Re: [pcgen] Red Wizard of Thay not supported?

  • Aaron Sherman
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2005
      On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 23:36, Charles Barnett wrote:

      > [...]even though it appears in the DMG now[...]

      Keep in mind that the DMG is not OGL content. It *contains* OGL content,
      but some things are proprietary parts of D&D.

      --
      Aaron Sherman <ajs@...>
      Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2005
        So can we ever expect to see any support for thr Red Wizard, or is it
        out of the question? I *just* got my PCGen app last week, so I am new
        to all this stuff and don't know all the technical abbreviations you
        guys are using. (I got PHB, DMG, & MM, but don't know the rest)

        Do you have a link to the code monkey's "official" files, will they
        work as a direct plugin to pcgen, and how much are they?

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kingdutka" <kingdutka@y...> wrote:
        > I was looking through the available classes and I see most of the
        > Prestige Classes from the DM's guide, but I don't see "Red Wizard"
        > (Page 149 DM's Guide 3.5E).
        >
        > I guess I noticed this because my friend has an evoker he is wishing
        > to make into a Red Wizard, and he has all the pre-requisites except
        > for Tattoo Focus. I was trying to find the Tattoo Focus feat, but it
        > is not there. So then I thought, "Maybe we have to give him the Red
        > Wizard level first", but that wouldn't make sense because he can't
        > even be a Red Wizard withouth the Tattoo Focus feat.
        >
        > So, there are some things missing that I would very much like to see
        > implemented.... Please bring in Red Wizard compatibility! Thanks, and
        > keep up the great work!
      • (no author)
        Message 3 of 15 , May 4, 2005
          ok ok ok,,,,, here is it

        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2005
            I'll try and explain what everyone is talking about since you're a newbie
            here.

            When 3rd edition came out in 2000, Wizards of the Coast (WotC) also created
            the Open Gaming License (OGL) (
            http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/OGLv1.0a.rtf ). This would allow 3rd party
            publishers to use Open Game Content (OGC) as long as they followed the rules
            laid out in the OGL. WotC took most, but not all, of the material in the
            PHB, DMG and MM and created the System Reference Document (SRD). They
            declared this to be OGC, which is what the 3rd party publishers initially
            used. At a later date, WotC added material from the Psionics Handbook to the
            SRD.

            When d20 Modern came out, WotC created the Modern System Reference Document
            (MSRD) ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd ). This
            contains material from d20 Modern, d20 Future, Menace Manual and Urban
            Arcana.

            When 3.5 came out, WotC created the Revised System Reference Document (RSRD)
            ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 ). This contains
            material from the 3.5 PHB, 3.5 DMG, 3.5 MM, Expanded Psionics Handbook,
            Deities and Demigods (not everything in this material was converted to 3.5),
            Epic Level Handbook (as Deities and Demigods) and a little bit from Manual
            of the Planes.

            Any material that WotC did not place in the various Reference Documents is
            not available for 3rd party publishers to use. The Red Wizard of Thay did
            not make it into the RSRD, so PCGen can not include that in our
            distribution.

            Does that help out a little bit?

            Now, to answer your other question. Code Monkey Publishing (CMP) (
            http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/ ) has a license from WotC to create
            datasets for many of their books. To see what they have, you'll need to
            browse their store.

            Hope all this has helped you.

            Paul W. King
            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
            So can we ever expect to see any support for thr Red Wizard, or is it out
            of the question? I *just* got my PCGen app last week, so I am new to all
            this stuff and don't know all the technical abbreviations you guys are
            using. (I got PHB, DMG, & MM, but don't know the rest)

            Do you have a link to the code monkey's "official" files, will they work
            as a direct plugin to pcgen, and how much are they?
          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2005
              Paul W. King wrote:

              > I'll try and explain what everyone is talking about since you're a newbie
              > here.

              Can we please, please put an explanation like this in a more prominent
              place in the documentation?

              Stefan.
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                [ 1195049 ] acronyms defined
                http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1195049&group_id=66
                204&atid=513778

                Paul W. King
                TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                > I'll try and explain what everyone is talking about since you're a
                newbie
                > here.

                Can we please, please put an explanation like this in a more prominent
                place in the documentation?
              • Kent P
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                  You will need to get the Forgotten Realms Campaign files to have the
                  Tattoo Focus Feat available. That is likely also where you will find
                  Red Wizard compatibility.

                  http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/xcart/home.php?cat=316 is as good
                  a starting place as any to review the available sets. They are
                  inexpensive and useful, though you are stuck using an older version of
                  PCGen until they update to 5.8, hopefully in the near future.

                  Kent
                  (Probably the Kent you're thinking of, but not necessarily. I accept
                  no responsibility if you've mistaken me for someone else.)

                  On 5/3/05, kingdutka <kingdutka@...> wrote:
                  > So can we ever expect to see any support for thr Red Wizard, or is it
                  > out of the question? I *just* got my PCGen app last week, so I am new
                  > to all this stuff and don't know all the technical abbreviations you
                  > guys are using. (I got PHB, DMG, & MM, but don't know the rest)
                  >
                  > Do you have a link to the code monkey's "official" files, will they
                  > work as a direct plugin to pcgen, and how much are they?
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kingdutka" <kingdutka@y...> wrote:
                  > > I was looking through the available classes and I see most of the
                  > > Prestige Classes from the DM's guide, but I don't see "Red Wizard"
                  > > (Page 149 DM's Guide 3.5E).
                  > >
                  > > I guess I noticed this because my friend has an evoker he is wishing
                  > > to make into a Red Wizard, and he has all the pre-requisites except
                  > > for Tattoo Focus. I was trying to find the Tattoo Focus feat, but it
                  > > is not there. So then I thought, "Maybe we have to give him the Red
                  > > Wizard level first", but that wouldn't make sense because he can't
                  > > even be a Red Wizard withouth the Tattoo Focus feat.
                  > >
                  > > So, there are some things missing that I would very much like to see
                  > > implemented.... Please bring in Red Wizard compatibility! Thanks, and
                  > > keep up the great work!

                  > PCGen's FAQ:
                  > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Paul W. King
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                    > Any material that WotC did not place in the various Reference
                    > Documents is not available for 3rd party publishers to use.

                    Slight clarification. WotC has created 3 books, to my knowledge, that
                    contain OGC that are not part of the various reference documents. MM2,
                    d20 Weapons Locker and Unearthed Arcana.

                    Paul W. King
                    TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                  • Eddy Anthony
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                      On 5/4/05 1:53 PM, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

                      > Slight clarification. WotC has created 3 books, to my knowledge, that
                      > contain OGC that are not part of the various reference documents. MM2,
                      > d20 Weapons Locker and Unearthed Arcana.

                      MM2? Monster Manual 2?
                      Really, which parts are OGL?
                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                        > MM2? Monster Manual 2?
                        > Really, which parts are OGL?

                        The last 2 monsters IIRC.

                        Paul W. King
                        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                      • Jay
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 16, 2005
                          They probably aern't in the 3.5 d20 SRD. No Forgotten Realms material
                          is, and therefore you won't find it in PCGen.