Re: Tracker Numbers - How we are doing

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2005
      OK, well 601 trackers + 4342 missing Javadoc comments, oh and one P9
      bug, which should probably take precedence ;p

      And I promised the data team some freqs as well, hmmm, I need to get
      my dev environment sorted.

      And besides, I'm sure all of the coders will be helping out with the
      Javadocs ;p

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
      > But I thought you had over 5000...javadocs to place
      > *ducks, runs, hides*
    • David M. Bebber
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
        I noticed that this Freq is a priority 5 with no assigned monkey... I was
        wondering if any progress has been made on it, as I have an intrest in
        compressing the data files. I carry my PCGen with me on a USB thumbdrive
        everywhere I go :)

        As a novice coder I am unsure if I could lend much help in the way of raw
        code, but I am considering checking out the Java source on
        http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/

        Ideally this could be implemented as a plugin.
      • Kevin Brown
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
          > I noticed that this Freq is a priority 5 with no assigned monkey... I
          > was wondering if any progress has been made on it, as I have an
          > intrest in compressing the data files. I carry my PCGen with me on a
          > USB thumbdrive everywhere I go :)
          >
          > As a novice coder I am unsure if I could lend much help in the way of
          > raw code, but I am considering checking out the Java source on
          > http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/
          >
          > Ideally this could be implemented as a plugin.

          Not sure how much of an advantage this would be. Yes it would reduce
          the amount of disk space used up, but would drastically slow down things
          like loading of sources and even just seeking through them for the
          source names (PCC files).

          Given the size of thumb drives (512MB - 2GB), reducing 10MB of data
          would not be worth a whole lot relative to the performance hit.
        • karianna03
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
            Hi both,

            During our review of the FREQs it was deemed that this was a desirable
            FREQ, but not a priority. Unless a code monkey voluntarily picks this
            up I doubt this will be done until the 6.0+ release.

            Our apologies for this, but with over 200 feature requests, well you
            get the idea :-).

            Karianna

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Brown" <kevin_brown@q...> wrote:
            > > I noticed that this Freq is a priority 5 with no assigned monkey... I
            > > was wondering if any progress has been made on it, as I have an
            > > intrest in compressing the data files. I carry my PCGen with me on a
            > > USB thumbdrive everywhere I go :)
            > >
            > > As a novice coder I am unsure if I could lend much help in the way of
            > > raw code, but I am considering checking out the Java source on
            > > http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/
            > >
            > > Ideally this could be implemented as a plugin.
            >
            > Not sure how much of an advantage this would be. Yes it would reduce
            > the amount of disk space used up, but would drastically slow down
            things
            > like loading of sources and even just seeking through them for the
            > source names (PCC files).
            >
            > Given the size of thumb drives (512MB - 2GB), reducing 10MB of data
            > would not be worth a whole lot relative to the performance hit.
          • david allan finch
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
              Kevin Brown wrote:
              > Not sure how much of an advantage this would be. Yes it would reduce
              > the amount of disk space used up, but would drastically slow down things
              > like loading of sources and even just seeking through them for the
              > source names (PCC files).
              >
              > Given the size of thumb drives (512MB - 2GB), reducing 10MB of data
              > would not be worth a whole lot relative to the performance hit.

              One of the major problems is the time it takes to read things off disk.
              If the time to decompress is less than the time to read off disk then it
              is worth the effort. I would suggest that, without testing you will
              never know, that you might find that with all the files that PCgen needs
              in one Zip file (there is a cost to opening a file) that it might be
              worth it the effort.

              Regards
              Dave