RE: [pcgen] Red Wizard of Thay not supported?

  • David
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2005
      Where are you looking for The Red Wizard of Thay?

      If in the RSRD files, it won't be there as it is not in the RSRD. As an FYI,
      the RSRD does *NOT* contain everything that is in the PHB, DMG & MM.

      If you bought the "official" PHB/DMG files from Code Monkeys it is in the
      files.

      -- david

      > kingdutka wrote:
      >
      > >I was looking through the available classes and I see most of the
      > >Prestige Classes from the DM's guide, but I don't see "Red Wizard"
      > >(Page 149 DM's Guide 3.5E).
      > >
      > >I guess I noticed this because my friend has an evoker he is
      > wishing to
      > >make into a Red Wizard, and he has all the pre-requisites except for
      > >Tattoo Focus. I was trying to find the Tattoo Focus feat,
      > but it is not
      > >there. So then I thought, "Maybe we have to give him the Red Wizard
      > >level first", but that wouldn't make sense because he can't
      > even be a
      > >Red Wizard withouth the Tattoo Focus feat.
      > >
      > >So, there are some things missing that I would very much like to see
      > >implemented.... Please bring in Red Wizard compatibility!
      > Thanks, and
      > >keep up the great work!
    • Aaron Sherman
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2005
        On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 23:36, Charles Barnett wrote:

        > [...]even though it appears in the DMG now[...]

        Keep in mind that the DMG is not OGL content. It *contains* OGL content,
        but some things are proprietary parts of D&D.

        --
        Aaron Sherman <ajs@...>
        Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2005
          So can we ever expect to see any support for thr Red Wizard, or is it
          out of the question? I *just* got my PCGen app last week, so I am new
          to all this stuff and don't know all the technical abbreviations you
          guys are using. (I got PHB, DMG, & MM, but don't know the rest)

          Do you have a link to the code monkey's "official" files, will they
          work as a direct plugin to pcgen, and how much are they?

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kingdutka" <kingdutka@y...> wrote:
          > I was looking through the available classes and I see most of the
          > Prestige Classes from the DM's guide, but I don't see "Red Wizard"
          > (Page 149 DM's Guide 3.5E).
          >
          > I guess I noticed this because my friend has an evoker he is wishing
          > to make into a Red Wizard, and he has all the pre-requisites except
          > for Tattoo Focus. I was trying to find the Tattoo Focus feat, but it
          > is not there. So then I thought, "Maybe we have to give him the Red
          > Wizard level first", but that wouldn't make sense because he can't
          > even be a Red Wizard withouth the Tattoo Focus feat.
          >
          > So, there are some things missing that I would very much like to see
          > implemented.... Please bring in Red Wizard compatibility! Thanks, and
          > keep up the great work!
        • (no author)
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2005
            ok ok ok,,,,, here is it

          • Paul W. King
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2005
              I'll try and explain what everyone is talking about since you're a newbie
              here.

              When 3rd edition came out in 2000, Wizards of the Coast (WotC) also created
              the Open Gaming License (OGL) (
              http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/OGLv1.0a.rtf ). This would allow 3rd party
              publishers to use Open Game Content (OGC) as long as they followed the rules
              laid out in the OGL. WotC took most, but not all, of the material in the
              PHB, DMG and MM and created the System Reference Document (SRD). They
              declared this to be OGC, which is what the 3rd party publishers initially
              used. At a later date, WotC added material from the Psionics Handbook to the
              SRD.

              When d20 Modern came out, WotC created the Modern System Reference Document
              (MSRD) ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd ). This
              contains material from d20 Modern, d20 Future, Menace Manual and Urban
              Arcana.

              When 3.5 came out, WotC created the Revised System Reference Document (RSRD)
              ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 ). This contains
              material from the 3.5 PHB, 3.5 DMG, 3.5 MM, Expanded Psionics Handbook,
              Deities and Demigods (not everything in this material was converted to 3.5),
              Epic Level Handbook (as Deities and Demigods) and a little bit from Manual
              of the Planes.

              Any material that WotC did not place in the various Reference Documents is
              not available for 3rd party publishers to use. The Red Wizard of Thay did
              not make it into the RSRD, so PCGen can not include that in our
              distribution.

