Data team meeting

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
      Just to clarify, I'll be in the pcgen irc tonight for a semi-formal data
      team meeting (around 9pm EST). The agenda: short term priorities for the
      5.10 feature scope.

      Devon has put forth a 2-3 month time frame for 5.10 so there is a need to
      set goals for that.

      Everyone is welcome to attend, since we can only ask for volunteers it would
      be great if we had people there to step up and take on some tasks.

      To get things rolling here's some items I think we need to get done this
      cycle:

      Complete the Core datasets. This means Epic, Divine and Future. Epic and
      Divine are close, Future needs some work, I'd like to take on Robots but
      Equipment needs to be done as well.

      Tracker review. Already underway :-)

      Core dataset cleanup, running prettylst on the SRD and RSRD reveals a number
      of issues. We need to tackle this list, either identify and fix the issue or
      if it not an issue open a prettylst tracker to update prettylst on it.

      Renaming issues. We have been somewhat paralyzed in that there are a number
      of items such as the Willpower check and various class names which need to
      be renamed to their correct published forms but we can't do this without
      breaking characters and/or homebrew datasets.

      When we were having this discussion someone suggested (Andrew I think) of
      reworking the LST converter so that it could be data driven, what I imagine
      this to mean is that we would have a system level text file in which we
      could enter simple Name, VAR and KEY changes which the LST converter would
      just load and run, this way the data team could enter those changes as they
      are made and not need to pass it to the code team. It would probably be good
      to make this gameMode specific, maybe have a conversions.lst file with those
      changes.

      Can I get some feed back from a coder on the feasibility of this?
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
        --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

        > Everyone is welcome to attend, since we can only ask
        > for volunteers it would
        > be great if we had people there to step up and take
        > on some tasks.

        I don't know if I will be able to get there. Where is
        the IRC channel exactly anyway?
        If I am not there feel free to volunteer me for
        anything that you need.

        > Renaming issues. We have been somewhat paralyzed in
        > that there are a number
        > of items such as the Willpower check and various
        > class names which need to
        > be renamed to their correct published forms but we
        > can't do this without
        > breaking characters and/or homebrew datasets.
        >
        > When we were having this discussion someone
        > suggested (Andrew I think) of
        > reworking the LST converter so that it could be data
        > driven, what I imagine
        > this to mean is that we would have a system level
        > text file in which we
        > could enter simple Name, VAR and KEY changes which
        > the LST converter would
        > just load and run, this way the data team could
        > enter those changes as they
        > are made and not need to pass it to the code team.
        > It would probably be good
        > to make this gameMode specific, maybe have a
        > conversions.lst file with those
        > changes.
        >
        > Can I get some feed back from a coder on the
        > feasibility of this?

        I don't know how the LST converter works but the basic
        task is extremely simple so it shouldn't be too much
        work to stick it into whatever framework we need it
        in.

        -Aaron

        ----------------
        Aaron Divinsky
        PCGen Data Tamarin, Doc Lemur

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Frank Kliewe
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005

          It's on Dalnet. The channel is #pcgen. (That's where the BOD meetings take
          place)

          > If I am not there feel free to volunteer me for
          > anything that you need.

          I'd be careful to make statements like that. Paul K. might want to have his
          toilet cleaned. ;-)

          Cheerio,

          Frank Kliewe
          PCGen Data Gibbon & OS Lemur

          --
          No I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have
          enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
            Eddy Anthony scribed:

            > Just to clarify, I'll be in the pcgen irc tonight for a semi-formal data
            > team meeting (around 9pm EST).

            OK that was short notice so let's do this again next week, Thursday unless
            anyone wants a different day to fit it into their schedule.

            By then we should have been through the trackers and we can talk about the
            tricky ones.

            After that maybe a once a month thing?
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
              All of this industry is going to make me burst with pride soon, gives
              me one less team to chase though, a nice problem to have :-)

              Karianna
              <Off to form more teams to keep herself in a job>

              > Eddy Anthony scribed:
              >
              > > Just to clarify, I'll be in the pcgen irc tonight for a
              semi-formal data
              > > team meeting (around 9pm EST).
              >
              > OK that was short notice so let's do this again next week, Thursday
              unless
              > anyone wants a different day to fit it into their schedule.
              >
              > By then we should have been through the trackers and we can talk
              about the
              > tricky ones.
              >
              > After that maybe a once a month thing?
              > --
              > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
                On 9/30/05 4:30 AM, "karianna03" <karianna@...> wrote:

                > All of this industry is going to make me burst with pride soon,

                Keeps the ninja monkeys at bay too ;-)
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ PCGen Content Silverback