1 or 2, keep the 3
          highest values, and add 10 to the total

          Well, this is a bit ugly and it doesn't allow us to do everything we need. So I ask for three FREQ.

          1) Please, put all the existing way to call roll in the documentation before we
          forget. I really don't want to do this again (my nose is bleeding!)

          2) Two new form of rolls (really, we don't nearly have enough of them)

          roll(times,"djep")
          roll(times,"djep",[keep])
          times => integer, number of time to roll
          "djep" => string, djep expression that gets fed to the
          djep parser
          [keep] => array of integer, index of the dice
          we want to keep. The dices are sorted
          from the lower result (index = 1) to
          the largest result (index = times)
          e.g. roll(3,"1d5+1") == evaluate the djep expression
          1d5+1 three times and return the total
          e.g. roll(4,"1d5+1",[2,3,4])
          == evaluate the djep expression 1d5+1 four
          times and return the sum of the three
          highest values

          maybe roll(times,"djep",keep) could also be done
          times => integer, number of time to roll
          "djep" => string, djep expression that gets fed to the
          djep parser
          keep => integer, number of dices to keep, the lower
          values are dropped
          e.g. roll(4,"1d5+1",3)
          == evaluate the djep expression 1d5+1 four
          times and keep the three highest values

          I'm not sure though since it add complexity and if we have to choose, I prefer we keep the more versatile [keep] version. I think we should be OK with only three form that use "djep".

          3) We deprecate all the forms that do not use djep. Let's face it, roll("3d6")
          or roll(3,"d6") are way clearer then roll(3,6). The djep expressions allow
          us to do way more.

          Well, that's about it.

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • Devon Jones
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2005
            Éric Beaudoin wrote:

            >At 17:28 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
            >

            >>>Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?
            >>>

            >>Yes, the source is *inside* the jar ;)
            >>
            >>Devon
            >>

            >Let's pretend for a second that the only thing I know about the .jar file generation is that I have to type "ant clean build test" when I want to build the PCGen .jar files. How can I get the source out of a .jar that I do not compile myself?

            Oh, heh :) It's a zip file. just rename it to .zip, and you can open it
            with your favorite zip tool (or, if you use a command line program, you
            don't even need to rename it to .zip for many of them).

            Devon