Re: [pcgen] Add Common Stat Roll methods to gameModes

  • Stefan Radermacher
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
      Kevin Brown wrote:
      > Rerolling ones doesn't cause 2 to have a higher probability than any of
      > the other numbers. Each has a 1/6 chance of showing up, reroll a one,
      > all still have a 1/6 of showing up on the dice. 2 doesn't get any
      > greater preference from this rolling method.

      Right, of course. Somehow I was thinking of counting ones as twos. Don't
      know why. :-)

      Stefan.
    • Éric Beaudoin
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
        At 13:37 2005.10.01, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
        >Éric Beaudoin wrote:
        >>> ROLLMETHOD:4d6, reroll ones, then drop lowest [tab] METHOD: ???
        >>
        >> That would be 4 (d5+1) and keep the three highest. I don't know how to put the +1 in the but for the d5, you just have to replace the 6 with a 5.
        >
        >That is not identical from a statistical point of view. 4d6 and re-roll
        >ones has 2 at 33% probability and 3-6 at 16% each; your method has all
        >numbers 2-5 at 20%.
        >
        >Regards,
        >Stefan.

        Well, if you re-roll the ones until you can something that is not a one, you have a 20% probability for each 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 result. That's what I assume the user wanted because that's the home rule I use.

        If you have only one chance to re-roll the one, you right, the probability is not the same. You have 1/36 to still get a one and 11/30 to get each one of the other results. You are in for a pretty messed up expression four your dice.

        I don't see how re-rolling the one a particular dice make it more probable to get a two. No mater if you re-roll the one 1 time or multiple time, the probability to get any other result on the dice will be evenly distributed.

        Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
        Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
        >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
        <mailto:beaudoer@...>
      • Éric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
          At 13:51 2005.10.01, Éric Beaudoin wrote:
          >If you have only one chance to re-roll the one, you right, the probability is not the same. You have 1/36 to still get a one and 11/30 to get each one of the other results. You are in for a pretty messed up expression four your dice.

          11/30 is not accurate (I need coffee). It should be 7/36. So if you drop the 1, you roll a d35 and divide the result by 7 and this is the same as rolling a d6 and re-rolling once if you get a one. So in rnd(35) return a random value in [ 0 .. 34 ], the dice expression would be floor(rnd(35)/7)+1.

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
            At 13:58 2005.10.01, Éric Beaudoin wrote:
            >11/30 is not accurate (I need coffee). It should be 7/36. So if you drop the 1, you roll a d35 and divide the result by 7 and this is the same as rolling a d6 and re-rolling once if you get a one. So in rnd(35) return a random value in [ 0 .. 34 ], the dice expression would be floor(rnd(35)/7)+1.

            I really need that cooffee, I forgot to account the 1/36 to get the one and nothing pop up right. I'll try again later after my coffee.

            Éric Beaudoin <mailto:beaudoer@...>

            CONCORDE: It goes twice as fast as a bullet and you get smoked salmon.
            -- From A Scientific Encyclopedia for the Enquiring Young Nome
            by Angalo de Haberdasheri
            (Terry Pratchett, Wings)
          • Éric Beaudoin
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
              At 14:01 2005.10.01, Éric Beaudoin wrote:
              >At 13:58 2005.10.01, Éric Beaudoin wrote:
              >>11/30 is not accurate (I need coffee). It should be 7/36. So if you drop the 1, you roll a d35 and divide the result by 7 and this is the same as rolling a d6 and re-rolling once if you get a one. So in rnd(35) return a random value in [ 0 .. 34 ], the dice expression would be floor(rnd(35)/7)+1.
              >
              >I really need that cooffee, I forgot to account the 1/36 to get the one and nothing pop up right. I'll try again later after my coffee.

              Ha coffee, let's do this again.

              We want a formula that has the same probabilistic result as the event rolling a d6 and re-rolling the d6 once if the result for the first roll is 1.

