daunting search for support (from 86562 entries)

  • tahl_liadon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2005
      i apologize if this subject was discussed, but:

      has anyone had success in (ppc/debian-ubuntu) linux with pcgen5.8
      using the lastest j2re (1.4 by ibm)? java 1.5 isn't yet available for
      this platform/flavor.

      i believe i have all the parts in place but alas it doens't work.
      pcgen5.6 works fine though.

      i'm making a wild stab in the dark here, but i imagine there is a
      smaller percentage of ppc/debian-ubuntu linux users out there, and a
      handful using pcgen. there isn't too much support so far due to this.

      ...or is it a matter of it not being there yet?

      any help/feedback appreciated. thnx!
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 28, 2005
        On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:14:03PM -0000, tahl_liadon wrote:
        > i apologize if this subject was discussed, but:
        >
        > has anyone had success in (ppc/debian-ubuntu) linux with pcgen5.8
        > using the lastest j2re (1.4 by ibm)? java 1.5 isn't yet available for
        > this platform/flavor.
        >
        > i believe i have all the parts in place but alas it doens't work.
        > pcgen5.6 works fine though.
        >
        > i'm making a wild stab in the dark here, but i imagine there is a
        > smaller percentage of ppc/debian-ubuntu linux users out there, and a
        > handful using pcgen. there isn't too much support so far due to this.
        >
        > ...or is it a matter of it not being there yet?
        >
        > any help/feedback appreciated. thnx!

        Sorry i can't help with the specifics, but if it needs version 1.5 of
        Java then that's a bug. We're supposed to still be using 1.4, mostly
        because 1.5 isn't officially available on the Mac I believe.

        andrew
        --
        Leo: (July 23 - Aug. 22)
        You are possessed with abilities far beyond those of mortal man,
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2005
          thnx for the reply...

          java 1.5 is actually available for the mac, but only te latest "tiger"
          version under java 5.2 (or something like that).

          but that aside, i was more interested in linux on ppc (i.e. an apple
          machine but not a mac os).

          also in my research, certain flavors of linux do have java 1.5
          available. it's just debian-ubuntu is at 1.4.

          any other comments?

          @

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Wilson <andrew@r...> wrote:
          > On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:14:03PM -0000, tahl_liadon wrote:
          > > i apologize if this subject was discussed, but:
          > >
          > > has anyone had success in (ppc/debian-ubuntu) linux with pcgen5.8
          > > using the lastest j2re (1.4 by ibm)? java 1.5 isn't yet available for
          > > this platform/flavor.
          > >
          > > i believe i have all the parts in place but alas it doens't work.
          > > pcgen5.6 works fine though.
          > >
          > > i'm making a wild stab in the dark here, but i imagine there is a
          > > smaller percentage of ppc/debian-ubuntu linux users out there, and a
          > > handful using pcgen. there isn't too much support so far due to this.
          > >
          > > ...or is it a matter of it not being there yet?
          > >
          > > any help/feedback appreciated. thnx!
          >
          > Sorry i can't help with the specifics, but if it needs version 1.5 of
          > Java then that's a bug. We're supposed to still be using 1.4, mostly
          > because 1.5 isn't officially available on the Mac I believe.
          >
          > andrew
          > --
          > Leo: (July 23 - Aug. 22)
          > You are possessed with abilities far beyond those of mortal man,
          > but if your super-heroic origin story ever got out, no one would
          > take you seriously.
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2005
            > > Sorry i can't help with the specifics, but if it needs version 1.5 of
            > > Java then that's a bug. We're supposed to still be using 1.4, mostly
            > > because 1.5 isn't officially available on the Mac I believe.

            Depends on the version of pcgen you're using. 5.8 and above are vetted
            for 1.5. The only real change was to the pdf outputsheets so 5.6 may
            work with 1.5 if you use the html or text OS's.
          • thpr
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2005
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tahl_liadon" <tahl@p...> wrote:
              > but that aside, i was more interested in linux on ppc (i.e. an apple
              > machine but not a mac os).
              > any other comments?

              Can you define "doesn't work"? Does it not launch, or is there some
              specific action that causes problems?

              If there is a specific error message, then we can probably work from
              there to try to see what is going on... just copy it here. If not,
              then it's probably being eaten by one of the error suppression systems
              in PCGen (it eats some types of errors to avoid them being presented
              to the user).

              What you are specifically doing at the time could help in generating
              either some versions of PCGen that are verbose (or some tiny unit
              tests) that you could run to help determine what the problem is.

