Re: [pcgen] Help on a MAC

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30 11:19 AM
      --- Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

      > Okay, there was some discussion sometime within the last couple of weeks
      > on how to get PCGen to use more memory on a Mac. But I'll be damned if I
      > can find it. There's some people over on CMP's forums asking about that.

      First, launch a Terminal window. That gives you a command line. Yeah, I
      know... a Unix command line on a Mac... it creeped me out the first time. ;-)

      From the command line, cd to the directory where your PCGen install lives.
      Then launch java to run PCGen with the memory-adding parameters. It's the
      same syntax as running it on a PC from the command line. Something like:

      # java -Xms 256M -Xmx 256M -jar pcgen.jar

      (That may not be quite right, but something like that. You might have a
      machine handy where you can verify the syntax.)

      It works like a charm, and makes a *huge* difference in how well PCGen
      performs on a Mac. :-)

      It has the added benefit that you get to see any error messages which are
      directed to the console (stdout or stderr), which can be a big help in
      debugging LST files.

      Michael
    • Jay
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@s...> wrote:
        > --- Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
        > > Okay, there was some discussion sometime within the last couple of
        weeks
        > > on how to get PCGen to use more memory on a Mac. But I'll be
        damned if I
        > > can find it. There's some people over on CMP's forums asking about
        that.
        > First, launch a Terminal window. That gives you a command line.
        Yeah, I
        > know... a Unix command line on a Mac... it creeped me out the first
        time. ;-)

        > From the command line, cd to the directory where your PCGen install
        lives.
        > Then launch java to run PCGen with the memory-adding parameters.
        It's the
        > same syntax as running it on a PC from the command line. Something
        like:

        > # java -Xms 256M -Xmx 256M -jar pcgen.jar
        >
        > (That may not be quite right, but something like that. You might
        have a
        > machine handy where you can verify the syntax.)
        >
        > It works like a charm, and makes a *huge* difference in how well
        PCGen
        > performs on a Mac. :-)
        >
        > It has the added benefit that you get to see any error messages
        which are
        > directed to the console (stdout or stderr), which can be a big help
        in
        > debugging LST files.

        There's a file called "mac-pcgen-build_v2.txt" in the Files section (I
        think it's under the OS-Specific intallation) that tells you how you
        can build a double-clickable Mac application bundle with your custom
        memory settings; the downside is that you lose the error messages
        being output to the terminal window...

        Jay (=
      • Éric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
          At 19:45 2005.10.02, Jay wrote:
          >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@s...> wrote:
          >> --- Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
          >> > Okay, there was some discussion sometime within the last couple of
          >weeks
          >> > on how to get PCGen to use more memory on a Mac. But I'll be
          >damned if I
          >> > can find it. There's some people over on CMP's forums asking about
          >that.
          >> First, launch a Terminal window. That gives you a command line.
          >Yeah, I
          >> know... a Unix command line on a Mac... it creeped me out the first
          >time. ;-)
          >>
          >> From the command line, cd to the directory where your PCGen install
          >lives.
          >> Then launch java to run PCGen with the memory-adding parameters.
          >It's the
          >> same syntax as running it on a PC from the command line. Something
          >like:
          >>
          >> # java -Xms 256M -Xmx 256M -jar pcgen.jar
          >>
          >> (That may not be quite right, but something like that. You might
          >have a
          >> machine handy where you can verify the syntax.)
          >>
          >> It works like a charm, and makes a *huge* difference in how well
          >PCGen
          >> performs on a Mac. :-)
          >>
          >> It has the added benefit that you get to see any error messages
          >which are
          >> directed to the console (stdout or stderr), which can be a big help
          >in
          >> debugging LST files.
          >
          >There's a file called "mac-pcgen-build_v2.txt" in the Files section (I
          >think it's under the OS-Specific intallation) that tells you how you
          >can build a double-clickable Mac application bundle with your custom
          >memory settings; the downside is that you lose the error messages
          >being output to the terminal window...
          >
          >Jay (=

          Be careful, I don't think the build instruction works with Tiger.

          Éric Beaudoin <mailto:beaudoer@...>

          "Bikkit!"
          -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)
        • Jay
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, �ric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...>
            wrote:
            > At 19:45 2005.10.02, Jay wrote:
            > >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@s...> wrote:
            > >There's a file called "mac-pcgen-build_v2.txt" in the Files
            section (I
            > >think it's under the OS-Specific intallation) that tells you how
            you
            > >can build a double-clickable Mac application bundle with your
            custom
            > >memory settings; the downside is that you lose the error messages
            > >being output to the terminal window...

            > Be careful, I don't think the build instruction works with Tiger.

            It should; it's the one I uploaded, which has Tiger build
            instructions. (It's the same as the one I posted the other day...)

            Jay (=