Re: Data Monkey Meeting log - 9/28/05

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
      > <[Content_SB]mosat> hi guys

      Sorry I didn't make, had a previous commitment

      > <[Content_SB]mosat> hmm and I just thought of a way around the kit
      problem
      > <[Content_SB]mosat> we have a REMOVE:FEAT tag now right? we can just
      remove
      > the Archaic prof feat if it has been chosen

      BTW, I been forgetting to mention, Prettylst reports REMOVE:FEAT as an
      invalid class tag.

      > <[Content_SB]mosat> well I've already started going through our data
      > trackers and sorting them

      I plan on trackering and working on those items James Blakeney has
      been posting as soon as I can remove the Uber-Stick (tm) from RL hands.

      > <[Content_SB]mosat> Characters approved for use in object names are:
      upper
      > and lower case letters, numbers, single spaces in between multiple words
      > (never before or after) and the following glyphs: underscore (_),
      dash (-),
      > apostrophe ('), parentheses (), and a slash (/).
      > <[Content_SB]mosat> thats about three lines in my window ya'll see it?
      > <kingpaul> yep
      > <[DM]Frank_Kliewe> yep
      > <[Content_SB]mosat> now here's the thing
      > <kingpaul> but don't parens cause problems elsewhere?
      > <kingpaul> and dashes for that matter?
      > <[Content_SB]mosat> that's the issue
      > <[Content_SB]mosat> if this standard is adopted we need the code
      team to be
      > on board
      > <[Content_SB]mosat> because when issues relating to name characters
      come up
      > they need to be P9 squashed asap
      > <[Content_SB]mosat> or we might as well not adopt that standard for the
      > trouble it will cause

      I would agree with this. The code monkeys really have more important
      things to do IMO. OUTPUNAME might not be the prefered solution but it
      does work.

      > <[DM]Frank_Kliewe> What can Abilities already do at this time?

      I was wondering: there is a PrC I need to code for my personal files
      as I intend to use it for a character. One of the prereqs is:

      Evasion from a race or class ability.

      I presume it's written this way to preclude using a Ring of Evasion to
      qualify. I know the current feat coding cannot do this. Does the spec
      for Ability include the ability to tell how the character acquired the
      ability? (that was repetitive) If not, is this a resonable/useful
      ability :\ to ask for?
    • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
        No, the way Eddy seems to want it is a TYPE tag to tell if it is a Class Ability or not. What we need, and will have eventually, is a way to tell what objects grant what (from CDOM). After Devon's team has cleaned up the code, he's promised they'll be going to that, and we'll start having lots more options there.

        I personally think putting "ClassAbility" etc in the TYPEs is a Bad Idea. Shot-gun method to solving a problem, that will cover maybe 80% of what we need, but not the stuff we will really need it for, like Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, etc. I don't see the point for the maintenance overhead; either we can do something, and right, or let's not in our data.

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp

        > I was wondering: there is a PrC I need to code for my personal files
        > as I intend to use it for a character. One of the prereqs is:
        >
        > Evasion from a race or class ability.
        >
        > I presume it's written this way to preclude using a Ring of Evasion to
        > qualify. I know the current feat coding cannot do this. Does the spec
        > for Ability include the ability to tell how the character acquired the
        > ability? (that was repetitive) If not, is this a resonable/useful
        > ability :\ to ask for?
      • boomer70
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
          --- "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...>

          https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1170710&group_id=3
          > 6698&atid=417819
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> in modern some creature type get
          > to choose either
          > Archaic weapons or simple
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> I had come up with a solution
          > but the KIT set up will
          > make it not work
          > <[DM]Frank_Kliewe> yeah I'm waiting for the tracker
          > to display
          > <[DM]Frank_Kliewe> that darn satelite can be slow
          > sometimes
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> I was just wondering how
          > important you think this is to
          > modern playters
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> er, modern players
          > <kingpaul> why does KIT break a choice?
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> it doesn't
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> here's the thing
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> it appear that default monsters
          > always choose the simple
          > prof
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> if the CHOOSE is implemented
          > from the type template or
          > race then the choice happens during race selection
          > <[DM]Frank_Kliewe> it would be nice to have, but I
          > wouldn't consider it for
          > 5.8.1.
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> since the kit is applied after
          > that it has no say in the
          > matter
          > <kingpaul> i think i get it
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> It's easy enough to do, I've
          > already got it done really
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> as long as a chooser window at
          > race selection dosn't
          > bother anyone
          > <[Content_SB]mosat> but yeah, I'm not going to try
          > this for 5.8.1

          The PROF tag in the kit code is intended to handle
          this. As you point out though, if the creature
          already has a monster level it won't work. I am not
          sure how this would work with races that "don't have a
          monster level" (i.e. that replace it with a character
          class) or if that would apply in this case.

          -Aaron

          ----------------
          Aaron Divinsky
          PCGen Data Tamarin, Doc Lemur

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
            On 9/30/05 1:15 PM, "boomer70" <boomer70@...> wrote:

            >> <[Content_SB]mosat> since the kit is applied after
            >> that it has no say in the
            >> matter

            > The PROF tag in the kit code is intended to handle
            > this. As you point out though, if the creature
            > already has a monster level it won't work. I am not
            > sure how this would work with races that "don't have a
            > monster level" (i.e. that replace it with a character
            > class) or if that would apply in this case.

            He's the idea I had, the default kit for those monsters that get the choice
            would all get a template with REMOVE:FEAT to take the Archaic profs out and
            an ADD:FEAT to add the Simple Prof in, shouldn't be a problem I just needed
            to think about it a bit :-)
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback