Re: Movement rates

  • Michele
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2005
      > 1) PCGen version?

      5.8.0 RC 5

      > 2) Java version?

      1.5.0_03

      > 3) Sources loaded?

      RSRD 3.5 & Masters of the Wild (the problems keeps going even
      without the last one).

      > 4) Strength of the character?

      24

      > 5) Encumbrance of the character? or How much is he carrying?

      42 lbs.

      >High encumberance would both slow the character down as well as
      >remove the +10 feet movement bonus from barbarian. He's going to
      >be slowed due to his Chainmail for sure, but that should be from
      >the 40' (don't remember exactly how much).
      > 10' does sound really odd. Any boots on that might do movement
      >changes? Can you upload your PCG to the group?
    • theryonstormrune
      Message 2 of 10 , May 31, 2005
        I understand your concern and your players. For countless years, I've
        maintained my characters by PnP methodology as well as my comrades. In
        fact, I turned my fellow players/DMs onto Ema's character sheets since
        he's done such a great job of providing top-notch character sheets that
        include the various sourcebooks that WotC (and others) have published.

        Both DMs in the group have been using electronic means to track NPCs
        and other information. One uses eTools and the other uses some Java-
        based app (but not PCGen). I am currently the only one that uses PCGen
        from that group. The other group that I game with were hard-core PCGen
        users (with purchased CMP datasets). The problem with them was that
        they were on 3.0 and I didn't want to start buying 3.0 datasets that
        eventually I'd throw away as we moved to 3.5e. I took the plunge and
        started getting the 3.5e datasets and haven't looked back. I still
        love PnP character sheets but I've found that I do make math errors and
        miscalculations with skill synergies and attack bonuses that PCGen
        catches and (usually) ends up benefitting me. It takes time.

        Theryon

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Sherman <ajs@a...> wrote:
        > On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 07:41, James Dempsey wrote:
        >
        > The real problem here is that my players tend to dislike my use of
        PCGen
        > to maintain their characters because they don't trust its math. If I
        > could show them every component of the math, then we could look up the
        > rules in question and double-check everything, but when I just
        say "your
        > character sheet says X and PCGen says Y," they come back with, "why
        > should I change my character sheet if you're not sure why?"
        >
        > ... but PCGen still lacks that sense of authority
        > in my game....
        >
        > --
        > Aaron Sherman <ajs@a...>
        > Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
        > "It's the sound of a satellite saying, 'get me down!'" -Shriekback
      • theryonstormrune
        Message 3 of 10 , May 31, 2005
          Hi there.

          First, grab a copy of the stable 5.8.0. Changes have been made
          throughout the "release candidate" phase to create a stable copy of
          PCGen so there might be things that have changed.

          Second, you can't use any of CMP's datasets (i.e. "Masters of the
          Wild") with version 5.8.0 PCGen. You can only use 5.6.1. Also, not
          sure if you are using the "converted Masters of the Wild" which would
          be 3.5e compliant or the original which is 3.0 only. The RSRD refers
          to 3.5e. So there might be a big mismatch with the sources.

          So, if you're going to test this out, you should d/l 5.8.0. Load the
          complete RSRD. And create your character from fresh that way. Add
          your equipement, etc. and see if the problem still exists.

          If you're needing the "Masters of the Wild" dataset, then you'll need
          to step back to 5.6.1 PCGen along with any pertinent datasets.
          [Meaning that if you're using the converted MotW, then you need to
          use the PHB 3.5 and DMG 3.5 under a 3.5e campaign. If you don't have
          the converted MotW then you'll have to use the 3.0 PHB and DMG under
          a 3.0 campaign.]

          Hope this helps.

          Theryon

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1 12:48 AM
            > Hi there.

            Hi & thanx.

            > First, grab a copy of the stable 5.8.0. Changes have been made
            > throughout the "release candidate" phase to create a stable copy
            of
            > PCGen so there might be things that have changed.

            Uh ok...

            > Second, you can't use any of CMP's datasets (i.e. "Masters of the
            > Wild") with version 5.8.0 PCGen. You can only use 5.6.1. Also,
            not
            > sure if you are using the "converted Masters of the Wild" which
            would
            > be 3.5e compliant or the original which is 3.0 only. The RSRD
            refers
            > to 3.5e. So there might be a big mismatch with the sources.

            As I stated in the first reply the problems comes even without that
            CPM sourcebook.

            Anyway I'm going to try it with the latest RC.
          • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1 1:08 AM
              > As I stated in the first reply the problems comes even without that
              > CPM sourcebook.
              >
              > Anyway I'm going to try it with the latest RC.

              If you still get this with the Stable 5.8.0 and just the RSRD loaded, would you post your PCG here to the Y! group? That will allow us to look at the character and test.

              Thanks,

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp