Red Wizard of Thay not supported?

  • kingdutka
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2005
      I was looking through the available classes and I see most of the
      Prestige Classes from the DM's guide, but I don't see "Red Wizard"
      (Page 149 DM's Guide 3.5E).

      I guess I noticed this because my friend has an evoker he is wishing
      to make into a Red Wizard, and he has all the pre-requisites except
      for Tattoo Focus. I was trying to find the Tattoo Focus feat, but it
      is not there. So then I thought, "Maybe we have to give him the Red
      Wizard level first", but that wouldn't make sense because he can't
      even be a Red Wizard withouth the Tattoo Focus feat.

      So, there are some things missing that I would very much like to see
      implemented.... Please bring in Red Wizard compatibility! Thanks, and
      keep up the great work!
    • Jonathan M. Thompson
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2005
        My guess would be that it's not supported because that class is not part of
        the SRD.

        Jonathan M. Thompson
        President, Battlefield Press, Inc. (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
        jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
        Eric Flint's 1632 Resource Guide and Role Playing Game & Open Core System -
        Available now. Big Bang Universe Resource Guide and Role Playing Game coming
        Summer 2005.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2005
          I am not a pcgen expert by any stretch of the imagination but I would
          say that the reason the the Red Wizard is not in there is because the
          Red Wizard was first a Forgotten Realms specific prestiege class and
          even though it appears in the DMG now it is still a part of the FR
          campaign setting.

          TheErn

          --
          Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
        • David
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2005
            Where are you looking for The Red Wizard of Thay?

            If in the RSRD files, it won't be there as it is not in the RSRD. As an FYI,
            the RSRD does *NOT* contain everything that is in the PHB, DMG & MM.

            If you bought the "official" PHB/DMG files from Code Monkeys it is in the
            files.

            -- david

            > kingdutka wrote:
            >
            > >I was looking through the available classes and I see most of the
            > >Prestige Classes from the DM's guide, but I don't see "Red Wizard"
            > >(Page 149 DM's Guide 3.5E).
            > >
            > >I guess I noticed this because my friend has an evoker he is
            > wishing to
            > >make into a Red Wizard, and he has all the pre-requisites except for
            > >Tattoo Focus. I was trying to find the Tattoo Focus feat,
            > but it is not
            > >there. So then I thought, "Maybe we have to give him the Red Wizard
            > >level first", but that wouldn't make sense because he can't
            > even be a
            > >Red Wizard withouth the Tattoo Focus feat.
            > >
            > >So, there are some things missing that I would very much like to see
            > >implemented.... Please bring in Red Wizard compatibility!
            > Thanks, and
            > >keep up the great work!
          • Aaron Sherman
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2005
              On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 23:36, Charles Barnett wrote:

              > [...]even though it appears in the DMG now[...]

              Keep in mind that the DMG is not OGL content. It *contains* OGL content,
              but some things are proprietary parts of D&D.

              --
              Aaron Sherman <ajs@...>
              Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2005
                So can we ever expect to see any support for thr Red Wizard, or is it
                out of the question? I *just* got my PCGen app last week, so I am new
                to all this stuff and don't know all the technical abbreviations you
                guys are using. (I got PHB, DMG, & MM, but don't know the rest)

                Do you have a link to the code monkey's "official" files, will they
                work as a direct plugin to pcgen, and how much are they?

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kingdutka" <kingdutka@y...> wrote:
                > I was looking through the available classes and I see most of the
                > Prestige Classes from the DM's guide, but I don't see "Red Wizard"
                > (Page 149 DM's Guide 3.5E).
                >
                > I guess I noticed this because my friend has an evoker he is wishing
                > to make into a Red Wizard, and he has all the pre-requisites except
                > for Tattoo Focus. I was trying to find the Tattoo Focus feat, but it
                > is not there. So then I thought, "Maybe we have to give him the Red
                > Wizard level first", but that wouldn't make sense because he can't
                > even be a Red Wizard withouth the Tattoo Focus feat.
                >
                > So, there are some things missing that I would very much like to see
                > implemented.... Please bring in Red Wizard compatibility! Thanks, and
                > keep up the great work!
              • (no author)
                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                  ok ok ok,,,,, here is it

                • Paul W. King
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                    I'll try and explain what everyone is talking about since you're a newbie
                    here.