              Does that help out a little bit?

              Now, to answer your other question. Code Monkey Publishing (CMP) (
              http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/ ) has a license from WotC to create
              datasets for many of their books. To see what they have, you'll need to
              browse their store.

              Hope all this has helped you.

              Paul W. King
              TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
              So can we ever expect to see any support for thr Red Wizard, or is it out
              of the question? I *just* got my PCGen app last week, so I am new to all
              this stuff and don't know all the technical abbreviations you guys are
              using. (I got PHB, DMG, & MM, but don't know the rest)

              Do you have a link to the code monkey's "official" files, will they work
              as a direct plugin to pcgen, and how much are they?
            • Stefan Radermacher
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                Paul W. King wrote:

                > I'll try and explain what everyone is talking about since you're a newbie
                > here.

                Can we please, please put an explanation like this in a more prominent
                place in the documentation?

                Stefan.
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                  [ 1195049 ] acronyms defined
                  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1195049&group_id=66
                  204&atid=513778

                  Paul W. King
                  TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                  > I'll try and explain what everyone is talking about since you're a
                  newbie
                  > here.

                  Can we please, please put an explanation like this in a more prominent
                  place in the documentation?
                • Kent P
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                    You will need to get the Forgotten Realms Campaign files to have the
                    Tattoo Focus Feat available. That is likely also where you will find
                    Red Wizard compatibility.

                    http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/xcart/home.php?cat=316 is as good
                    a starting place as any to review the available sets. They are
                    inexpensive and useful, though you are stuck using an older version of
                    PCGen until they update to 5.8, hopefully in the near future.

                    Kent
                    (Probably the Kent you're thinking of, but not necessarily. I accept
                    no responsibility if you've mistaken me for someone else.)

                    On 5/3/05, kingdutka <kingdutka@...> wrote:
                    > So can we ever expect to see any support for thr Red Wizard, or is it
                    > out of the question? I *just* got my PCGen app last week, so I am new
                    > to all this stuff and don't know all the technical abbreviations you
                    > guys are using. (I got PHB, DMG, & MM, but don't know the rest)
                    >
                    > Do you have a link to the code monkey's "official" files, will they
                    > work as a direct plugin to pcgen, and how much are they?
                    >
                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kingdutka" <kingdutka@y...> wrote:
                    > > I was looking through the available classes and I see most of the
                    > > Prestige Classes from the DM's guide, but I don't see "Red Wizard"
                    > > (Page 149 DM's Guide 3.5E).
                    > >
                    > > I guess I noticed this because my friend has an evoker he is wishing
                    > > to make into a Red Wizard, and he has all the pre-requisites except
                    > > for Tattoo Focus. I was trying to find the Tattoo Focus feat, but it
                    > > is not there. So then I thought, "Maybe we have to give him the Red
                    > > Wizard level first", but that wouldn't make sense because he can't
                    > > even be a Red Wizard withouth the Tattoo Focus feat.
                    > >
                    > > So, there are some things missing that I would very much like to see
                    > > implemented.... Please bring in Red Wizard compatibility! Thanks, and
                    > > keep up the great work!

                    > PCGen's FAQ:
                    > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                      > Any material that WotC did not place in the various Reference
                      > Documents is not available for 3rd party publishers to use.

                      Slight clarification. WotC has created 3 books, to my knowledge, that
                      contain OGC that are not part of the various reference documents. MM2,
                      d20 Weapons Locker and Unearthed Arcana.

                      Paul W. King
                      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                        On 5/4/05 1:53 PM, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

                        > Slight clarification. WotC has created 3 books, to my knowledge, that
                        > contain OGC that are not part of the various reference documents. MM2,
                        > d20 Weapons Locker and Unearthed Arcana.

                        MM2? Monster Manual 2?
                        Really, which parts are OGL?
                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                          > MM2? Monster Manual 2?
                          > Really, which parts are OGL?

                          The last 2 monsters IIRC.

                          Paul W. King
                          TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                        • Jay
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 16, 2005
                            They probably aern't in the 3.5 d20 SRD. No Forgotten Realms material
                            is, and therefore you won't find it in PCGen.