Re: [pcgen] Add Common Stat Roll methods to gameModes

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
      David M. Bebber scribed:

      > I use a varient of the first method: 4d6, reroll ones, then drop lowest.
      > how would you code that?

      If you keep dropping the 1 and reroll until it's not a 1 then that
      statistically amounts to 1d5+1 right? If you keep a 1 on the reroll then the
      odds get complicated, I'm not sure how that would be formulated here.

      But, I don't know how integer additions fit into the syntax of this tag (or
      even if they do), I tried this:

      ROLLMETHOD:4d6, reroll ones, then drop lowest[tab]METHOD:roll(4,5+1,[2,3,4])

      And it seems to work. But maybe not, I changed it to
      METHOD:roll(4,5+10,[2,3,4]) just to see what I'd get, I expected results 30
      points above average but instead I got numbers from the teens on into the
      40's so I really don't know what this is doing.

      One thing I have noticed is that the preference window does not remember
      which one you have selected, every time you open the preferences the menu
      defaults to the first method encountered in the miscinfo.lst file which is
      somewhat inconvenient.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
        At 14:47 2005.10.01, Eddy Anthony wrote:
        >But, I don't know how integer additions fit into the syntax of this tag (or
        >even if they do), I tried this:
        >
        >ROLLMETHOD:4d6, reroll ones, then drop lowest[tab]METHOD:roll(4,5+1,[2,3,4])

        METHOD appears to accept djep expressions. For example, the 3d6 is written simply 3d6.

        Is there anywhere we can find the full doc for djep or even just for the roll function? My memory tells me that it is a modification of the standard jep parser but I don't remember if it was done in-house or if we got the code from somewhere. There is no license text for djep.jar in the lib folder.

        Anybody knows?

        Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
        Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
        >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
        <mailto:beaudoer@...>
      • Devon Jones
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
          Éric Beaudoin wrote:

          >At 14:47 2005.10.01, Eddy Anthony wrote:
          >

          >>But, I don't know how integer additions fit into the syntax of this tag (or
          >>even if they do), I tried this:
          >>
          >>ROLLMETHOD:4d6, reroll ones, then drop lowest[tab]METHOD:roll(4,5+1,[2,3,4])
          >>

          >METHOD appears to accept djep expressions. For example, the 3d6 is written simply 3d6.
          >
          >Is there anywhere we can find the full doc for djep or even just for the roll function? My memory tells me that it is a modification of the standard jep parser but I don't remember if it was done in-house or if we got the code from somewhere. There is no license text for djep.jar in the lib folder.
          >
          >Anybody knows?

          it was contributed by one of our coders I think it was Ross Lodge. If
          it's useing djep, you can do all sorts of crazy stuff, even (1d2)d6 or
          3d(1d4)+5

          it's pretty cool ;)

          Devon
        • Éric Beaudoin
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
            At 16:10 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
            >it was contributed by one of our coders I think it was Ross Lodge. If
            >it's useing djep, you can do all sorts of crazy stuff, even (1d2)d6 or
            >3d(1d4)+5
            >
            >it's pretty cool ;)
            >
            >Devon

            I've look into the doc and I saw some of the coolness you describe but I can't find any reference to the roll() function. Any clue on this?

            Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
              Éric Beaudoin scribed:

              > I've look into the doc and I saw some of the coolness you describe but I can't
              > find any reference to the roll() function. Any clue on this?

              I asked Greg Bingleman about this recently, he was able to pass me a couple
              of examples:

              > Try QTY:roll("2d4")

              > HARP uses:
              > FUNDS:GP QTY:roll("10+1d10")

              This was for the KIT FUNDS tag which can do random starting gold, its about
              the only place in PCGen (besides the stat METHOD) where this would be
              useful right now because any other place you would use this in a formula
              PCGen would roll a new number every time you changed tabs.

              As always, its on my agenda to get this in the docs along with the random
              stat rolling stuff and all the other cool toys Greg's thrown in lately.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Content Silverback
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                At 16:34 2005.10.01, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                >Éric Beaudoin scribed:
                >
                >> I've look into the doc and I saw some of the coolness you describe but I can't
                >> find any reference to the roll() function. Any clue on this?
                >
                >I asked Greg Bingleman about this recently, he was able to pass me a couple
                >of examples:
                >
                >> Try QTY:roll("2d4")
                >
                >> HARP uses:
                >> FUNDS:GP QTY:roll("10+1d10")
                >
                >This was for the KIT FUNDS tag which can do random starting gold, its about
                >the only place in PCGen (besides the stat METHOD) where this would be
                >useful right now because any other place you would use this in a formula
                >PCGen would roll a new number every time you changed tabs.
                >
                >As always, its on my agenda to get this in the docs along with the random
                >stat rolling stuff and all the other cool toys Greg's thrown in lately.

