[BUG] Problem with costs and Modern SRD

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2005
      PCGen 5.80
      WinXP with all the latest "the world will end if you don't upgrade" crap on
      it.
      Jave 1.4.2_06
      No, at the moment, I can't upgrade the Java version, not do I have another
      machine available on which I can check it. However, the person who brought
      this problem to my attention *is* using 1.5.

      Select only Modern Basics as source material
      Using 25 point buy, set all stats to 12
      Select Human
      Select Fast Hero (which I have to select *twice*, i.e. click on Fast Hero
      once, then select it again in the chooser)
      Select Wealth roll of 5
      Select Occupation (Dilettante)
      Select Gamble(class skill)
      Select Evasion
      Select Clothing outfit

      For feats, select Acrobatic and Personal Firearms Proficiency

      In Inventory/Gear, click Ignore Cost checkbox and buy the Colt Python(.357
      Revolver), Cost DC 5, and the Pepper Spray (Masterwork), cost DC 8.

      Save character
      Close character

      Open character using File->Open, note cost DCs of items in Inventory tab are
      still the same.

      Close character

      Open character using File->Open Recent. Note Cost DCs of items in Inventory
      tab have increased by 5.

      Note also that if you do the File->Open Recent, close with*out* saving, then
      do the File->Open again, the costs will also be changed.
    • Brass Tilde
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 16, 2005
        > Open character using File->Open Recent. Note Cost DCs of
        > items in Inventory tab have increased by 5.

        This process also increments the Feat total by 1.
      • Brass Tilde
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 18, 2005
          Did anyone see this? Am I mad? Can no one else duplicate it?

          Google mail doesn't show me my own posts to lists, at least not in POP3
          mode, so I don't even know if my post made it to the list.

[...]

          tab have increased by 5, and the feat count is increased by one.

          Note also that if you do the File->Open Recent, close with*out* saving, then
          do the File->Open again, the costs will also be changed.
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 18, 2005
            On 8/18/05 6:03 PM, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@...> wrote:

            > Did anyone see this? Am I mad? Can no one else duplicate it?

            I went through your procedure and I have reproduced it.

            I think it is an issue with the Masterwork EQMOD which both of these items
            use. Not sure yet is this is a code bug or an error in the configuration of
            the EQMOD. Masterwork (actually Mastercraft) is a bit different in Modern,
            there is a range of +1 to +3 and so there is a CHOOSE in the EQMOD.

            Looking at the character file I see it is being reapplied to the item every
            time you save the character.

            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback

            > PCGen 5.80
            > WinXP with all the latest "the world will end if you don't upgrade" crap on
            > it.
            > Jave 1.4.2_06
            > No, at the moment, I can't upgrade the Java version, not do I have another
            > machine available on which I can check it. However, the person who brought
            > this problem to my attention *is* using 1.5.
            >
            > Select only Modern Basics as source material
            > Using 25 point buy, set all stats to 12
            > Select Human
            > Select Fast Hero (which I have to select *twice*, i.e. click on Fast Hero
            > once, then select it again in the chooser)
            > Select Wealth roll of 5
            > Select Occupation (Dilettante)
            > Select Gamble(class skill)
            > Select Evasion
            > Select Clothing outfit
            >
            > For feats, select Acrobatic and Personal Firearms Proficiency
            >
            > In Inventory/Gear, click Ignore Cost checkbox and buy the Colt Python(.357
            > Revolver), Cost DC 5, and the Pepper Spray (Masterwork), cost DC 8.
            >
            > Save character
            > Close character
            >
            > Open character using File->Open, note cost DCs of items in Inventory tab are
            > still the same.
            >
            > Close character
            >
            > Open character using File->Open Recent. Note Cost DCs of items in Inventory
            > tab have increased by 5, and the feat count is increased by one.
            >
            > Note also that if you do the File->Open Recent, close with*out* saving, then
            > do the File->Open again, the costs will also be changed.
          • Frank Kliewe
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 18, 2005
              Since I don't have 5.8.0 running on my box, I tried to recreate this with 5.9.1.

              The outcome is a bit different, but still off. The Colt Python was raised to a wealth DC of 8. The Pepper spray didn't change and nothing happened to the feat count.

              Also this happened already after the regular Open and not the Open recent.