              The probability to get a result of 1 is 1/36. The probability to get any of the other result (2, 3, 4, 5 and 6) is 7/36.

              Let rnd(36) returns a random value that is >= 0 and < 36

              customroll() = floor((rnd(36)+6)/7)+1

              If we use d36 as a function that return a value that is >= 1 and <= 36, we have the following

              customroll() = floor((d36+5)/7)+1

              I think I got it this time. It's really easy so it makes you wonder what I was thinking earlier. Another proof that coffee is indeed a drug.

              Value of d36 Result
              ------------ ------
              1 1
              2 2
              3 2
              4 2
              5 2
              6 2
              7 2
              8 2
              9 3
              10 3
              11 3
              12 3
              13 3
              14 3
              15 3
              16 4
              17 4
              18 4
              19 4
              20 4
              21 4
              22 4
              23 5
              24 5
              25 5
              26 5
              27 5
              28 5
              29 5
              30 6
              31 6
              32 6
              33 6
              34 6
              35 6
              36 6

              Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
              Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
              >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
              <mailto:beaudoer@...>
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                David M. Bebber scribed:

                > I use a varient of the first method: 4d6, reroll ones, then drop lowest.
                > how would you code that?

                If you keep dropping the 1 and reroll until it's not a 1 then that
                statistically amounts to 1d5+1 right? If you keep a 1 on the reroll then the
                odds get complicated, I'm not sure how that would be formulated here.

                But, I don't know how integer additions fit into the syntax of this tag (or
                even if they do), I tried this:

                ROLLMETHOD:4d6, reroll ones, then drop lowest[tab]METHOD:roll(4,5+1,[2,3,4])

                And it seems to work. But maybe not, I changed it to
                METHOD:roll(4,5+10,[2,3,4]) just to see what I'd get, I expected results 30
                points above average but instead I got numbers from the teens on into the
                40's so I really don't know what this is doing.

                One thing I have noticed is that the preference window does not remember
                which one you have selected, every time you open the preferences the menu
                defaults to the first method encountered in the miscinfo.lst file which is
                somewhat inconvenient.
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                  At 14:47 2005.10.01, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                  >But, I don't know how integer additions fit into the syntax of this tag (or
                  >even if they do), I tried this:
                  >
                  >ROLLMETHOD:4d6, reroll ones, then drop lowest[tab]METHOD:roll(4,5+1,[2,3,4])

                  METHOD appears to accept djep expressions. For example, the 3d6 is written simply 3d6.

                  Is there anywhere we can find the full doc for djep or even just for the roll function? My memory tells me that it is a modification of the standard jep parser but I don't remember if it was done in-house or if we got the code from somewhere. There is no license text for djep.jar in the lib folder.

                  Anybody knows?

                  Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                  Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
                  >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                  <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                • Devon Jones
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                    Éric Beaudoin wrote:

                    >At 14:47 2005.10.01, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                    >

                    >>But, I don't know how integer additions fit into the syntax of this tag (or
                    >>even if they do), I tried this:
                    >>
                    >>ROLLMETHOD:4d6, reroll ones, then drop lowest[tab]METHOD:roll(4,5+1,[2,3,4])
                    >>

                    >METHOD appears to accept djep expressions. For example, the 3d6 is written simply 3d6.
                    >
                    >Is there anywhere we can find the full doc for djep or even just for the roll function? My memory tells me that it is a modification of the standard jep parser but I don't remember if it was done in-house or if we got the code from somewhere. There is no license text for djep.jar in the lib folder.
                    >
                    >Anybody knows?

                    it was contributed by one of our coders I think it was Ross Lodge. If
                    it's useing djep, you can do all sorts of crazy stuff, even (1d2)d6 or
                    3d(1d4)+5

                    it's pretty cool ;)

                    Devon
                  • Éric Beaudoin
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                      At 16:10 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
                      >it was contributed by one of our coders I think it was Ross Lodge. If
                      >it's useing djep, you can do all sorts of crazy stuff, even (1d2)d6 or
                      >3d(1d4)+5
                      >
                      >it's pretty cool ;)
                      >
                      >Devon

                      I've look into the doc and I saw some of the coolness you describe but I can't find any reference to the roll() function. Any clue on this?