                Happy to ear that.

                If you point me to the code where the roll function is define, I'm willing to try to see what it does. I don't write Java but I can read it sometimes :-).

                In this case, I'm very interested to find out how I could make PCGen use (roll) a dice expression a number of time and keep the x greatest (or lowest) rolls out of n. This is what is needed to implement the funky house-rules methods that some users (including me) use.

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                  Éric Beaudoin scribed:

                  > If you point me to the code where the roll function is define, I'm willing to
                  > try to see what it does. I don't write Java but I can read it sometimes :-).

                  Ask Greg, I can't even read it.

                  > In this case, I'm very interested to find out how I could make PCGen use
                  > (roll) a dice expression a number of time and keep the x greatest (or lowest)
                  > rolls out of n. This is what is needed to implement the funky house-rules
                  > methods that some users (including me) use.

                  Me too, me know what you learn and I'll include it in the doc entry.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                    Éric Beaudoin wrote:

                    >At 16:10 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
                    >

                    >>it was contributed by one of our coders I think it was Ross Lodge. If
                    >>it's useing djep, you can do all sorts of crazy stuff, even (1d2)d6 or
                    >>3d(1d4)+5
                    >>
                    >>it's pretty cool ;)
                    >>
                    >>Devon
                    >>

                    >I've look into the doc and I saw some of the coolness you describe but I can't find any reference to the roll() function. Any clue on this?
                    >
                    >Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?

                    Yes, the source is *inside* the jar ;)

                    Devon
                  • Éric Beaudoin
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                      At 17:28 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
                      >>Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?
                      >>

                      >Yes, the source is *inside* the jar ;)
                      >
                      >Devon

                      Let's pretend for a second that the only thing I know about the .jar file generation is that I have to type "ant clean build test" when I want to build the PCGen .jar files. How can I get the source out of a .jar that I do not compile myself?

                      Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                      Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
                      >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                      <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                    • Byngl
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                        The file you want is src/java/pcgen/util/PJEP.java
                        Do a search for: 10+d10

                        That'll get you to the definition of the function, but won't be
                        entirely helpful. What you need to look at is
                        src/java/pcgen/util/DiceExpression.jj. This file defines the grammar
                        used to parse the dice expressions. It gets run through javaCC (Java
                        Compiler Compiler). The .jj file is credited to binkley, so if you'd
                        like more info, he'd be the one to contact.

                        Byngl

                        > Éric Beaudoin scribed:
                        >
                        > > If you point me to the code where the roll function is define,
                        I'm willing to
                        > > try to see what it does. I don't write Java but I can read it
                        sometimes :-).

                        > Ask Greg, I can't even read it.
                        >
                        > > In this case, I'm very interested to find out how I could make
                        PCGen use
                        > > (roll) a dice expression a number of time and keep the x greatest
                        (or lowest)
                        > > rolls out of n. This is what is needed to implement the funky
                        house-rules
                        > > methods that some users (including me) use.
                        >
                        > Me too, me know what you learn and I'll include it in the doc entry.
                        > --
                        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                      • Éric Beaudoin
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                          At 19:01 2005.10.01, Byngl wrote:
                          >That'll get you to the definition of the function, but won't be
                          >entirely helpful. What you need to look at is
                          >src/java/pcgen/util/DiceExpression.jj. This file defines the grammar
                          >used to parse the dice expressions. It gets run through javaCC (Java
                          >Compiler Compiler). The .jj file is credited to binkley, so if you'd
                          >like more info, he'd be the one to contact.
                          >
                          >Byngl

                          Here's what I can tell about the roll function:

                          We can invoke the function multiple ways. What the function do is based on the number and type of the parameters.

                          The type can be integer, array of integer or string.

                          The roll functions appear to be all defined in \src\java\pcgen\util\DiceExpressionFunctions.java and they all call RollingMethods.roll in \src\java\pcgen\core\RollingMethods.java

                          When using the roll function, numbers are treated as integer, list of coma separate integer enclosed in [] are treated as array of integers, characters enclosed in "" are treated as strings. I do not know for sure how a string without the "" is interpreted but I think the parser somehow tries to convert it to integer before feed the functions (e.g.. 3d6 without the "" would be seen as 3 or 6 or 36, 5+1 would probably be 6).

