PCGen, and Friends....

  • Mike Latimer
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 24, 2005
      Okay Im sure the folks who frequent the many PCGen boards are getting
      sick of me. I Fear not, I'm not a mad spammer, just on a quest, and
      trying to cover all the bases. I am interested in finding out
      anything, and all I can about PCGen, as it relates to OpenRPG. Perhaps
      someone knows who was responsible for creating the original OpenRPG
      .xml templates. Im a bit of a newb in the area of .xml coding, my
      interest lies more in the utilisation of PCGen in conjunction with
      OpenRPG. It is a huge timesaver, to not have to enter all theat raw
      data yorself and create the multiple macros that the template creates,
      it saves so much time. Im not sure why someone would not want to use it.
      But what am I trying to sell you folks on it for? Anyways if anybody
      has anything to offer in the way of finding out how to create the
      template sheets I would be grateful. I want to learn how to create my
      own if I can, Im a bit of newcomer to modern day programming,I used to
      be a pretty handy with BASIC, way long time ago....I say just so you
      know I am not a complete luddite. Even if you can point me to where I
      can learn more about .xml thats cool, whatever you can tell me, I'll
      leave it at that, take care, Grai
    • karianna03
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 25, 2005
        Hi there,

        Are you aware that an OpenRPG Output sheet exists in PCGEN? I can't
        remember who the original author is, but in theory our output sheet
        monkeys are responsible for updating it. As I'm always trying to
        recruit could I suggest that you volunteer for our Output Sheet team?

        Just send me a note to karianna AT clear.net.nz if you want to
        volunteer :-).

        That way you'll be directly involved with our HTML/XML/PDF gurus.

        Now I've been away for a little while, but PCGEN used to work quite
        closely with the openRPG crowd and I'm sure that we'd be pleased to
        have a strong association once more!

        Karianna

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Latimer" <Graiskye@h...> wrote:
        > Okay Im sure the folks who frequent the many PCGen boards are getting
        > sick of me. I Fear not, I'm not a mad spammer, just on a quest, and
        > trying to cover all the bases. I am interested in finding out
        > anything, and all I can about PCGen, as it relates to OpenRPG. Perhaps
        > someone knows who was responsible for creating the original OpenRPG
        > .xml templates. Im a bit of a newb in the area of .xml coding, my
        > interest lies more in the utilisation of PCGen in conjunction with
        > OpenRPG. It is a huge timesaver, to not have to enter all theat raw
        > data yorself and create the multiple macros that the template creates,
        > it saves so much time. Im not sure why someone would not want to use
        it.
        > But what am I trying to sell you folks on it for? Anyways if anybody
        > has anything to offer in the way of finding out how to create the
        > template sheets I would be grateful. I want to learn how to create my
        > own if I can, Im a bit of newcomer to modern day programming,I used to
        > be a pretty handy with BASIC, way long time ago....I say just so you
        > know I am not a complete luddite. Even if you can point me to where I
        > can learn more about .xml thats cool, whatever you can tell me, I'll
        > leave it at that, take care, Grai
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 25, 2005
          Emily Smirle created and maintained the OpenRPG sheets while she was in
          school. I heard from her recently, but only a 'Hi, Bye' sort of IM.

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp

          > Are you aware that an OpenRPG Output sheet exists in PCGEN? I can't
          > remember who the original author is, but in theory our output sheet
          > monkeys are responsible for updating it. As I'm always trying to
          > recruit could I suggest that you volunteer for our Output Sheet team?
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 25, 2005
            Indeed Emily did take care of that sheet.

            Unfortunately, maintaining those sheets requires knowledge of both
            programs, and I never had the desire to try/use OpenRPG, so I won't be
            of much help as far as that relationship goes.

            That said, after two years+ of running the output sheet team and
            another few months coding up my own recently, I can certainly give you
            a hand figuring out how to do it if you tell me what you want to come
            out of PCGen. :)

            Barak

            > Emily Smirle created and maintained the OpenRPG sheets while she was
            > in school. I heard from her recently, but only a 'Hi, Bye' sort of
            > IM.
          • Chuck Pint
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 28, 2005
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
              > Indeed Emily did take care of that sheet.
              >
              > Unfortunately, maintaining those sheets requires knowledge of both
              > programs, and I never had the desire to try/use OpenRPG, so I won't be
              > of much help as far as that relationship goes.
              >
              > That said, after two years+ of running the output sheet team and
              > another few months coding up my own recently, I can certainly give you
              > a hand figuring out how to do it if you tell me what you want to come
              > out of PCGen. :)
              >
              > Barak
              >

              > > Emily Smirle created and maintained the OpenRPG sheets while she was
              > > in school. I heard from her recently, but only a 'Hi, Bye' sort of
              > > IM.

