Tracker Numbers - How we are doing

  • karianna03
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hi all,

      New Spreadsheet detailing number of open trackers on a weekly basis is
      now in the Tracker Monkey folder in the files section.

      We have 601 Open trackers folks <karianna beams>.

      The good news is that about a month ago it was more like 800+, Feature
      Requests and Bugs have dropped significantly (about 100 each). So go us!!

      So the user base knows, we're working hard to eliminate the trackers
      in PCGENDM and PCGENDocs so we can re merge the projects.

      Karianna
      <Who has 601 reasons to keep going now ;p>
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2005
        But I thought you had over 5000...javadocs to place
        *ducks, runs, hides*

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2005
          OK, well 601 trackers + 4342 missing Javadoc comments, oh and one P9
          bug, which should probably take precedence ;p

          And I promised the data team some freqs as well, hmmm, I need to get
          my dev environment sorted.

          And besides, I'm sure all of the coders will be helping out with the
          Javadocs ;p

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
          > But I thought you had over 5000...javadocs to place
          > *ducks, runs, hides*
        • David M. Bebber
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
            I noticed that this Freq is a priority 5 with no assigned monkey... I was
            wondering if any progress has been made on it, as I have an intrest in
            compressing the data files. I carry my PCGen with me on a USB thumbdrive
            everywhere I go :)

            As a novice coder I am unsure if I could lend much help in the way of raw
            code, but I am considering checking out the Java source on
            http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/

            Ideally this could be implemented as a plugin.
          • Kevin Brown
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
              > I noticed that this Freq is a priority 5 with no assigned monkey... I
              > was wondering if any progress has been made on it, as I have an
              > intrest in compressing the data files. I carry my PCGen with me on a
              > USB thumbdrive everywhere I go :)
              >
              > As a novice coder I am unsure if I could lend much help in the way of
              > raw code, but I am considering checking out the Java source on
              > http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/
              >
              > Ideally this could be implemented as a plugin.

              Not sure how much of an advantage this would be. Yes it would reduce
              the amount of disk space used up, but would drastically slow down things
              like loading of sources and even just seeking through them for the
              source names (PCC files).

              Given the size of thumb drives (512MB - 2GB), reducing 10MB of data
              would not be worth a whole lot relative to the performance hit.
            • karianna03
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
                Hi both,

                During our review of the FREQs it was deemed that this was a desirable
                FREQ, but not a priority. Unless a code monkey voluntarily picks this
                up I doubt this will be done until the 6.0+ release.

                Our apologies for this, but with over 200 feature requests, well you
                get the idea :-).

                Karianna

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Brown" <kevin_brown@q...> wrote:
                > > I noticed that this Freq is a priority 5 with no assigned monkey... I
                > > was wondering if any progress has been made on it, as I have an
                > > intrest in compressing the data files. I carry my PCGen with me on a
                > > USB thumbdrive everywhere I go :)
                > >
                > > As a novice coder I am unsure if I could lend much help in the way of
                > > raw code, but I am considering checking out the Java source on
                > > http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/
                > >
                > > Ideally this could be implemented as a plugin.
                >
                > Not sure how much of an advantage this would be. Yes it would reduce
                > the amount of disk space used up, but would drastically slow down
                things
                > like loading of sources and even just seeking through them for the
                > source names (PCC files).
                >
                > Given the size of thumb drives (512MB - 2GB), reducing 10MB of data
                > would not be worth a whole lot relative to the performance hit.
              • david allan finch
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 7, 2005
                  Kevin Brown wrote:
                  > Not sure how much of an advantage this would be. Yes it would reduce
                  > the amount of disk space used up, but would drastically slow down things
                  > like loading of sources and even just seeking through them for the
                  > source names (PCC files).
                  >
                  > Given the size of thumb drives (512MB - 2GB), reducing 10MB of data
                  > would not be worth a whole lot relative to the performance hit.

                  One of the major problems is the time it takes to read things off disk.
                  If the time to decompress is less than the time to read off disk then it
                  is worth the effort. I would suggest that, without testing you will
                  never know, that you might find that with all the files that PCgen needs
                  in one Zip file (there is a cost to opening a file) that it might be
                  worth it the effort.

                  Regards
                  Dave