[EDDY][ERIC] Re: I want to help

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
      > "I WANT TO HELP", I think
      > From: "Theodore Roosevelt" <sukael@g...>
      > Subject:
      >
      > Judging by the PCGen help files, this is the place to put this.
      > (Or would pcgen_experimental be better?) Potential data monkey
      > here--my username on Sourceforge.net is 'sukael'. (Minus the
      > apostrophes, of course.)

      Thank you for the offer of help! I've flagged Eddy and Eric, two of
      the senior data monkeys.

      Paul W. King
      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
        >> "I WANT TO HELP", I think

        > Judging by the PCGen help files, this is the place to put this. (Or
        > would pcgen_experimental be better?)

        Yup this is the place to start :-)

        > Potential data monkey here--my
        > username on Sourceforge.net is 'sukael'. (Minus the apostrophes, of
        > course.)

        So sukael, what do you want to work on? We do mainly OGL (Open Game License)
        sources for PCGen, if the source is closed content we can't distribute it.

        I would recommend picking a source to do, posting here to see if we can
        include it and to see if anyone else may have done work on it already, then
        dive into it.

        For learning aids the best place is to look at the datasets which come with
        PCGen. The Docs also have a good if incomplete index of the tags used in the
        data and the outputsheets.

        Once you start encountering specific problems you need help with we have a
        yahoo group devoted to that:

        Pcgen_experimantal is a group set up to coordinate data development, once
        you have your set at the point where it's close to usable you'll want to
        post it there.

        Welcome aboard and good luck!
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
          At 17:22 2005.06.02, Eddy Anthony wrote:

          >>> "I WANT TO HELP", I think
          >
          >> Judging by the PCGen help files, this is the place to put this. (Or
          >> would pcgen_experimental be better?)
          >
          >Yup this is the place to start :-)
          >
          >> Potential data monkey here--my
          >> username on Sourceforge.net is 'sukael'. (Minus the apostrophes, of
          >> course.)
          >
          >So sukael, what do you want to work on? We do mainly OGL (Open Game License)
          >sources for PCGen, if the source is closed content we can't distribute it.
          >
          >I would recommend picking a source to do, posting here to see if we can
          >include it and to see if anyone else may have done work on it already, then
          >dive into it.
          >
          >For learning aids the best place is to look at the datasets which come with
          >PCGen. The Docs also have a good if incomplete index of the tags used in the
          >data and the outputsheets.
          >
          >Once you start encountering specific problems you need help with we have a
          >yahoo group devoted to that:

          >Pcgen_experimantal is a group set up to coordinate data development, once
          >you have your set at the point where it's close to usable you'll want to
          >post it there.
          >
          >Welcome aboard and good luck!
          >--
          >~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          >~ PCGen Content Silverback

          There is a project starting to do the KITs required to implement the standard monsters. Tir has provided an example and a few ppl have already pledge time. Maybe that would be a good place to get your feet wet with the .lst language and the way everything works around here. The KIT project will require a lot of work so the more, the merrier :-).

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
            Eric,

            When did you make me a miracle worker????

            I don't have an example out, yet. That's my PCGen Priority for this
            weekend. I'm planning on having it out late tomorrow.

            I'll post when it is out. And yeah, it is going to be a BIG project.

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp

            > There is a project starting to do the KITs required to implement the
            standard monsters. Tir has provided an example and a few ppl have already
            pledge time. Maybe that would be a good place to get your feet wet with the
            .lst language and the way everything works around here. The KIT project will
            require a lot of work so the more, the merrier :-).
          • Ian Copp
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
              Now that I'm back to my normal email, rather than my super-rarely-used
              Yahoo account...

              Sounds interesting. I've done some fiddling with kits before, and it
              doesn't look like they've changed from 5.7.x, so I shouldn't be too
              lost.

              I've done some work with LSTs, generally for non-OGL sources (the
              tactical and divine feats from Complete Warrior, metamagics from
              Complete Arcane, a few classes and prestige classes, etc.).