              Cheerio,

              Frank Kliewe
              PCGen Data Tamarin & OS Lemur

              --
              Me transmitte sursum, caledoni (Beam me up, Scotty)
              James Doohan (March 9th, 1920 - July 20th, 2005)
              >> Did anyone see this? Am I mad? Can no one else duplicate it?
              >
              > I went through your procedure and I have reproduced it.
              >
              > I think it is an issue with the Masterwork EQMOD which both of these items
              > use. Not sure yet is this is a code bug or an error in the configuration of
              > the EQMOD. Masterwork (actually Mastercraft) is a bit different in Modern,
              > there is a range of +1 to +3 and so there is a CHOOSE in the EQMOD.
              >
              > Looking at the character file I see it is being reapplied to the item every
              > time you save the character.
              >
              > --
              > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
              >
              >> PCGen 5.80
              >> WinXP with all the latest "the world will end if you don't upgrade" crap on
              >> it.
              >> Jave 1.4.2_06
              >> No, at the moment, I can't upgrade the Java version, not do I have another
              >> machine available on which I can check it. However, the person who brought
              >> this problem to my attention *is* using 1.5.
              >>
              >> Select only Modern Basics as source material
              >> Using 25 point buy, set all stats to 12
              >> Select Human
              >> Select Fast Hero (which I have to select *twice*, i.e. click on Fast Hero
              >> once, then select it again in the chooser)
              >> Select Wealth roll of 5
              >> Select Occupation (Dilettante)
              >> Select Gamble(class skill)
              >> Select Evasion
              >> Select Clothing outfit
              >>
              >> For feats, select Acrobatic and Personal Firearms Proficiency
              >>
              >> In Inventory/Gear, click Ignore Cost checkbox and buy the Colt Python(.357
              >> Revolver), Cost DC 5, and the Pepper Spray (Masterwork), cost DC 8.
              >>
              >> Save character
              >> Close character
              >>
              >> Open character using File->Open, note cost DCs of items in Inventory tab are
              >> still the same.
              >>
              >> Close character
              >>
              >> Open character using File->Open Recent. Note Cost DCs of items in Inventory
              >> tab have increased by 5, and the feat count is increased by one.
              >>
              >> Note also that if you do the File->Open Recent, close with*out* saving, then
              >> do the File->Open again, the costs will also be changed.

              > PCGen's FAQ:
              > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Brass Tilde
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 18, 2005
                > From: Frank Kliewe

                > Since I don't have 5.8.0 running on my box, I tried to
                > recreate this with 5.9.1.
                >
                > The outcome is a bit different, but still off. The Colt
                > Python was raised to a wealth DC of 8. The Pepper spray
                > didn't change and nothing happened to the feat count.
                >
                > Also this happened already after the regular Open and not the
                > Open recent.

                And I distinctly did *not* observe this with the regular Open, using 5.8.0

                > > From: "Eddy Anthony"

                > > I went through your procedure and I have reproduced it.

                At least I'm not mad, at least with regard to this. :-)

                I'll also point out that the MSRD (the document itself, not the LST files),
                is likely wrong with respect to the cost of the Colt Python. In the actual
                D20 Modern book, it has a wealth DC of 15. Not that that can have any
                effect on the LST files, of course, it might be worth it to raise it to the
                folks who are maintaining the MSRD itself.

                > > I think it is an issue with the Masterwork EQMOD which both
                > > of these items use. Not sure yet is this is a code bug or an
                > > error in the configuration of the EQMOD.

                Any way that *I* can test it, bearing in mind that I have no knowledge of
                the EQMOD system in the first place?

                > > Looking at the character file I see it is being reapplied
                > > to the item every time you save the character.

                Is this appropriate for a bug?
              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 18, 2005
                  On 8/18/05 7:21 PM, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@...> wrote:

                  > And I distinctly did *not* observe this with the regular Open, using 5.8.0

                  I did find that it started after at least one save/close/open cycle, but it
                  did happen either way it was opened.

                  >>> From: "Eddy Anthony"
                  >
                  >>> I went through your procedure and I have reproduced it.
                  >
                  > At least I'm not mad, at least with regard to this. :-)

                  Maybe we're all mad ;-)

                  > I'll also point out that the MSRD (the document itself, not the LST files),
                  > is likely wrong with respect to the cost of the Colt Python. In the actual
                  > D20 Modern book, it has a wealth DC of 15. Not that that can have any
                  > effect on the LST files, of course, it might be worth it to raise it to the
                  > folks who are maintaining the MSRD itself.
                  >
                  >>> I think it is an issue with the Masterwork EQMOD which both
                  >>> of these items use. Not sure yet is this is a code bug or an
                  >>> error in the configuration of the EQMOD.
                  >
                  > Any way that *I* can test it, bearing in mind that I have no knowledge of
                  > the EQMOD system in the first place?

