Downloading question....

  • Raymond Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26 4:48 PM
      I(n order for us to get all the necesarry stuff so PC Gen will work,
      what all do we need to download from sourceforge?
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27 6:05 AM
        > I(n order for us to get all the necesarry stuff so PC Gen will
        work,
        > what all do we need to download from sourceforge?

        That depends.

        If you don't have the latest java *and* you have either a Mac or
        Windows machine, you can d/l the operating specific installer and let
        it install.

        If you have at least java 1.4.2 already on your machine, then you can
        download the pcgen580_full.zip and unzip the file.

        If you don't have java and don't have Mac/Windows (or don't want to
        deal with the installers), you'll need to go to java.sun.com and d/l,
        minimum, java 1.4.x (although PCGen will now work with the 1.5.x
        series). Then go back and d/l pcgen580_full.zip as noted above.

        To execute PCGen, once both java is installed and PCGen is unzipped,
        you run pcgen.jar. If you're on a Windows based machine, you can use
        one of the *.bat files as well.

        If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
      • Raymond Moore
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27 10:08 AM
          I've tried each of those suggestions.....(I have Java, and WinXP).
          Either way what get is a quick pop-up of DOS, and nothing else. I
          did download both of the newest versions of Java, in hopes of
          getting this to work, but no dice from what i can tell.

          Any other suggestions?

          Thanks ahead of time.

          > That depends.
          >
          > If you don't have the latest java *and* you have either a Mac or
          > Windows machine, you can d/l the operating specific installer and
          let
          > it install.
          >
          > If you have at least java 1.4.2 already on your machine, then you
          can
          > download the pcgen580_full.zip and unzip the file.
          >
          > If you don't have java and don't have Mac/Windows (or don't want
          > deal with the installers), you'll need to go to java.sun.com and
          d/l,
          > minimum, java 1.4.x (although PCGen will now work with the 1.5.x
          > series). Then go back and d/l pcgen580_full.zip as noted above.
          >
          > To execute PCGen, once both java is installed and PCGen is
          unzipped,
          > you run pcgen.jar. If you're on a Windows based machine, you can
          use
          > one of the *.bat files as well.
          >
          > If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
          >
          > Paul W. King
          > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
        • Adam S. Talkington
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27 10:49 AM
            After the quick Popup of DOS, you have another POPUP that WinXP will block if you are not looking for it. You need to answer that Popup (where your files will be kept) and then it works great. Try that, then let us know.

            Adam.
            Lurker and sometime contributor... always a user, and LOVE IT!

            Raymond Moore <rmbuster@...> wrote:
            I've tried each of those suggestions.....(I have Java, and WinXP).
            Either way what get is a quick pop-up of DOS, and nothing else. I
            did download both of the newest versions of Java, in hopes of
            getting this to work, but no dice from what i can tell.

            Any other suggestions?

            Thanks ahead of time.

            > That depends.
            >
            > If you don't have the latest java *and* you have either a Mac or
            > Windows machine, you can d/l the operating specific installer and
            let
            > it install.
            >
            > If you have at least java 1.4.2 already on your machine, then you
            can
            > download the pcgen580_full.zip and unzip the file.
            >
            > If you don't have java and don't have Mac/Windows (or don't want
            > deal with the installers), you'll need to go to java.sun.com and
            d/l,
            > minimum, java 1.4.x (although PCGen will now work with the 1.5.x
            > series). Then go back and d/l pcgen580_full.zip as noted above.
            >
            > To execute PCGen, once both java is installed and PCGen is
            unzipped,
            > you run pcgen.jar. If you're on a Windows based machine, you can
            use
            > one of the *.bat files as well.
            >
            > If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
            >
            > Paul W. King
            > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

            PCGen's FAQ:
            http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

          • Sean
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 27 4:13 PM
              *Both* newest Java versions?
              And nothing past the initial command prompt box...

              If I were to put my old computer tech hat on again,
              I'd probably direct suspicions to the java install
              first, just to be sure things installed and/or
              uninstalled neatly. I know there wes a small demo
              application included with java 1.4. Look under your
              Start menu - see if there is something from java or
              sun (Java Web Start for java 1.4) that starts up some
              kind of minor java app. Open, close, watch the pretty
              colors - just confirm your java install is capable of
              running *something* without an error.

              Assuming you downloaded the pcgen580_full.zip file,
              that should have been unzipped into a new, clean
              directory. If you tried multiple PCGen installs in
              the same place, that could cause errors (though I
              haven't heard of the ones you describe). If you have
              at least 256MB of memory, I highly recommend running
              PCGen by clicking on the pcgen_high_mem.bat file in
              the pcgen580 folder. Java is a bit of a memory hog,
              and I've found that the default settings cause memory
              errors on my own XP machine. Allocating more memory
              by using the startup variables in the
              pcgen_high_mem.bat file rather than the pcgen.bat file
              solved this.

              After running the .bat file, the command prompt (DOS)
              window should appear. A few seconds after that, a
              popup from pcgen appears asking about the file paths
              pcgen should use. This only appears the first time
              you run pcgen, and the defaults should be fine. Then
              a window with the pcgen logo appears, followed by the
              application window itself, and you're good to go.

              Something should appear in the command window - a few
              lines from the .bat file, then possibly an error
              message if things fail to start. Double check that
              and include any suspicious output should you have more
              questions.

              http://mail.yahoo.com