              I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as Barak, I know the OS quite well,
              but don't know much about OpenRPG. If you have questions about how to
              get the OS to work, feel free to ask me.

              Chuck
              OS Chimp
            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                I have an update here, folks.

                I just caught Emily on IM, just as she was leaving work. (Great luck,
                eh?) She still uses OpenRPG, and will look at updating the OpenRPG
                sheets here in the next week or so.

                Cheerios. :)

                Tir Gwaith
                LST Chimp
              • karianna03
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Nice work!

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                  > I have an update here, folks.
                  >
                  > I just caught Emily on IM, just as she was leaving work. (Great luck,
                  > eh?) She still uses OpenRPG, and will look at updating the OpenRPG
                  > sheets here in the next week or so.
                  >
                  > Cheerios. :)
                  >
                  > Tir Gwaith
                  > LST Chimp
                • Jerril Smirle
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2005
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                    > I have an update here, folks.
                    >
                    > I just caught Emily on IM, just as she was leaving work. (Great luck,
                    > eh?) She still uses OpenRPG, and will look at updating the OpenRPG
                    > sheets here in the next week or so.

                    I'm back from the dead! Bwhahahah!

                    I've posted an updated version of the OpenRPG sheet, can people who
                    actually use OpenRPG use it, pound on it, and tell me what works and
                    what doesn't? Bug reports people, bug reports!

                    I'm a little rusty in the OS code, and I think some of the stuff I
                    added to the OS codebase to support my sheets "back in the day" may
                    have evolved out of use, so I might even have to liase with the OS
                    code group to get replacements back in again... but I can at least
                    actively support this one output sheet. :D

                    I'm not set up to commit to CVS any more, and I'm not sure if I'm even
                    on the authed list these days. We *are* still using CVS, right? *wink*

                    Emily Smirle
                    Gainfully employed for the moment...
                  • karianna03
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Welcome back,

                      It seems a lot of us old timers are flooding back in :-), yes we're
                      still using CVS etc etc, I'm sure hte OS SB will help you out.

                      Karianna

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 2, 2005
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jerril Smirle" <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                        > I'm a little rusty in the OS code, and I think some of the stuff I
                        > added to the OS codebase to support my sheets "back in the day" may
                        > have evolved out of use, so I might even have to liase with the OS
                        > code group to get replacements back in again... but I can at least
                        > actively support this one output sheet. :D

                        Mostly the OS code group is me, with Frank newly added to take care of
                        Modern. Barak still stops by now and again to answer OS questions.

                        > I'm not set up to commit to CVS any more, and I'm not sure if I'm even
                        > on the authed list these days. We *are* still using CVS, right? *wink*

                        Eddy??? Please add her to the list...

                        Chuck
                        OS Chimp
                      • Eddy Anthony
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 2, 2005
                          On 9/2/05 11:24 AM, "Chuck Pint" <pcgen@...> wrote:

                          >> I'm not set up to commit to CVS any more, and I'm not sure if I'm even
                          >> on the authed list these days. We *are* still using CVS, right? *wink*
                          >
                          > Eddy??? Please add her to the list...

                          No problem, Emily it looks like you are still a member in good standing on
                          the docs project (and the other two projects as well). I don't think we
                          restrict commit access via a script on that project (but I could be wrong)
                          so I think you are good to go.

                          I've added you to the new OS trackers on the main project (we are in the
                          process of moving everything back there so new trackers will be created
                          their) and I've opened a tracker for this and assigned it to you:

                          [ 1280765 ] Update OpenRPG sheet to current standards
                          <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1280765&group_id=2
                          5576&atid=748296>

                          Glad to have you back, let me know if I can do anything else for you.
                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 2, 2005
                            > No problem, Emily it looks like you are still a member in good standing on
                            > the docs project (and the other two projects as well). I don't think we
                            > restrict commit access via a script on that project (but I could be wrong)
                            > so I think you are good to go.

                            No 'avail' file in CVSROOT over there. No commit restrict access on that
                            repository.

                            Tir Gwaith
                            LST Chimp