                      Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                        Éric Beaudoin scribed:

                        > I've look into the doc and I saw some of the coolness you describe but I can't
                        > find any reference to the roll() function. Any clue on this?

                        I asked Greg Bingleman about this recently, he was able to pass me a couple
                        of examples:

                        > Try QTY:roll("2d4")

                        > HARP uses:
                        > FUNDS:GP QTY:roll("10+1d10")

                        This was for the KIT FUNDS tag which can do random starting gold, its about
                        the only place in PCGen (besides the stat METHOD) where this would be
                        useful right now because any other place you would use this in a formula
                        PCGen would roll a new number every time you changed tabs.

                        As always, its on my agenda to get this in the docs along with the random
                        stat rolling stuff and all the other cool toys Greg's thrown in lately.
                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                          At 16:34 2005.10.01, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                          >Éric Beaudoin scribed:
                          >
                          >> I've look into the doc and I saw some of the coolness you describe but I can't
                          >> find any reference to the roll() function. Any clue on this?
                          >
                          >I asked Greg Bingleman about this recently, he was able to pass me a couple
                          >of examples:
                          >
                          >> Try QTY:roll("2d4")
                          >
                          >> HARP uses:
                          >> FUNDS:GP QTY:roll("10+1d10")
                          >
                          >This was for the KIT FUNDS tag which can do random starting gold, its about
                          >the only place in PCGen (besides the stat METHOD) where this would be
                          >useful right now because any other place you would use this in a formula
                          >PCGen would roll a new number every time you changed tabs.
                          >
                          >As always, its on my agenda to get this in the docs along with the random
                          >stat rolling stuff and all the other cool toys Greg's thrown in lately.

                          Happy to ear that.

                          If you point me to the code where the roll function is define, I'm willing to try to see what it does. I don't write Java but I can read it sometimes :-).

                          In this case, I'm very interested to find out how I could make PCGen use (roll) a dice expression a number of time and keep the x greatest (or lowest) rolls out of n. This is what is needed to implement the funky house-rules methods that some users (including me) use.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                            Éric Beaudoin scribed:

                            > If you point me to the code where the roll function is define, I'm willing to
                            > try to see what it does. I don't write Java but I can read it sometimes :-).

                            Ask Greg, I can't even read it.

                            > In this case, I'm very interested to find out how I could make PCGen use
                            > (roll) a dice expression a number of time and keep the x greatest (or lowest)
                            > rolls out of n. This is what is needed to implement the funky house-rules
                            > methods that some users (including me) use.

                            Me too, me know what you learn and I'll include it in the doc entry.
                            --
                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                              Éric Beaudoin wrote:

                              >At 16:10 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
                              >

                              >>it was contributed by one of our coders I think it was Ross Lodge. If
                              >>it's useing djep, you can do all sorts of crazy stuff, even (1d2)d6 or
                              >>3d(1d4)+5
                              >>
                              >>it's pretty cool ;)
                              >>
                              >>Devon
                              >>

                              >I've look into the doc and I saw some of the coolness you describe but I can't find any reference to the roll() function. Any clue on this?
                              >
                              >Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?

                              Yes, the source is *inside* the jar ;)

                              Devon
                            • Éric Beaudoin
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                                At 17:28 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
                                >>Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?
                                >>

                                >Yes, the source is *inside* the jar ;)
                                >
                                >Devon

                                Let's pretend for a second that the only thing I know about the .jar file generation is that I have to type "ant clean build test" when I want to build the PCGen .jar files. How can I get the source out of a .jar that I do not compile myself?

