Re: Tiger Installation how-to

  • Conor
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21 11:53 AM
      See my comments inline below...

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Boy in Oxford <guy_in_oxford@y...> wrote:
      > You can use the Mac installer for PCGen with Tiger if
      > you do one thing after the installation: delete the
      > application after dragging the pcgen.jar Java file out
      > of it and into the main PCGen directory. This takes
      > little time. The steps are outlined in detail below.

      Part of the OS X build porcess for PCGen encapsulates the jar file
      into an Application Package. Among other things (not the least of
      which is a pretty icon in the dock), this makes OS X think the java
      file is an application, leading to better graphics acceleration and
      memory management. The native .jar file is totally functionable
      within OS X, and can be launched by simply double clicking it (you can
      extract it from the application package following the O.P.s
      instructions below).

      > It may be a small point, but I suggest changing the
      > default skin to Java in the preferences once you get
      > PCGen running. Even though it's uglier, I've had some
      > UI issues with the OS X look. Things work, but the
      > layout is a bit more cryptic than usual in spots, such
      > as the "load source" areas.

      In actuality, this is more then just a small point. When you are
      using one of the other skins (including the aqua one), the OS is using
      resources to redraw every screen of the UI with the skin. Now, when
      you are using PCGen as an application (see comment above), the
      improved graphics acceleration and memory management means that the
      overall impact of having a skin on PCGen is relatively small.
      However, when you are using the raw JAR file, this is a HUGE resource
      gobbler. I consistantly suggest that OS X users (especially when
      launching the .jar fil directly) turn off the OS X look revert to the
      Java look. Trust me, you will notice the difference.

      > Here are the steps to make the OS X 10.4.x
      > installation work (I tried to make this newbie
      > friendly, so it looks like it's more complicated than
      > it really is. It's a very fast procedure, actually):

      For the sake of post length, let me sum-up how to get the .jar file
      out of the application package.

      1) Download and install PCGen for OS X

      2) Open the folder where you installed PCGen, right click (or control
      click) on the PCGen icon, select "Show Package Contents"

      3) A new window will open, doule click on the "Contents" folder in
      this window.

      4) Continue to navigate down through the "Resources" folder, and then
      the "Java" folder.

      5) Drag the pcgen.jar file from this window back into the window of
      your PCGen installation (you may need to move windows around to be
      able to drag from one to the other).

      6) You can no trash the PCGen application icon (as you have everything
      you need out of it)

      > I also strongly recommend downloading and installing
      > the Java 1.5 preview release from Apple:

      While I agree, that Java 1.5 release is pretty stable, and has some
      snazzy new features, unless you are somewhat tech-savvy, I would never
      suggest installing pre-release versions of system components.
      Pre-release versions like this are not supported by Apple telephone
      support, so getting help to remove it (if you have to) might be a bit
      more complicated.

      Anyway, I hope this info helps everyone. Also know that I am still
      working on the whole Tiger incompatibility issue, and hopefully will
      be able to work something out.

      Thanks,
      Conor