Re: [BUG] Greater Strength spawns

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2005
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Foster <hugh@a...> wrote:
      > I've mentioned this before but it's a real pain!
      >
      > A character has taken the feat Greater Strength twice. When I save,
      > and then reload on another day, I find about 16 occurrences have added
      > to the feat, resulting in a strength of about 40!
      >
      > In desperation, I have taken the feat off altogether, adding the
      > points manually in Abilites. It keeps coming back, and spawning as
      > described!
      >
      > This is 5.8.0-RC3, under 3e.

      What source is Greater Strength from? I don't recognize it.
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2005
        > I've mentioned this before but it's a real pain!

        My apologies. I don't recall seeing this issue before, and I can't seem
        to find it in the archives either.

        > A character has taken the feat Greater Strength twice. When I save,
        > and then reload on another day, I find about 16 occurrences have
        > added to the feat, resulting in a strength of about 40!
        >
        > In desperation, I have taken the feat off altogether, adding the
        > points manually in Abilites. It keeps coming back, and spawning as
        > described!
        >
        > This is 5.8.0-RC3, under 3e.

        What datasets do you have loaded? I did RC7 with the complete RSRD
        loaded, but could not find this feat.

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
      • Hugh Foster
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2005
          > What datasets do you have loaded? I did RC7 with the complete RSRD
          > loaded, but could not find this feat.

          Sorry, sorry. Don't flame me. You're quite right. It's an epic Feat

          --

          Hugh Foster
          hugh@...

          02/05/2005 3:46:33 PM
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2005
            > > A character has taken the feat Greater Strength twice.
            >
            > What datasets do you have loaded? I did RC7 with the complete RSRD
            > loaded, but could not find this feat.

            Ya' know Great Strength is the epic feat that adds +1 to strength.
            That's likely what he's refering to.

            If the feat is from the CMP Epic Handbook selection you need to post
            this on CMP's website. Also, just FYI, their stuff won't be be 5.8
            compliant until after the final 5.8 release so that could be the issue.

            If it's with the test epic rsrd lst set from experimental, could you
            post this message there so that Andargor will know to look at it.
          • Paul W. King
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2005
              > Sorry, sorry. Don't flame me. You're quite right. It's an epic Feat

              Try it under PCGen 5.6.1 and only the CMP datasets loaded. If it
              doesn't work there, then you'll need to tell CMP that it doesn't work.
              The datasets distributed with PCGen are not compatible with the CMP
              datasets.

              Paul W. King
              TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2005
                Hi Hugh,

                Quoting Hugh Foster <hugh@...>:

                > A character has taken the feat Greater Strength twice. When I save,
                > and then reload on another day, I find about 16 occurrences have added
                > to the feat, resulting in a strength of about 40!
                >
                > This is 5.8.0-RC3, under 3e.

                I fixed a bug that was very similar to this a few versions ago (probably after
                RC3). It affected bonus feats that had a choice of some form. Could you try this
                out with 5.8.0 RC7 please?

                Cheers,
                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code Gibbon
              • andargor
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@e...> wrote:
                  > > > A character has taken the feat Greater Strength twice.
                  > >
                  > > What datasets do you have loaded? I did RC7 with the complete RSRD
                  > > loaded, but could not find this feat.
                  >
                  > Ya' know Great Strength is the epic feat that adds +1 to strength.
                  > That's likely what he's refering to.
                  >
                  > If the feat is from the CMP Epic Handbook selection you need to post
                  > this on CMP's website. Also, just FYI, their stuff won't be be 5.8
                  > compliant until after the final 5.8 release so that could be the issue.
                  >
                  > If it's with the test epic rsrd lst set from experimental, could you
                  > post this message there so that Andargor will know to look at it.

                  I just spotted this. Is there a problem?

                  Myself and hopefully taluroniscandar will restart epic dataset
                  development after 5.8.0 (probably after RC15 :D ), implementing any
                  LST changes.

