Re: [BUG] Ability enhancement not stacking

  • Darkon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric Jarman <ehj38230@c...> wrote:
      > taluroniscandar wrote:
      >
      > >I don't know about the Maul but in 3.5 (and it is in the RSRD if we
      > >ever code up the artifacts) the Hammer of Thunderbolts does this.
      > >

      > I must have been thinking of the wrong item then. It wouldn't be
      > the first time.

      The Gauntlets / Girdle / Hammer combination was originally set up in
      AD&D 1st edition to emulate the three magic items of Thor, the Norse
      God of Thunder. My group referred to it as the Baby-Thor Combo.
    • Allen Shull
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
        As far as I can tell the only statement in D&D 3.0 was that if you wore both
        the Gauntlets and the Girdle at the same time you would instantly know what
        the Maul was if you randomly came upon it; it seemed like an obvious
        holdover that hadn't been completely converted to 3rd edition. Since in D&D
        3 the bonuses stack in any situation other than when with the Maul, I
        figured that in 3rd edition the gods simply decided that the Maul of the
        Titans should go to whoever was stupid enough to wear both items at the same
        time.

        For the record, the 3.0 SRD includes this paragraph under the OGL Maul, the
        Hammer of Thunderbolts:
        If the wielder (of any size) wears a belt of giant strength and gauntlets of
        ogre power and he or she knows that the hammer is a hammer of thunderbolts
        (not just a +3 warhammer), the weapon can be used to full effect: When swung
        or hurled, it gains a total +5 enhancement bonus, deals double damage,
        allows all girdle and gauntlet bonuses to stack (only when using this
        weapon), and strikes dead any giant upon whom it scores a hit (Fortitude
        save DC 16 to survive).
        But the 3.5 SRD completely omits it.

        In other "they made things dumb" news, why even have Gauntlets that only go
        up to +2 and a girdle that starts at +4? I'm all for flavor, but times like
        this show us where flavor gets in the game of Things Making Sense.

        Allen Shull