Re: [pcgen] Digest Number 4333

  • Andrew Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2005
      On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 01:34:57AM -0400, Twinsjla@... wrote:
      > Hello I have been using PC Gen for years now and have enjoyed it
      > growth and improvements along the way. I finally broke down bought 4
      > of the data sets from Code Monkey that would provide me with the sets
      > I use in my various campaigns. I have a 1.7 Ghz processing speed, 1
      > gig of RAM and run Windows XP Pro. After loading all the data sets it
      > is taking more than 15 for PC gen 5.6.1 to load, and interminable time
      > for anything to happen when making a character and it doesn't like to
      > shut down. Any suggestions?

      Several:

      Have you increased the amount of memory available to java? If you don't
      know that answer to this, look in pcgen.bat, there should be two lines
      for invoking pcgen, one of them will be commented out

      REM java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar
      java -jar pcgen.jar

      if you're still using the version without the -X switches then change it
      to use the -X version.

      Secondly, when you say that you're loading all the dta sets, what do you
      mean exactly? loading too many data sets can cause problems as well.

      andrew
      --
      Pisces: (Feb. 19 - March 20)
      Sometimes success is just showing up - not as often as being the son of
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2005
        I'm glad you've enjoyed PCGen for so many years!

        As Andrew notes, generally when anyone has slowness issues while using
        a rather beefy machine, we recommend editing the pcgen.bat file so you
        can turn on the high memory allocation for java. Other strategies
        include loading only the minimum number of books that you know you'll
        use rather than just loading everything. If you're still having
        trouble, making sure you only have one character tab at a time is also
        good - i.e. when you're done with a character, save/close it before
        you load/create another one to work on.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@r...> wrote:
        > On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 01:34:57AM -0400, Twinsjla@a... wrote:
        > > Hello I have been using PC Gen for years now and have enjoyed it
        > > growth and improvements along the way. I finally broke down bought 4
        > > of the data sets from Code Monkey that would provide me with the sets
        > > I use in my various campaigns. I have a 1.7 Ghz processing speed, 1
        > > gig of RAM and run Windows XP Pro. After loading all the data sets it
        > > is taking more than 15 for PC gen 5.6.1 to load, and interminable time
        > > for anything to happen when making a character and it doesn't like to
        > > shut down. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Several:
        >
        > Have you increased the amount of memory available to java? If you don't
        > know that answer to this, look in pcgen.bat, there should be two lines
        > for invoking pcgen, one of them will be commented out
        >
        > REM java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar
        > java -jar pcgen.jar

      • Terry FitzSimons
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2005
          I want to point out the CMP (Code Monkey Publishing) just released last
          month updates for the current stable version 5.8.0 of PCGen so you might
          want to check and see if you have the 5.6.1 versions or the 5.8.0.

          If you actually ended up with the 5.6.1 versions someone will need to tell
          you the corrections for its PCGen,bat 5.6.1 as I have the same problems but
          only have a quarter gig of actual memory and 2 gigs of vertical memory

          Well I will tell you to change the PCGen.bat instructions from 5.8.0 from:

          REM Uncomment the following line and comment out the last line
          REM if you have Out of Memory problems. The value after -Xmx is the
          REM maximum amount of memory that PCGen will be allowed to use.
          REM It defaults to 64MB.
          REM The value after -Xms is the starting memory, using both then to speed
          up PCGEN.
          REM java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar
          java -jar pcgen.jar

          to:

          REM Uncomment the following line and comment out the last line
          REM if you have Out of Memory problems. The value after -Xmx is the
          REM maximum amount of memory that PCGen will be allowed to use.
          REM It defaults to 64MB.
          REM The value after -Xms is the starting memory, using both then to speed
          up PCGEN.
          java -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar
          REM java -jar pcgen.jar

          Which is basically move the REM from the second to last line to the last
          line to make more memory available.

          If you actually have the 5.8.0 version that is. Don't know if you know it
          or not, but you also need the core rules as the CMP datasets use their
          (CMP's) rules sets and not PcGen's.

          Usually when I load a new version of the program, I have to burn it in
          slowly. Start up, shut down. Start up, set preferences, shut down. Start
          up, set preferences, load a core set, shut down. Start up, set
          preferences, load a core set, make a test character, shut down. ect, ect,
          ect till it runs as fast as I think I can get it to go for functionality.

          --

          Terry FitzSimons
          FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)