Help on a MAC

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
      Okay, there was some discussion sometime within the last couple of weeks
      on how to get PCGen to use more memory on a Mac. But I'll be damned if I
      can find it. There's some people over on CMP's forums asking about that.

      http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtop
      ic&t=10964

      Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
      PCGen BoD OGL Silverback, Data & Tracker Lemur
      Holder of Sacred SRD Knowledge
      ICQ: 14397299
      AO: Nylan
      CoH:Nylan Neblett
      Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

      "I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks"
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
        --- Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

        > Okay, there was some discussion sometime within the last couple of weeks
        > on how to get PCGen to use more memory on a Mac. But I'll be damned if I
        > can find it. There's some people over on CMP's forums asking about that.

        First, launch a Terminal window. That gives you a command line. Yeah, I
        know... a Unix command line on a Mac... it creeped me out the first time. ;-)

        From the command line, cd to the directory where your PCGen install lives.
        Then launch java to run PCGen with the memory-adding parameters. It's the
        same syntax as running it on a PC from the command line. Something like:

        # java -Xms 256M -Xmx 256M -jar pcgen.jar

        (That may not be quite right, but something like that. You might have a
        machine handy where you can verify the syntax.)

        It works like a charm, and makes a *huge* difference in how well PCGen
        performs on a Mac. :-)

        It has the added benefit that you get to see any error messages which are
        directed to the console (stdout or stderr), which can be a big help in
        debugging LST files.

        Michael
      • Jay
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@s...> wrote:
          > --- Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
          > > Okay, there was some discussion sometime within the last couple of
          weeks
          > > on how to get PCGen to use more memory on a Mac. But I'll be
          damned if I
          > > can find it. There's some people over on CMP's forums asking about
          that.
          > First, launch a Terminal window. That gives you a command line.
          Yeah, I
          > know... a Unix command line on a Mac... it creeped me out the first
          time. ;-)

          > From the command line, cd to the directory where your PCGen install
          lives.
          > Then launch java to run PCGen with the memory-adding parameters.
          It's the
          > same syntax as running it on a PC from the command line. Something
          like:

          > # java -Xms 256M -Xmx 256M -jar pcgen.jar
          >
          > (That may not be quite right, but something like that. You might
          have a
          > machine handy where you can verify the syntax.)
          >
          > It works like a charm, and makes a *huge* difference in how well
          PCGen
          > performs on a Mac. :-)
          >
          > It has the added benefit that you get to see any error messages
          which are
          > directed to the console (stdout or stderr), which can be a big help
          in
          > debugging LST files.

          There's a file called "mac-pcgen-build_v2.txt" in the Files section (I
          think it's under the OS-Specific intallation) that tells you how you
          can build a double-clickable Mac application bundle with your custom
          memory settings; the downside is that you lose the error messages
          being output to the terminal window...

          Jay (=
        • Éric Beaudoin
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
            At 19:45 2005.10.02, Jay wrote:
            >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@s...> wrote:
            >> --- Paul Grosse <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
            >> > Okay, there was some discussion sometime within the last couple of
            >weeks
            >> > on how to get PCGen to use more memory on a Mac. But I'll be
            >damned if I
            >> > can find it. There's some people over on CMP's forums asking about
            >that.
            >> First, launch a Terminal window. That gives you a command line.
            >Yeah, I
            >> know... a Unix command line on a Mac... it creeped me out the first
            >time. ;-)
            >>
            >> From the command line, cd to the directory where your PCGen install
            >lives.
            >> Then launch java to run PCGen with the memory-adding parameters.
            >It's the
            >> same syntax as running it on a PC from the command line. Something
            >like:
            >>
            >> # java -Xms 256M -Xmx 256M -jar pcgen.jar
            >>
            >> (That may not be quite right, but something like that. You might
            >have a
            >> machine handy where you can verify the syntax.)
            >>
            >> It works like a charm, and makes a *huge* difference in how well
            >PCGen
            >> performs on a Mac. :-)
            >>
            >> It has the added benefit that you get to see any error messages
            >which are
            >> directed to the console (stdout or stderr), which can be a big help
            >in
            >> debugging LST files.
            >
            >There's a file called "mac-pcgen-build_v2.txt" in the Files section (I
            >think it's under the OS-Specific intallation) that tells you how you
            >can build a double-clickable Mac application bundle with your custom
            >memory settings; the downside is that you lose the error messages
            >being output to the terminal window...
            >
            >Jay (=

            Be careful, I don't think the build instruction works with Tiger.

            Éric Beaudoin <mailto:beaudoer@...>

            "Bikkit!"
            -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)
          • Jay
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, �ric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...>
              wrote:
              > At 19:45 2005.10.02, Jay wrote:
              > >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Michael <java_kensai@s...> wrote:
              > >There's a file called "mac-pcgen-build_v2.txt" in the Files
              section (I
              > >think it's under the OS-Specific intallation) that tells you how
              you
              > >can build a double-clickable Mac application bundle with your
              custom
              > >memory settings; the downside is that you lose the error messages
              > >being output to the terminal window...

              > Be careful, I don't think the build instruction works with Tiger.

              It should; it's the one I uploaded, which has Tiger build
              instructions. (It's the same as the one I posted the other day...)

              Jay (=