Re: Downloading question....

  • Raymond Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
      I've tried each of those suggestions.....(I have Java, and WinXP).
      Either way what get is a quick pop-up of DOS, and nothing else. I
      did download both of the newest versions of Java, in hopes of
      getting this to work, but no dice from what i can tell.

      Any other suggestions?

      Thanks ahead of time.

      > That depends.
      >
      > If you don't have the latest java *and* you have either a Mac or
      > Windows machine, you can d/l the operating specific installer and
      let
      > it install.
      >
      > If you have at least java 1.4.2 already on your machine, then you
      can
      > download the pcgen580_full.zip and unzip the file.
      >
      > If you don't have java and don't have Mac/Windows (or don't want
      > deal with the installers), you'll need to go to java.sun.com and
      d/l,
      > minimum, java 1.4.x (although PCGen will now work with the 1.5.x
      > series). Then go back and d/l pcgen580_full.zip as noted above.
      >
      > To execute PCGen, once both java is installed and PCGen is
      unzipped,
      > you run pcgen.jar. If you're on a Windows based machine, you can
      use
      > one of the *.bat files as well.
      >
      > If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
      >
      > Paul W. King
      > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
    • Adam S. Talkington
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
        After the quick Popup of DOS, you have another POPUP that WinXP will block if you are not looking for it. You need to answer that Popup (where your files will be kept) and then it works great. Try that, then let us know.

        Adam.
        Lurker and sometime contributor... always a user, and LOVE IT!

        Raymond Moore <rmbuster@...> wrote:
        I've tried each of those suggestions.....(I have Java, and WinXP).
        Either way what get is a quick pop-up of DOS, and nothing else. I
        did download both of the newest versions of Java, in hopes of
        getting this to work, but no dice from what i can tell.

        Any other suggestions?

        Thanks ahead of time.

        > That depends.
        >
        > If you don't have the latest java *and* you have either a Mac or
        > Windows machine, you can d/l the operating specific installer and
        let
        > it install.
        >
        > If you have at least java 1.4.2 already on your machine, then you
        can
        > download the pcgen580_full.zip and unzip the file.
        >
        > If you don't have java and don't have Mac/Windows (or don't want
        > deal with the installers), you'll need to go to java.sun.com and
        d/l,
        > minimum, java 1.4.x (although PCGen will now work with the 1.5.x
        > series). Then go back and d/l pcgen580_full.zip as noted above.
        >
        > To execute PCGen, once both java is installed and PCGen is
        unzipped,
        > you run pcgen.jar. If you're on a Windows based machine, you can
        use
        > one of the *.bat files as well.
        >
        > If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
        >
        > Paul W. King
        > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

        PCGen's FAQ:
        http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

      • Sean
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
          *Both* newest Java versions?
          And nothing past the initial command prompt box...

          If I were to put my old computer tech hat on again,
          I'd probably direct suspicions to the java install
          first, just to be sure things installed and/or
          uninstalled neatly. I know there wes a small demo
          application included with java 1.4. Look under your
          Start menu - see if there is something from java or
          sun (Java Web Start for java 1.4) that starts up some
          kind of minor java app. Open, close, watch the pretty
          colors - just confirm your java install is capable of
          running *something* without an error.

          Assuming you downloaded the pcgen580_full.zip file,
          that should have been unzipped into a new, clean
          directory. If you tried multiple PCGen installs in
          the same place, that could cause errors (though I
          haven't heard of the ones you describe). If you have
          at least 256MB of memory, I highly recommend running
          PCGen by clicking on the pcgen_high_mem.bat file in
          the pcgen580 folder. Java is a bit of a memory hog,
          and I've found that the default settings cause memory
          errors on my own XP machine. Allocating more memory
          by using the startup variables in the
          pcgen_high_mem.bat file rather than the pcgen.bat file
          solved this.

          After running the .bat file, the command prompt (DOS)
          window should appear. A few seconds after that, a
          popup from pcgen appears asking about the file paths
          pcgen should use. This only appears the first time
          you run pcgen, and the defaults should be fine. Then
          a window with the pcgen logo appears, followed by the
          application window itself, and you're good to go.

          Something should appear in the command window - a few
          lines from the .bat file, then possibly an error
          message if things fail to start. Double check that
          and include any suspicious output should you have more
          questions.

          http://mail.yahoo.com