GMGen: using feats in combat

  • Michele
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2005
      I created a Barbarian character of 8th level I defined an encounter
      against a Devil(barbazu) and I tried to use the initiative roll to
      simulate such ecounter. As far as I can see the Barbarian cannot use
      feats he has (power attack, cleave, rage).... Why?
    • Devon Jones
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2005
        Michele wrote:

        >I created a Barbarian character of 8th level I defined an encounter
        >against a Devil(barbazu) and I tried to use the initiative roll to
        >simulate such ecounter. As far as I can see the Barbarian cannot use
        >feats he has (power attack, cleave, rage).... Why?

        you need to apply those in the equipment panel, under Temporary Bonuses

        you can apply the effects of many spells, as well as rage and most other
        feats.

        Devon
      • Jon Fetting
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2005
          For people who care I have created Power Attack as a Preapply. If anyone
          can see any improvements please tell me.
          Power Attack.MOD
          ADD:VFEAT(Power Attacking)

          Power Attacking
          TYPE:Special
          VISIBLE:NO
          BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT.MELEE|(-1)*%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
          BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGE.Melee|%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
          CHOOSE:NUMBER|MIN=1|MAX=BAB|TITLE=Choose The bonus.
          Devon Jones wrote:

          >Michele wrote:
          >

          >>I created a Barbarian character of 8th level I defined an encounter
          >>against a Devil(barbazu) and I tried to use the initiative roll to
          >>simulate such ecounter. As far as I can see the Barbarian cannot use
          >>feats he has (power attack, cleave, rage).... Why?
          >>

          >you need to apply those in the equipment panel, under Temporary Bonuses
          >
          >you can apply the effects of many spells, as well as rage and most other
          >feats.
          >
          >Devon

          >PCGen's alpha build: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/autobuilds
          >PCGen's FAQ:
          >http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michele
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Devon Jones <soulcatcher@e...> wrote:

            > you need to apply those in the equipment panel, under
            > Temporary Bonuses
            >
            > you can apply the effects of many spells, as well as
            > rage and most other
            > feats.
            >
            > Devon

            Agh ... during a single combat session barbarians/fighters
            can choose to enable & disable multiple feats such as power
            attack, cleave etc. and switching all the times from a window
            to the other can be confusing.
            IMHO the best compromise should be to add the feats list in the
            character stat page and to manage the feat selection there in
            the same way as for the attack roll or the abilities check.
          • Michele
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jon Fetting <idiosync@n...> wrote:
              > For people who care I have created Power Attack as a Preapply. If
              anyone
              > can see any improvements please tell me.
              > Power Attack.MOD
              > ADD:VFEAT(Power Attacking)
              >
              > Power Attacking
              > TYPE:Special
              > VISIBLE:NO
              > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT.MELEE|(-1)*%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
              > BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGE.Melee|%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
              > CHOOSE:NUMBER|MIN=1|MAX=BAB|TITLE=Choose The bonus.

              When it's applied?
            • Devon Jones
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2005
                Michele wrote:

                >Agh ... during a single combat session barbarians/fighters
                >can choose to enable & disable multiple feats such as power
                >attack, cleave etc. and switching all the times from a window
                >to the other can be confusing.
                >IMHO the best compromise should be to add the feats list in the
                >character stat page and to manage the feat selection there in
                >the same way as for the attack roll or the abilities check.

                Yeah, and I would like to get us to the point you can apply them from
                the stat window, as well as from the preview pane.

                Long term that's the plan, just a lot to do, and only so many developers.

                Devon
              • discnerd
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Michele" <tux.72@...> wrote:

                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jon Fetting <idiosync@n...> wrote:
                  > > For people who care I have created Power Attack as a Preapply. If
                  > anyone
                  > > can see any improvements please tell me.
                  > > Power Attack.MOD
                  > > ADD:VFEAT(Power Attacking)
                  > >
                  > > Power Attacking
                  > > TYPE:Special
                  > > VISIBLE:NO
                  > > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT.MELEE|(-1)*%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
                  > > BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGE.Melee|%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
                  > > CHOOSE:NUMBER|MIN=1|MAX=BAB|TITLE=Choose The bonus.
                  >
                  > When it's applied?

                  I did something similar. You forgot to double power attack damage for
                  two handed attacks. The fix I figured out was (or close, it's on the
                  other partition):

                  BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGEMULT:2|(1/STR)*%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
                • Dennis Perry
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 23, 2007
                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "discnerd" <discnerd@...> wrote:

                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Michele" <tux.72@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Jon Fetting <idiosync@n...> wrote:
                    > > > For people who care I have created Power Attack as a Preapply.
                    If
                    > > anyone
                    > > > can see any improvements please tell me.
                    > > > Power Attack.MOD
                    > > > ADD:VFEAT(Power Attacking)
                    > > >
                    > > > Power Attacking
                    > > > TYPE:Special
                    > > > VISIBLE:NO
                    > > > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT.MELEE|(-1)*%
                    CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
                    > > > BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGE.Melee|%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
                    > > > CHOOSE:NUMBER|MIN=1|MAX=BAB|TITLE=Choose The bonus.
                    > >
                    > > When it's applied?
                    > >

                    > I did something similar. You forgot to double power attack damage
                    for
                    > two handed attacks. The fix I figured out was (or close, it's on
                    the
                    > other partition):
                    >
                    > BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGEMULT:2|(1/STR)*%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC

                    I tried your fix for doubling the damage for two-handed attacks, but
                    it didn't work for me. I'm currently using v.5.10.1. The strength
                    mod for my character is +11, and his BAB is +7. The temporary
                    bonuses tab correctly says the bonus to DAMAGEMULT:2 is 0.636...
                    which would add 0.636*11=7 to damage, but doesn't add any more
                    damage on the preview. Perhaps the 0.636 is being rounded down to 0?
                  • Martijn Verburg
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 24, 2007
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Perry" <albart@...> wrote:

                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "discnerd" <discnerd@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Michele" <tux.72@> wrote:

                      > If
                      > > > anyone

                      > CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
                      > > >
                      > > > When it's applied?
                      > > >

                      > > I did something similar. You forgot to double power attack damage
                      > for
                      > > two handed attacks. The fix I figured out was (or close, it's on
                      > the
                      > > other partition):
                      > >
                      > > BONUS:COMBAT|DAMAGEMULT:2|(1/STR)*%CHOICE|PREAPPLY:PC
                      > >
                      > I tried your fix for doubling the damage for two-handed attacks, but
                      > it didn't work for me. I'm currently using v.5.10.1. The strength
                      > mod for my character is +11, and his BAB is +7. The temporary
                      > bonuses tab correctly says the bonus to DAMAGEMULT:2 is 0.636...
                      > which would add 0.636*11=7 to damage, but doesn't add any more
                      > damage on the preview. Perhaps the 0.636 is being rounded down to
                      > 0?

                      It's possible, have you tried this on the latest version? (5.12.0),
                      also does the calculation come out correctly on an exported character
                      sheet?