                                Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                                Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
                                >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                                <mailto:beaudoer@...>
                              • Byngl
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                                  The file you want is src/java/pcgen/util/PJEP.java
                                  Do a search for: 10+d10

                                  That'll get you to the definition of the function, but won't be
                                  entirely helpful. What you need to look at is
                                  src/java/pcgen/util/DiceExpression.jj. This file defines the grammar
                                  used to parse the dice expressions. It gets run through javaCC (Java
                                  Compiler Compiler). The .jj file is credited to binkley, so if you'd
                                  like more info, he'd be the one to contact.

                                  Byngl

                                  > Éric Beaudoin scribed:
                                  >
                                  > > If you point me to the code where the roll function is define,
                                  I'm willing to
                                  > > try to see what it does. I don't write Java but I can read it
                                  sometimes :-).

                                  > Ask Greg, I can't even read it.
                                  >
                                  > > In this case, I'm very interested to find out how I could make
                                  PCGen use
                                  > > (roll) a dice expression a number of time and keep the x greatest
                                  (or lowest)
                                  > > rolls out of n. This is what is needed to implement the funky
                                  house-rules
                                  > > methods that some users (including me) use.
                                  >
                                  > Me too, me know what you learn and I'll include it in the doc entry.
                                  > --
                                  > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                  > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                                • Éric Beaudoin
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 1, 2005
                                    At 19:01 2005.10.01, Byngl wrote:
                                    >That'll get you to the definition of the function, but won't be
                                    >entirely helpful. What you need to look at is
                                    >src/java/pcgen/util/DiceExpression.jj. This file defines the grammar
                                    >used to parse the dice expressions. It gets run through javaCC (Java
                                    >Compiler Compiler). The .jj file is credited to binkley, so if you'd
                                    >like more info, he'd be the one to contact.
                                    >
                                    >Byngl

                                    Here's what I can tell about the roll function:

                                    We can invoke the function multiple ways. What the function do is based on the number and type of the parameters.

                                    The type can be integer, array of integer or string.

                                    The roll functions appear to be all defined in \src\java\pcgen\util\DiceExpressionFunctions.java and they all call RollingMethods.roll in \src\java\pcgen\core\RollingMethods.java

                                    When using the roll function, numbers are treated as integer, list of coma separate integer enclosed in [] are treated as array of integers, characters enclosed in "" are treated as strings. I do not know for sure how a string without the "" is interpreted but I think the parser somehow tries to convert it to integer before feed the functions (e.g.. 3d6 without the "" would be seen as 3 or 6 or 36, 5+1 would probably be 6).

                                    The possible ways to call the roll functions are:

                                    General note: all the roll function returns the total of all rolls performed

                                    roll(times,sides) times => integer, number of time to roll
                                    sides => integer, type of dice to roll
                                    e.g. roll(3,6) == 3d6

                                    roll(sides) sides => integer, type of dice to roll
                                    e.g. roll(6) == 1d6
                                    note: this is one form that do not call
                                    RollingMethods.roll but call Globals.getRandomInt
                                    directly instead

                                    roll(times,sides,[keep])
                                    times => integer, number of time to roll
                                    sides => integer, type of dice to roll
                                    [keep] => array of integer, index of the dice
                                    we want to keep. The dices are sorted
                                    from the lower result (index = 1) to
                                    the largest result (index = times)
                                    e.g. roll(4,6,[2,3,4]) == 4d6, keep the three best

                                    roll(times,[sides]) times => integer, number of time to roll
                                    [sides] => array of integer, possible dice to choose
                                    from randomly
                                    e.g. roll(4,[4,6]) == roll four times, each time you
                                    randomly choose a d4 or a d6
                                    note: this is one form that do not call
                                    RollingMethods.roll but call Globals.getRandomInt
                                    directly instead.
                                    Whoever code this called it bizarre dice
                                    rolling with good reason.