                  Well I have found that it only occures with items which have that EQMOD
                  applied to it in the equipment line itself, not when you apply it in the
                  customizer.

                  >>> Looking at the character file I see it is being reapplied
                  >>> to the item every time you save the character.
                  >
                  > Is this appropriate for a bug?

                  Yup, I'll enter it in a bit. I want to see if there is any thing wrong with
                  the LST before bugging the code monkeys.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 18, 2005
                    I've trackered this issue as a code bug:
                    [ 1263626 ] Rampant inflation of Mastercraft equipment
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1263626&group_id=
                    25576&atid=384719>

                    It exists in 5.8 and 5.9.1. I'm glad you ran into this Brass, it directly
                    effects me as I have been working on a problem and had created an EQMOD
                    which works the same way. The bug manifests in my EQMOD as well :(

                    Brass Tilde scribed:

                    > I'll also point out that the MSRD (the document itself, not the LST files),
                    > is likely wrong with respect to the cost of the Colt Python. In the actual
                    > D20 Modern book, it has a wealth DC of 15. Not that that can have any
                    > effect on the LST files, of course, it might be worth it to raise it to the
                    > folks who are maintaining the MSRD itself.

                    I suspect you are right and it is a typo. Normally I'd say there's not much
                    to be done but since a number of us monkeys will be at Gencon we might be
                    able to bring it up to someone.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 19, 2005
                      > It exists in 5.8 and 5.9.1. I'm glad you ran into this Brass, it directly
                      > effects me as I have been working on a problem and had created an EQMOD
                      > which works the same way. The bug manifests in my EQMOD as well :(

                      Thanks. Any chance it will be fixed on the 5.8 tree as well as the 5.9 one when it is found? I don't have the D20 Modern sets from
                      CMP, so I don't know if they exhibit this problem, but I do have several others data sets from them, and I'd rather not have to use
                      different versions of PCGen for my different campaign settings.

                      > I suspect you are right and it is a typo. Normally I'd say there's not much
                      > to be done but since a number of us monkeys will be at Gencon we might be
                      > able to bring it up to someone.

                      I guess the intern (Adam?) who was dealing with the m/[rm]?SRD/i isn't working on it anymore?
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 19, 2005
                        On 8/19/05 3:06 PM, "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks. Any chance it will be fixed on the 5.8 tree as well as the 5.9 one
                        > when it is found? I don't have the D20 Modern sets from
                        > CMP, so I don't know if they exhibit this problem, but I do have several
                        > others data sets from them, and I'd rather not have to use
                        > different versions of PCGen for my different campaign settings.

                        So far no 5.8.1 release has been considered because no show stopping bugs
                        had been discovered.

                        If CMP has followed the same pattern they used for the 5.8 fantasy sets they
                        have likely split it into 3 separate EQMODs and this bug won't manifest.

                        It was just pointed out to me that this problem may be popping up elsewhere,
                        there is another bug exhibiting very similar problems:

                          > If CMP has followed the same pattern they used for the 5.8 fantasy sets
                          they
                          > have likely split it into 3 separate EQMODs and this bug won't manifest.

                          Why are we using a combined eqmod, anyway? Equipmod was designed for 1 KEY,
                          one type. CHOOSE stuff was to be left for the larger arrays. REPLACE tag
                          allows switching between easily on the Chooser window.

                          Tir Gwaith
                          LST Chimp
                        • Eddy Anthony
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 19, 2005
                            On 8/19/05 4:33 PM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

                            >> If CMP has followed the same pattern they used for the 5.8 fantasy sets
                            >> they have likely split it into 3 separate EQMODs and this bug won't manifest.

                            > Why are we using a combined eqmod, anyway?

                            Cause it was like that when I got here :p

                            But I agree, it's due for an overhaul. While we are at it we can change the
                            name, in modern it should be known as Mastercraft not Masterwork.

                            > Equipmod was designed for 1 KEY, one type.

                            One shot, one kill ;-)

                            > CHOOSE stuff was to be left for the larger arrays.
                            > REPLACE tag allows switching between easily on the Chooser window.

                            And this would be perfect for it. This is on my short list of To Do's,
                            hadn't begun because there was not enough time before the release and I'll
                            need to look at all the Modern sets for dependencies.

                            Anyhoo, I'm signing off now, I'll be hitting the road for Indy shortly, I'll
                            report back on Monday, You guys play nice :-D
                            --
                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            ~ PCGen Content Silverback