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
              > Eric,
              >
              > When did you make me a miracle worker????
              >
              > I don't have an example out, yet. That's my PCGen Priority for this
              > weekend. I'm planning on having it out late tomorrow.
              >
              > I'll post when it is out. And yeah, it is going to be a BIG project.
              >
              > Tir Gwaith
              > LST Chimp
              >
              > > There is a project starting to do the KITs required to implement the
              > standard monsters. Tir has provided an example and a few ppl have already
              > pledge time. Maybe that would be a good place to get your feet wet with the
              > .lst language and the way everything works around here. The KIT project will
              > require a lot of work so the more, the merrier :-).

              --
              "In Soviet Russia, dice roll you!"
            • Éric Beaudoin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
                At 17:47 2005.06.02, Tir Gwaith wrote:
                >Eric,
                >
                >When did you make me a miracle worker????
                >
                >I don't have an example out, yet. That's my PCGen Priority for this
                >weekend. I'm planning on having it out late tomorrow.
                >
                >I'll post when it is out. And yeah, it is going to be a BIG project.
                >
                >Tir Gwaith
                >LST Chimp

                Sorry Tir, I read your previous message to fast. I thought the example was already done.

                As for your question, you have been a miracle worker for quite a while now :-).

                Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
                >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                <mailto:beaudoer@...>
              • theryonstormrune
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                  I'd like to help as well with the KITs project. I've been getting my
                  feet wet with various things in the .lst files including implementing
                  some of the Dragon (magazine) feats, classes, etc. for my groups'
                  personal usage.

                  Theryon

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Tir Gwaith scribed:

                    > When did you make me a miracle worker????
                    >
                    > I don't have an example out, yet. That's my PCGen Priority for this
                    > weekend. I'm planning on having it out late tomorrow.
                    >
                    > I'll post when it is out. And yeah, it is going to be a BIG project.

                    You seem to have generated a good deal of interest in this,
                    way to rally the troops :-)

                    We have some new KIT tags which may be useful in this endeavor that I've not
                    got into the docs yet, let me mention them briefly and post links to the doc
                    trackers for them. It would also be good to start identifying the code work
                    needed for this. I don't think there is now a KIT tag to grant levels of a
                    class which is needed for less than 1 HD warriors. Another thing to think
                    about is that some monster entries specify magic weapons or other equipment
                    we normally create with the customizer, so to do this we either need to have
                    a file of the specific equipment or create a way to have the kit create it
                    on the fly. In other words you could specify an item and any EQMODs applied
                    to it in the kit and when the kit is applied the item is created.

                    [ 1123671 ] Document FREE tag in KIT skill line
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1123671&group_id=
                    66204&atid=513778>
                    FREE is usable on the KIT skill line and I believe it means that
                    the skill is free i.e. doesn't not could against the number of
                    skill points for the PC.

                    [ 1107587 ] funds in KIT file
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1107587&group_id=
                    66204&atid=513778>

                    FUNDS:x >tab< QTY:y >tab< PRExxx

                    X = Currency Abbreviation found in miscinfo file (i.e. gp,
                    euro, dollars, etc)
                    Y = # or Formula

                    FUNDS:gp QTY:10+1d10 PRECLASS:1,Fighter

                    [ 1214429 ] Document EQUIPBUY tag in KIT file
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1214429&group_id=
                    66204&atid=513778>
                    STARTPACK:<name><tab>EQUIPBUY:0
                    Should make the cost of every item in the KIT 0.

                    [ 1214433 ] VISIBLE:x tag implemented in KITs
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1214433&group_id=
                    66204&atid=513778>
                    VISIBLE:YES always displays the KIT
                    VISIBLE:NO never displays

                    There may be others I'm not aware of, please post if more are found. Also,
                    please comment in the trackers if these tags are found not to be working as
                    specified here, what you see is about what I've got to go on to get them
                    documented.

                    Additionally I had entered a couple of code FREQ a little while back when I
                    had been thinking about this idea, might be a good idea to review them and
                    see if they would be useful for this project.

                    [ 1077909 ] AUTO:KIT Global tag
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1077909&group_id=25576&ati
                    d=384722>

                    [ 1077923 ] COSTMULT:x tag implemented in KITs
                    <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1077923&group_id=25576&ati
                    d=384722>

                    I had also suggested a VISIBLE:QUALIFY for kits so the GUI would work much
                    like the equipment customizer in that you would only see the kits you
                    qualified for but that was not implemented at the time VISIBLE went in.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3, 2005