              As a aside note, where do you get the VM from IBM, and is an x86
              version available? I could run 5.8.0 under x86/Ubuntu/IBM 1.4 to see
              if I can reproduce the problem there... if I knew where to find IBM's
              JVM...
            • tahl_liadon
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2005
                here is a start on the ibm stuff:

                http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/aix/service.html

                you need to register to download.

                well, when i click on the pcgen.sh file, it would just open a text
                file to show me the contents.

                to be honest, my kung foo isn't great in programming and such, so i'm
                not sure where to begin to help you troubleshoot. maybe you can ask
                more specific questions...that may help me to narrow down the search.

                thnx

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@y...> wrote:
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tahl_liadon" <tahl@p...> wrote:
                > > but that aside, i was more interested in linux on ppc (i.e. an apple
                > > machine but not a mac os).
                > > any other comments?
                >
                > Can you define "doesn't work"? Does it not launch, or is there some
                > specific action that causes problems?
                >
                > If there is a specific error message, then we can probably work from
                > there to try to see what is going on... just copy it here. If not,
                > then it's probably being eaten by one of the error suppression systems
                > in PCGen (it eats some types of errors to avoid them being presented
                > to the user).
                >
                > What you are specifically doing at the time could help in generating
                > either some versions of PCGen that are verbose (or some tiny unit
                > tests) that you could run to help determine what the problem is.
                >
                > As a aside note, where do you get the VM from IBM, and is an x86
                > version available? I could run 5.8.0 under x86/Ubuntu/IBM 1.4 to see
                > if I can reproduce the problem there... if I knew where to find IBM's
                > JVM...
              • thpr
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 30, 2005
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tahl_liadon" <tahl@p...> wrote:
                  > well, when i click on the pcgen.sh file, it would just open a text
                  > file to show me the contents.

                  Aha! That appears to be how a Mac works... (based on some searching I
                  did)

                  Try opening a terminal window and cd to PCGen's home directory, then
                  run "pcgen.sh" from there.

                  If you wish to make it double-clickable to execute from the finder,
                  apparently, you can rename it to "pcgen.command"... at least that's
                  what a Google search for "double click shell script macos" seems to
                  have told me (I don't own a Mac)

                  Note, the above assumes pcgen.sh is executable (in theory, when "ls -l
                  pcgen.sh" is performed in the PCGen directory, the line showing
                  pcgen.sh should start with -r-x or -rwx since the Mac is running BSD)

                  If it reads -rw- (or you aren't the userid that installed it, and it's
                  -rwxr--r--), you will need to make it executable. Assuming you own
                  the files (haven't used a Mac since MacOS 7.5.1), "chmod u+x pcgen.sh"
                  should work. (Or if it's not you, you'll need to do "chmod ugo+x
                  pcgen.sh" as a superuser).

                  > to be honest, my kung foo isn't great in programming and such

                  Shouldn't need to be. I spent four years working at a help desk where
                  much of the help was remote. While this is a challenge (since I
                  can't reproduce the problem due to lack of hardware), it's not a new
                  challenge.

                  > so i'm
                  > not sure where to begin to help you troubleshoot. maybe you can ask
                  > more specific questions...that may help me to narrow down the search.

                  I already did ;) ... I just needed more information on where to ask.
                • tahl_liadon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
                    thpr,

                    thnx for all the leg work and trying to help, but my problem isn't
                    with pcgen on mac os perse, it's pcgen on linux on a ppc system.
                    here's a clip of my original post:

                    "has anyone had success in (ppc/debian-ubuntu) linux with pcgen5.8
                    using the lastest j2re (1.4 by ibm)? java 1.5 isn't yet available for
                    this platform/flavor."

                    i actually have the mac version working a while ago. i even talked to
                    one of the guys over at code monkey publishing who is working on
                    improving how pcgen runs on the mac. he let me used a beta version of
                    pcgen580 that he hacked, and reported to run faster. even that did not
                    increase the speed too significanty.

                    that's why i wanted to explore how pcgen runs on linux as i read a
                    report that it was *fast*. that's when i ran into different challenges.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tahl_liadon" <tahl@p...> wrote:

                      > thpr,
                      >
                      > thnx for all the leg work and trying to help, but my problem isn't
                      > with pcgen on mac os perse, it's pcgen on linux on a ppc system.
                      > here's a clip of my original post:

                      [laughing at myself] I'll spare you the story on why my brain can't
                      separate PowerPC and Mac...

                      Anyway, is the file on Ubuntu chmod'd correctly? Right click on it,
                      select the "Permissions" tab, and ensure "executable" is checked...
                      that will ensure it doesn't come up the text editor, but rather
                      prompts whether you want to run it.

                      Sorry again about answering for the Mac... stupid on my part.
                    • tahl_liadon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
                        yeah, it works well.

                        yours as well as the guys over at codemonkeypublishing's suggestions
                        helped a lot.