Re: [pcgen] Movement rates

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2005
      Hi Aaron,

      On 31/05/2005 9:30 PM Aaron Sherman wrote

      >On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 09:10 +0000, Michele wrote:
      >

      >>I defined an Barbarian Half-orc of 8th level equipped with greatsword,
      >>chainmail, longbow and few other things I noticed a movement rate of
      >>10' feet x round!
      >>What's up?
      >>

      >What's up indeed. In fact, I find myself asking that question all the
      >time. How hard would it be (I'd consider writing it, though I'm more of
      >a C and Perl guy than Java, but I could probably do it) to add a UI
      >element that allowed you to backtrack any statistic to determine what
      >math went into it? I often find myself struggling to come up with that
      >last +1 that snuck into some stat somewhere.
      >
      >Michele, check your weight limits and see if you're over-weight. That's
      >the only thing I can think of....

      You can do that with skills already - when the option is set it will
      display what goes into the skill total in the bottom left pane.

      I'm thinking of adding in a character checker function. You could invoke
      it and it would tell you that your medium encumbrance is slowing you
      down and affecting your skills, plus you still have a feat and 3 skill
      points left to spend.

      Cheers,
      James Dempsey
      PCGen Code Gibbon
    • Aaron Sherman
      Message 2 of 10 , May 31, 2005
        On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 07:41, James Dempsey wrote:

        > >What's up indeed. In fact, I find myself asking that question all the
        > >time. How hard would it be (I'd consider writing it, though I'm more of
        > >a C and Perl guy than Java, but I could probably do it) to add a UI
        > >element that allowed you to backtrack any statistic to determine what
        > >math went into it? I often find myself struggling to come up with that
        > >last +1 that snuck into some stat somewhere.

        > You can do that with skills already - when the option is set it will
        > display what goes into the skill total in the bottom left pane.
        >
        > I'm thinking of adding in a character checker function. You could invoke
        > it and it would tell you that your medium encumbrance is slowing you
        > down and affecting your skills, plus you still have a feat and 3 skill
        > points left to spend.

        For skills, it's a nice thing (and thanks for pointing out the option),
        but the two places I've MOST wanted it are weapon stats (especially
        attack bonus, but also damage) and AC. Those are the two places that I'm
        most often confused by the effect of some feat or other rule that I
        haven't taken into account.

        The real problem here is that my players tend to dislike my use of PCGen
        to maintain their characters because they don't trust its math. If I
        could show them every component of the math, then we could look up the
        rules in question and double-check everything, but when I just say "your
        character sheet says X and PCGen says Y," they come back with, "why
        should I change my character sheet if you're not sure why?"

        In the end, we've always discovered that either they did the math wrong
        (or didn't factor in something by default that PCGen did, e.g. size
        modifier) or that I've done the data-entry wrong (e.g. the mace problem
        from my previous message), but PCGen still lacks that sense of authority
        in my game....

        --
        Aaron Sherman <ajs@...>
        Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
        Message 3 of 10 , May 31, 2005
          > 1) PCGen version?

          5.8.0 RC 5

          > 2) Java version?

          1.5.0_03

          > 3) Sources loaded?

          RSRD 3.5 & Masters of the Wild (the problems keeps going even
          without the last one).

          > 4) Strength of the character?

          24

          > 5) Encumbrance of the character? or How much is he carrying?

          42 lbs.

          >High encumberance would both slow the character down as well as
          >remove the +10 feet movement bonus from barbarian. He's going to
          >be slowed due to his Chainmail for sure, but that should be from
          >the 40' (don't remember exactly how much).
          > 10' does sound really odd. Any boots on that might do movement
          >changes? Can you upload your PCG to the group?
        • theryonstormrune
          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2005
            I understand your concern and your players. For countless years, I've
            maintained my characters by PnP methodology as well as my comrades. In
            fact, I turned my fellow players/DMs onto Ema's character sheets since
            he's done such a great job of providing top-notch character sheets that
            include the various sourcebooks that WotC (and others) have published.

            Both DMs in the group have been using electronic means to track NPCs
            and other information. One uses eTools and the other uses some Java-
            based app (but not PCGen). I am currently the only one that uses PCGen
            from that group. The other group that I game with were hard-core PCGen
            users (with purchased CMP datasets). The problem with them was that
            they were on 3.0 and I didn't want to start buying 3.0 datasets that
            eventually I'd throw away as we moved to 3.5e. I took the plunge and
            started getting the 3.5e datasets and haven't looked back. I still
            love PnP character sheets but I've found that I do make math errors and
            miscalculations with skill synergies and attack bonuses that PCGen
            catches and (usually) ends up benefitting me. It takes time.

            Theryon

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Sherman <ajs@a...> wrote:
            > On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 07:41, James Dempsey wrote:
            >
            > The real problem here is that my players tend to dislike my use of
            PCGen
            > to maintain their characters because they don't trust its math. If I
            > could show them every component of the math, then we could look up the
            > rules in question and double-check everything, but when I just
            say "your
            > character sheet says X and PCGen says Y," they come back with, "why
            > should I change my character sheet if you're not sure why?"
            >
            > ... but PCGen still lacks that sense of authority
            > in my game....
            >
            > --
            > Aaron Sherman <ajs@a...>
            > Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
            > "It's the sound of a satellite saying, 'get me down!'" -Shriekback
          • theryonstormrune
            Message 5 of 10 , May 31, 2005
              Hi there.

              First, grab a copy of the stable 5.8.0. Changes have been made
              throughout the "release candidate" phase to create a stable copy of
              PCGen so there might be things that have changed.

              Second, you can't use any of CMP's datasets (i.e. "Masters of the
              Wild") with version 5.8.0 PCGen. You can only use 5.6.1. Also, not
              sure if you are using the "converted Masters of the Wild" which would
              be 3.5e compliant or the original which is 3.0 only. The RSRD refers
              to 3.5e. So there might be a big mismatch with the sources.

              So, if you're going to test this out, you should d/l 5.8.0. Load the
              complete RSRD. And create your character from fresh that way. Add
              your equipement, etc. and see if the problem still exists.

              If you're needing the "Masters of the Wild" dataset, then you'll need
              to step back to 5.6.1 PCGen along with any pertinent datasets.
              [Meaning that if you're using the converted MotW, then you need to
              use the PHB 3.5 and DMG 3.5 under a 3.5e campaign. If you don't have
              the converted MotW then you'll have to use the 3.0 PHB and DMG under
              a 3.0 campaign.]

              Hope this helps.

              Theryon

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                > Hi there.

                Hi & thanx.

                > First, grab a copy of the stable 5.8.0. Changes have been made
                > throughout the "release candidate" phase to create a stable copy
                of
                > PCGen so there might be things that have changed.

                Uh ok...

                > Second, you can't use any of CMP's datasets (i.e. "Masters of the
                > Wild") with version 5.8.0 PCGen. You can only use 5.6.1. Also,
                not
                > sure if you are using the "converted Masters of the Wild" which
                would
                > be 3.5e compliant or the original which is 3.0 only. The RSRD
                refers
                > to 3.5e. So there might be a big mismatch with the sources.

                As I stated in the first reply the problems comes even without that
                CPM sourcebook.

                Anyway I'm going to try it with the latest RC.
              • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                  > As I stated in the first reply the problems comes even without that
                  > CPM sourcebook.
                  >
                  > Anyway I'm going to try it with the latest RC.

                  If you still get this with the Stable 5.8.0 and just the RSRD loaded, would you post your PCG here to the Y! group? That will allow us to look at the character and test.

                  Thanks,

                  Tir Gwaith
                  LST Chimp