[pcgen] Temporary bonuses in preview GUI

  • Kenneth Skaar
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hi all,

      After having used the preview GUI during play, and
      also discovered the wonders of the temporary bonuses,
      I got a bit sick and tired of switching back and forth
      between the 2 tabs. Wouldn't it be great to just
      select those temporary bonuses in the preview GUI?

      Well, I have made an attempt at implementing this
      functionality. I have a picture of pcgen with my
      character and some temporary bonuses here:

      http://regina.uio.no/~kenneths/preview.png

      Now, as you can see under the bio pane, there are 2
      new panes, one for selecting the equipment set in use,
      and one for selecting which of the temporary bonuses
      to use. Those are simply on/off switches. You still
      have to define the bonuses to use for your character
      in the Equipping tab(to select such things as levels,
      what they apply to etc). This has proved quite usefull
      allready during a few game-sessions, and I havent
      found any serious bugs with it yet.

      There are some minor issues though. The GUI sometimes
      seems to move the pane separators and it can be a bit
      tricky to move them back. Typically this happens if I
      have a temporary bonus with a really long name.
      Someone with more java GUI experience than me can
      hopefully help me track that down.

      Another issue is bonuses to items. It seems like pcgen
      internally creates a new item when a temporary bonus
      is applied to it, and the preview will display the
      items both with and without the bonus. Things like AC
      is still correctly calculated, its just that it
      clutters up the display a bit.

      Anyway, I have kept the code up to date with the
      public cvs, but I guess I should send it to someone so
      it can included in the cvs. To who and how can I send
      it? A tar of my entire source tree? The output of cvs
      diff?

      Regards,

      Kenneth Skaar

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
        Kenneth Skaar wrote:

        > http://regina.uio.no/~kenneths/preview.png

        Nice idea with the sidebar :-) I've flagged this for Devon, the code
        silverback.

        Regards,
        Stefan.
        PCGen Code Tamarin
      • Devon Jones
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
          Kenneth Skaar wrote:

          >Hi all,
          >
          >After having used the preview GUI during play, and
          >also discovered the wonders of the temporary bonuses,
          >I got a bit sick and tired of switching back and forth
          >between the 2 tabs. Wouldn't it be great to just
          >select those temporary bonuses in the preview GUI?
          >
          >Well, I have made an attempt at implementing this
          >functionality. I have a picture of pcgen with my
          >character and some temporary bonuses here:
          >
          >http://regina.uio.no/~kenneths/preview.png

          *FANTASTIC* I always knew we needed some way to do this, but it's never
          gotten to the point I could start looking at it.

          >Now, as you can see under the bio pane, there are 2
          >new panes, one for selecting the equipment set in use,
          >and one for selecting which of the temporary bonuses
          >to use. Those are simply on/off switches. You still
          >have to define the bonuses to use for your character
          >in the Equipping tab(to select such things as levels,
          >what they apply to etc). This has proved quite usefull
          >allready during a few game-sessions, and I havent
          >found any serious bugs with it yet.

          This is perfect - I always figured we couldn't store *all* temp bonuses
          on the left side - but I never had a good idea for how to add limited
          sets like this. This in every way meets what I had wanted for the last
          step of the preview pane. fantastic job.

          >There are some minor issues though. The GUI sometimes
          >seems to move the pane separators and it can be a bit
          >tricky to move them back. Typically this happens if I
          >have a temporary bonus with a really long name.
          >Someone with more java GUI experience than me can
          >hopefully help me track that down.

          As soon as it's in, we'll create a bug for it and look for a way to
          solve it.

          >Another issue is bonuses to items. It seems like pcgen
          >internally creates a new item when a temporary bonus
          >is applied to it, and the preview will display the
          >items both with and without the bonus. Things like AC
          >is still correctly calculated, its just that it
          >clutters up the display a bit.

          Yeah, it's on purpose - a number of people requested that we see all
          purmutations of temp bonuses on items. I know it can get really
          cluttered. with this, we can consider making it optional.

          >Anyway, I have kept the code up to date with the
          >public cvs, but I guess I should send it to someone so
          >it can included in the cvs. To who and how can I send
          >it? A tar of my entire source tree? The output of cvs
          >diff?

          how about I add you to the project and then you can check it in, we can
          always use people willing to identify needed features and implement
          them What is your sourceforge id?
          Send it to me and I'll get you added asap.

          >Regards,
          >
          >Kenneth Skaar

          Fantastic job,
          Devon
        • david allan finch
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2005
            Stefan Radermacher wrote:
            > Kenneth Skaar wrote:
            >>http://regina.uio.no/~kenneths/preview.png
            > Nice idea with the sidebar :-) I've flagged this for Devon, the code
            > silverback.

            I agree.

            Thinking about it, if you have a nice tablet (like I know some of my
            friends will soon) it would be cool if PCGen could become 'full screen'
            like Apps so on a PDA, and the Menu and Tool Bar could be 'reduced' as
            you would not need them much in play.

            Only a thought
            Dave

          • Kenneth Skaar
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
              Hi Devon,

              I'm happy you liked my improvements, and I'd love to
              continue contributing to PCGEN. Just a warning though,
              I have a 3 month old son, so RL have a tendency to
              creep up on me:-) I expect I'll still be able to
              dedicate a few hours each week on PCGEN though.

              Anyway, my sourceforge ID is skaark. Just add me, and
              I'll commit my updates...

              Regards,

              Kenneth

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
                > Anyway, my sourceforge ID is skaark. Just add me, and I'll commit
                > my updates...

                Consider yourself added.

                Paul W. King
                TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
              • Devon Jones
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Kenneth Skaar wrote:

                  >Hi Devon,
                  >
                  >I'm happy you liked my improvements, and I'd love to
                  >continue contributing to PCGEN. Just a warning though,
                  >I have a 3 month old son, so RL have a tendency to
                  >creep up on me:-) I expect I'll still be able to
                  >dedicate a few hours each week on PCGEN though.
                  >
                  >Anyway, my sourceforge ID is skaark. Just add me, and
                  >I'll commit my updates...
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >
                  >Kenneth

                  Done

                  and we all have real life issues, so anything you can do is appreciated
                  - no pressure :)

                  Devon