                  Andargor
                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                    On 5/10/05 10:22 AM, "andargor" <andargor@...> wrote:

                    >> If it's with the test epic rsrd lst set from experimental, could you
                    >> post this message there so that Andargor will know to look at it.
                    >
                    > I just spotted this. Is there a problem?
                    >
                    > Myself and hopefully taluroniscandar will restart epic dataset
                    > development after 5.8.0 (probably after RC15 :D ), implementing any
                    > LST changes.
                    >
                    > Andargor

                    I just tested this with the Epic set from experimental using RC8 and could
                    not reproduce the issue, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                      > >> If it's with the test epic rsrd lst set from experimental, could you
                      > >> post this message there so that Andargor will know to look at it.
                      > >
                      > > I just spotted this. Is there a problem?
                      > >
                      > > Myself and hopefully taluroniscandar will restart epic dataset
                      > > development after 5.8.0 (probably after RC15 :D ), implementing any
                      > > LST changes.
                      > >
                      > > Andargor
                      >
                      > I just tested this with the Epic set from experimental using RC8 and
                      could
                      > not reproduce the issue, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

                      I think (but am not sure) he was using the CMP EpicLH files with 58RC7
                      and so getting strange results.
                    • Hugh Foster
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 11, 2005
                        > I think (but am not sure) he was using the CMP EpicLH files with 58RC7
                        > and so getting strange results.

                        Quite correct - I was - and have apologized for the FP of raising a
                        CMP one here :)

                        Out of interest, it seems they plan to update the sets to coincide
                        with the release of 5.8.real and if that cures it I'll post so - in
                        case anyone eelse has this problem but daren't say :)

                        --

                        Hugh Foster
                        hugh@...

                        11/05/2005 8:06:22 AM
                      • Hugh Foster
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 11, 2005
                          > I think (but am not sure) he was using the CMP EpicLH files with 58RC7
                          > and so getting strange results.

                          Another point I just noticed. If I try and dial the character in to a
                          plain PCGEN (rc6 was handy) without the CMP set it refuses to go over
                          level 20 - says "Maximum level reached" which is aggravating when your
                          players are 35th level.

                          Do I guess right that Epic is SRD in 3.5 (which I haven't got) but not
                          in 3.0 (which we play)?

                          In which case I will have to suffer on with the bought dataset and
                          live with the oddnesses?

                          NOTE THIS IS NOT A MISPLACED CMP QUESTION but a query about Epic
                          support in PCG between 3.0 and 3.5! [don't wanna start that again!]

                          --

                          Hugh Foster
                          hugh@...

                          11/05/2005 5:55:50 PM
                        • Paul W. King
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 11, 2005
                            > Another point I just noticed. If I try and dial the character in to
                            > a plain PCGEN (rc6 was handy) without the CMP set it refuses to go
                            > over level 20 - says "Maximum level reached" which is aggravating
                            > when your players are 35th level.

                            Do you have the 'Ignore Level Cap' flag set in Preferences?

                            > Do I guess right that Epic is SRD in 3.5 (which I haven't got) but
                            > not in 3.0 (which we play)?

                            That is correct, Epic information was added to the RSRD, not the SRD.
                            The SRD only got portions of the 3.0 PHB, DMG, MM and PsiHB.

                            > In which case I will have to suffer on with the bought dataset and
                            > live with the oddnesses?

                            If you want 3.0 Epic without having to code it yourself, than yes, I
                            think your only other option would be to buy it from CMP.

                            Paul W. King
                            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                          • Barak
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 11, 2005
                              Just fix the feat so that it works properly.

                              It currently has "BONUS:STAT|STR|1*COUNT[FEATNAME=Great Strength]" which is
                              how it had to be done when the set was constructed.

                              It needs to be changed to "BONUS:STAT|STR|1"

                              Barak

                            • Hugh Foster
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 12, 2005
                                > If you want 3.0 Epic without having to code it yourself, than yes, I
                                > think your only other option would be to buy it from CMP.

                                That's what I thought - and what I did! - just exploring if there were
                                more compatible ways to fix it.

                                I'll try Barak's suggestion :)

                                --

                                Hugh Foster
                                hugh@...

                                12/05/2005 9:21:49 AM
                              • Hugh Foster
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 12, 2005
                                  > Just fix the feat so that it works properly.
                                  >
                                  > It currently has "BONUS:STAT|STR|1*COUNT[FEATNAME=Great Strength]" which is
                                  > how it had to be done when the set was constructed.
                                  >
                                  > It needs to be changed to "BONUS:STAT|STR|1"
                                  >
                                  > Barak

                                  I will try that - thanks :)

                                  Yay - looks like it works!

                                  --

                                  Hugh Foster
                                  hugh@...
                                  http://www.ace-dog.com
                                  Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. (Thomas Paine)

                                  12/05/2005 9:24:47 AM