Re: [pcgen] Re: Downloading question....

  • Adam S. Talkington
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
      After the quick Popup of DOS, you have another POPUP that WinXP will block if you are not looking for it. You need to answer that Popup (where your files will be kept) and then it works great. Try that, then let us know.

      Adam.
      Lurker and sometime contributor... always a user, and LOVE IT!

      Raymond Moore <rmbuster@...> wrote:
      I've tried each of those suggestions.....(I have Java, and WinXP).
      Either way what get is a quick pop-up of DOS, and nothing else. I
      did download both of the newest versions of Java, in hopes of
      getting this to work, but no dice from what i can tell.

      Any other suggestions?

      Thanks ahead of time.

      > That depends.
      >
      > If you don't have the latest java *and* you have either a Mac or
      > Windows machine, you can d/l the operating specific installer and
      let
      > it install.
      >
      > If you have at least java 1.4.2 already on your machine, then you
      can
      > download the pcgen580_full.zip and unzip the file.
      >
      > If you don't have java and don't have Mac/Windows (or don't want
      > deal with the installers), you'll need to go to java.sun.com and
      d/l,
      > minimum, java 1.4.x (although PCGen will now work with the 1.5.x
      > series). Then go back and d/l pcgen580_full.zip as noted above.
      >
      > To execute PCGen, once both java is installed and PCGen is
      unzipped,
      > you run pcgen.jar. If you're on a Windows based machine, you can
      use
      > one of the *.bat files as well.
      >
      > If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
      >
      > Paul W. King
      > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

      PCGen's FAQ:
      http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

    • Sean
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
        *Both* newest Java versions?
        And nothing past the initial command prompt box...

        If I were to put my old computer tech hat on again,
        I'd probably direct suspicions to the java install
        first, just to be sure things installed and/or
        uninstalled neatly. I know there wes a small demo
        application included with java 1.4. Look under your
        Start menu - see if there is something from java or
        sun (Java Web Start for java 1.4) that starts up some
        kind of minor java app. Open, close, watch the pretty
        colors - just confirm your java install is capable of
        running *something* without an error.

        Assuming you downloaded the pcgen580_full.zip file,
        that should have been unzipped into a new, clean
        directory. If you tried multiple PCGen installs in
        the same place, that could cause errors (though I
        haven't heard of the ones you describe). If you have
        at least 256MB of memory, I highly recommend running
        PCGen by clicking on the pcgen_high_mem.bat file in
        the pcgen580 folder. Java is a bit of a memory hog,
        and I've found that the default settings cause memory
        errors on my own XP machine. Allocating more memory
        by using the startup variables in the
        pcgen_high_mem.bat file rather than the pcgen.bat file
        solved this.

        After running the .bat file, the command prompt (DOS)
        window should appear. A few seconds after that, a
        popup from pcgen appears asking about the file paths
        pcgen should use. This only appears the first time
        you run pcgen, and the defaults should be fine. Then
        a window with the pcgen logo appears, followed by the
        application window itself, and you're good to go.

        Something should appear in the command window - a few
        lines from the .bat file, then possibly an error
        message if things fail to start. Double check that
        and include any suspicious output should you have more
        questions.

        http://mail.yahoo.com