Re: [pcgen] Movement rates

  • Aaron Sherman
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2005
      On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 07:41, James Dempsey wrote:

      > >What's up indeed. In fact, I find myself asking that question all the
      > >time. How hard would it be (I'd consider writing it, though I'm more of
      > >a C and Perl guy than Java, but I could probably do it) to add a UI
      > >element that allowed you to backtrack any statistic to determine what
      > >math went into it? I often find myself struggling to come up with that
      > >last +1 that snuck into some stat somewhere.

      > You can do that with skills already - when the option is set it will
      > display what goes into the skill total in the bottom left pane.
      >
      > I'm thinking of adding in a character checker function. You could invoke
      > it and it would tell you that your medium encumbrance is slowing you
      > down and affecting your skills, plus you still have a feat and 3 skill
      > points left to spend.

      For skills, it's a nice thing (and thanks for pointing out the option),
      but the two places I've MOST wanted it are weapon stats (especially
      attack bonus, but also damage) and AC. Those are the two places that I'm
      most often confused by the effect of some feat or other rule that I
      haven't taken into account.

      The real problem here is that my players tend to dislike my use of PCGen
      to maintain their characters because they don't trust its math. If I
      could show them every component of the math, then we could look up the
      rules in question and double-check everything, but when I just say "your
      character sheet says X and PCGen says Y," they come back with, "why
      should I change my character sheet if you're not sure why?"

      In the end, we've always discovered that either they did the math wrong
      (or didn't factor in something by default that PCGen did, e.g. size
      modifier) or that I've done the data-entry wrong (e.g. the mace problem
      from my previous message), but PCGen still lacks that sense of authority
      in my game....

      --
      Aaron Sherman <ajs@...>
      Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
      Message 2 of 10 , May 31, 2005
        > 1) PCGen version?

        5.8.0 RC 5

        > 2) Java version?

        1.5.0_03

        > 3) Sources loaded?

        RSRD 3.5 & Masters of the Wild (the problems keeps going even
        without the last one).

        > 4) Strength of the character?

        24

        > 5) Encumbrance of the character? or How much is he carrying?

        42 lbs.

        >High encumberance would both slow the character down as well as
        >remove the +10 feet movement bonus from barbarian. He's going to
        >be slowed due to his Chainmail for sure, but that should be from
        >the 40' (don't remember exactly how much).
        > 10' does sound really odd. Any boots on that might do movement
        >changes? Can you upload your PCG to the group?
      • theryonstormrune
        Message 3 of 10 , May 31, 2005
          I understand your concern and your players. For countless years, I've
          maintained my characters by PnP methodology as well as my comrades. In
          fact, I turned my fellow players/DMs onto Ema's character sheets since
          he's done such a great job of providing top-notch character sheets that
          include the various sourcebooks that WotC (and others) have published.

          Both DMs in the group have been using electronic means to track NPCs
          and other information. One uses eTools and the other uses some Java-
          based app (but not PCGen). I am currently the only one that uses PCGen
          from that group. The other group that I game with were hard-core PCGen
          users (with purchased CMP datasets). The problem with them was that
          they were on 3.0 and I didn't want to start buying 3.0 datasets that
          eventually I'd throw away as we moved to 3.5e. I took the plunge and
          started getting the 3.5e datasets and haven't looked back. I still
          love PnP character sheets but I've found that I do make math errors and
          miscalculations with skill synergies and attack bonuses that PCGen
          catches and (usually) ends up benefitting me. It takes time.

          Theryon

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Sherman <ajs@a...> wrote:
          > On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 07:41, James Dempsey wrote:
          >
          > The real problem here is that my players tend to dislike my use of
          PCGen
          > to maintain their characters because they don't trust its math. If I
          > could show them every component of the math, then we could look up the
          > rules in question and double-check everything, but when I just
          say "your
          > character sheet says X and PCGen says Y," they come back with, "why
          > should I change my character sheet if you're not sure why?"
          >
          > ... but PCGen still lacks that sense of authority
          > in my game....
          >
          > --
          > Aaron Sherman <ajs@a...>
          > Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
          > "It's the sound of a satellite saying, 'get me down!'" -Shriekback
        • theryonstormrune
          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2005
            Hi there.

            First, grab a copy of the stable 5.8.0. Changes have been made
            throughout the "release candidate" phase to create a stable copy of
            PCGen so there might be things that have changed.

            Second, you can't use any of CMP's datasets (i.e. "Masters of the
            Wild") with version 5.8.0 PCGen. You can only use 5.6.1. Also, not
            sure if you are using the "converted Masters of the Wild" which would
            be 3.5e compliant or the original which is 3.0 only. The RSRD refers
            to 3.5e. So there might be a big mismatch with the sources.

            So, if you're going to test this out, you should d/l 5.8.0. Load the
            complete RSRD. And create your character from fresh that way. Add
            your equipement, etc. and see if the problem still exists.

            If you're needing the "Masters of the Wild" dataset, then you'll need
            to step back to 5.6.1 PCGen along with any pertinent datasets.
            [Meaning that if you're using the converted MotW, then you need to
            use the PHB 3.5 and DMG 3.5 under a 3.5e campaign. If you don't have
            the converted MotW then you'll have to use the 3.0 PHB and DMG under
            a 3.0 campaign.]

            Hope this helps.

            Theryon

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
              > Hi there.

              Hi & thanx.

              > First, grab a copy of the stable 5.8.0. Changes have been made
              > throughout the "release candidate" phase to create a stable copy
              of
              > PCGen so there might be things that have changed.

              Uh ok...

              > Second, you can't use any of CMP's datasets (i.e. "Masters of the
              > Wild") with version 5.8.0 PCGen. You can only use 5.6.1. Also,
              not
              > sure if you are using the "converted Masters of the Wild" which
              would
              > be 3.5e compliant or the original which is 3.0 only. The RSRD
              refers
              > to 3.5e. So there might be a big mismatch with the sources.

              As I stated in the first reply the problems comes even without that
              CPM sourcebook.

              Anyway I'm going to try it with the latest RC.
            • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                > As I stated in the first reply the problems comes even without that
                > CPM sourcebook.
                >
                > Anyway I'm going to try it with the latest RC.

                If you still get this with the Stable 5.8.0 and just the RSRD loaded, would you post your PCG here to the Y! group? That will allow us to look at the character and test.

                Thanks,

                Tir Gwaith
                LST Chimp