                          The possible ways to call the roll functions are:

                          General note: all the roll function returns the total of all rolls performed

                          roll(times,sides) times => integer, number of time to roll
                          sides => integer, type of dice to roll
                          e.g. roll(3,6) == 3d6

                          roll(sides) sides => integer, type of dice to roll
                          e.g. roll(6) == 1d6
                          note: this is one form that do not call
                          RollingMethods.roll but call Globals.getRandomInt
                          directly instead

                          roll(times,sides,[keep])
                          times => integer, number of time to roll
                          sides => integer, type of dice to roll
                          [keep] => array of integer, index of the dice
                          we want to keep. The dices are sorted
                          from the lower result (index = 1) to
                          the largest result (index = times)
                          e.g. roll(4,6,[2,3,4]) == 4d6, keep the three best

                          roll(times,[sides]) times => integer, number of time to roll
                          [sides] => array of integer, possible dice to choose
                          from randomly
                          e.g. roll(4,[4,6]) == roll four times, each time you
                          randomly choose a d4 or a d6
                          note: this is one form that do not call
                          RollingMethods.roll but call Globals.getRandomInt
                          directly instead.
                          Whoever code this called it bizarre dice
                          rolling with good reason.

                          roll(times,[sides],[keep])
                          times => integer, number of time to roll
                          [sides] => array of integer, possible dice to choose
                          [keep] => array of integer, index of the dice
                          we want to keep. The dices are sorted
                          from the lower result (index = 1) to
                          the largest result (index = times)
                          e.g. roll(4,[4,6],[3,4])
                          == roll four times, each time you randomly
                          choose a d4 or a d6, and you keep only the
                          two best results
                          note: this is one form that do not call
                          RollingMethods.roll but call Globals.getRandomInt
                          directly instead.
                          Whoever code this called it bizarre dice
                          rolling with good reason.

                          roll("djep") "djep" => string, djep expression that gets fed to the
                          djep parser
                          e.g. roll("3d6") == 3d6

                          And the last but certainly not the least clear

                          roll(times,sides,modifier,keep,reroll_value)
                          times => integer, number of time to roll
                          sides => integer, type of dice to roll
                          modifier => integer, value that gets added to the total
                          after all the rolls are done
                          keep => integer, number of dices to keep, the lower
                          values are dropped
                          reroll_value => integer, if the result is not greater
                          then reroll_value, roll again (multiple
                          times is necessary)
                          e.g. roll(4,6,10,3,2)
                          == roll 4d6, reroll any 1 or 2, keep the 3
                          highest values, and add 10 to the total

                          Well, this is a bit ugly and it doesn't allow us to do everything we need. So I ask for three FREQ.

                          1) Please, put all the existing way to call roll in the documentation before we
                          forget. I really don't want to do this again (my nose is bleeding!)

                          2) Two new form of rolls (really, we don't nearly have enough of them)

                          roll(times,"djep")
                          roll(times,"djep",[keep])
                          times => integer, number of time to roll
                          "djep" => string, djep expression that gets fed to the
                          djep parser
                          [keep] => array of integer, index of the dice
                          we want to keep. The dices are sorted
                          from the lower result (index = 1) to
                          the largest result (index = times)
                          e.g. roll(3,"1d5+1") == evaluate the djep expression
                          1d5+1 three times and return the total
                          e.g. roll(4,"1d5+1",[2,3,4])
                          == evaluate the djep expression 1d5+1 four
                          times and return the sum of the three
                          highest values

                          maybe roll(times,"djep",keep) could also be done
                          times => integer, number of time to roll
                          "djep" => string, djep expression that gets fed to the
                          djep parser
                          keep => integer, number of dices to keep, the lower
                          values are dropped
                          e.g. roll(4,"1d5+1",3)
                          == evaluate the djep expression 1d5+1 four
                          times and keep the three highest values

                          I'm not sure though since it add complexity and if we have to choose, I prefer we keep the more versatile [keep] version. I think we should be OK with only three form that use "djep".

                          3) We deprecate all the forms that do not use djep. Let's face it, roll("3d6")
                          or roll(3,"d6") are way clearer then roll(3,6). The djep expressions allow
                          us to do way more.

                          Well, that's about it.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 2, 2005
                            Éric Beaudoin wrote:

                            >At 17:28 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
                            >

                            >>>Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?
                            >>>

                            >>Yes, the source is *inside* the jar ;)
                            >>
                            >>Devon
                            >>

                            >Let's pretend for a second that the only thing I know about the .jar file generation is that I have to type "ant clean build test" when I want to build the PCGen .jar files. How can I get the source out of a .jar that I do not compile myself?

                            Oh, heh :) It's a zip file. just rename it to .zip, and you can open it
                            with your favorite zip tool (or, if you use a command line program, you
                            don't even need to rename it to .zip for many of them).

                            Devon