                                    roll(times,[sides],[keep])
                                    times => integer, number of time to roll
                                    [sides] => array of integer, possible dice to choose
                                    [keep] => array of integer, index of the dice
                                    we want to keep. The dices are sorted
                                    from the lower result (index = 1) to
                                    the largest result (index = times)
                                    e.g. roll(4,[4,6],[3,4])
                                    == roll four times, each time you randomly
                                    choose a d4 or a d6, and you keep only the
                                    two best results
                                    note: this is one form that do not call
                                    RollingMethods.roll but call Globals.getRandomInt
                                    directly instead.
                                    Whoever code this called it bizarre dice
                                    rolling with good reason.

                                    roll("djep") "djep" => string, djep expression that gets fed to the
                                    djep parser
                                    e.g. roll("3d6") == 3d6

                                    And the last but certainly not the least clear

                                    roll(times,sides,modifier,keep,reroll_value)
                                    times => integer, number of time to roll
                                    sides => integer, type of dice to roll
                                    modifier => integer, value that gets added to the total
                                    after all the rolls are done
                                    keep => integer, number of dices to keep, the lower
                                    values are dropped
                                    reroll_value => integer, if the result is not greater
                                    then reroll_value, roll again (multiple
                                    times is necessary)
                                    e.g. roll(4,6,10,3,2)
                                    == roll 4d6, reroll any 1 or 2, keep the 3
                                    highest values, and add 10 to the total

                                    Well, this is a bit ugly and it doesn't allow us to do everything we need. So I ask for three FREQ.

                                    1) Please, put all the existing way to call roll in the documentation before we
                                    forget. I really don't want to do this again (my nose is bleeding!)

                                    2) Two new form of rolls (really, we don't nearly have enough of them)

                                    roll(times,"djep")
                                    roll(times,"djep",[keep])
                                    times => integer, number of time to roll
                                    "djep" => string, djep expression that gets fed to the
                                    djep parser
                                    [keep] => array of integer, index of the dice
                                    we want to keep. The dices are sorted
                                    from the lower result (index = 1) to
                                    the largest result (index = times)
                                    e.g. roll(3,"1d5+1") == evaluate the djep expression
                                    1d5+1 three times and return the total
                                    e.g. roll(4,"1d5+1",[2,3,4])
                                    == evaluate the djep expression 1d5+1 four
                                    times and return the sum of the three
                                    highest values

                                    maybe roll(times,"djep",keep) could also be done
                                    times => integer, number of time to roll
                                    "djep" => string, djep expression that gets fed to the
                                    djep parser
                                    keep => integer, number of dices to keep, the lower
                                    values are dropped
                                    e.g. roll(4,"1d5+1",3)
                                    == evaluate the djep expression 1d5+1 four
                                    times and keep the three highest values

                                    I'm not sure though since it add complexity and if we have to choose, I prefer we keep the more versatile [keep] version. I think we should be OK with only three form that use "djep".

                                    3) We deprecate all the forms that do not use djep. Let's face it, roll("3d6")
                                    or roll(3,"d6") are way clearer then roll(3,6). The djep expressions allow
                                    us to do way more.

                                    Well, that's about it.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 2, 2005
                                      Éric Beaudoin wrote:

                                      >At 17:28 2005.10.01, Devon Jones wrote:
                                      >

                                      >>>Also, if it was contributed by someone in the PCGen family, we should put out a license text for it and 1) recognize the contribution 2) give it a license that is compatible with the jep license if it is based on the jep source code. Do we have the source for djet BTW?
                                      >>>

                                      >>Yes, the source is *inside* the jar ;)
                                      >>
                                      >>Devon
                                      >>

                                      >Let's pretend for a second that the only thing I know about the .jar file generation is that I have to type "ant clean build test" when I want to build the PCGen .jar files. How can I get the source out of a .jar that I do not compile myself?

                                      Oh, heh :) It's a zip file. just rename it to .zip, and you can open it
                                      with your favorite zip tool (or, if you use a command line program, you
                                      don't even need to rename it to .zip for many of them).

                                      Devon