                    When 3rd edition came out in 2000, Wizards of the Coast (WotC) also created
                    the Open Gaming License (OGL) (
                    http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/OGLv1.0a.rtf ). This would allow 3rd party
                    publishers to use Open Game Content (OGC) as long as they followed the rules
                    laid out in the OGL. WotC took most, but not all, of the material in the
                    PHB, DMG and MM and created the System Reference Document (SRD). They
                    declared this to be OGC, which is what the 3rd party publishers initially
                    used. At a later date, WotC added material from the Psionics Handbook to the
                    SRD.

                    When d20 Modern came out, WotC created the Modern System Reference Document
                    (MSRD) ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd ). This
                    contains material from d20 Modern, d20 Future, Menace Manual and Urban
                    Arcana.

                    When 3.5 came out, WotC created the Revised System Reference Document (RSRD)
                    ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 ). This contains
                    material from the 3.5 PHB, 3.5 DMG, 3.5 MM, Expanded Psionics Handbook,
                    Deities and Demigods (not everything in this material was converted to 3.5),
                    Epic Level Handbook (as Deities and Demigods) and a little bit from Manual
                    of the Planes.

                    Any material that WotC did not place in the various Reference Documents is
                    not available for 3rd party publishers to use. The Red Wizard of Thay did
                    not make it into the RSRD, so PCGen can not include that in our
                    distribution.

                    Does that help out a little bit?

                    Now, to answer your other question. Code Monkey Publishing (CMP) (
                    http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/ ) has a license from WotC to create
                    datasets for many of their books. To see what they have, you'll need to
                    browse their store.

                    Hope all this has helped you.

                    Paul W. King
                    TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                    So can we ever expect to see any support for thr Red Wizard, or is it out
                    of the question? I *just* got my PCGen app last week, so I am new to all
                    this stuff and don't know all the technical abbreviations you guys are
                    using. (I got PHB, DMG, & MM, but don't know the rest)

                    Do you have a link to the code monkey's "official" files, will they work
                    as a direct plugin to pcgen, and how much are they?
                  • Stefan Radermacher
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                      Paul W. King wrote:

                      > I'll try and explain what everyone is talking about since you're a newbie
                      > here.

                      Can we please, please put an explanation like this in a more prominent
                      place in the documentation?

                      Stefan.
                    • Paul W. King
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                        [ 1195049 ] acronyms defined
                        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1195049&group_id=66
                        204&atid=513778

                        Paul W. King
                        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                        > I'll try and explain what everyone is talking about since you're a
                        newbie
                        > here.

                        Can we please, please put an explanation like this in a more prominent
                        place in the documentation?
                      • Kent P
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                          You will need to get the Forgotten Realms Campaign files to have the
                          Tattoo Focus Feat available. That is likely also where you will find
                          Red Wizard compatibility.

                          http://www.codemonkeypublishing.com/xcart/home.php?cat=316 is as good
                          a starting place as any to review the available sets. They are
                          inexpensive and useful, though you are stuck using an older version of
                          PCGen until they update to 5.8, hopefully in the near future.

                          Kent
                          (Probably the Kent you're thinking of, but not necessarily. I accept
                          no responsibility if you've mistaken me for someone else.)

                          On 5/3/05, kingdutka <kingdutka@...> wrote:
                          > So can we ever expect to see any support for thr Red Wizard, or is it
                          > out of the question? I *just* got my PCGen app last week, so I am new
                          > to all this stuff and don't know all the technical abbreviations you
                          > guys are using. (I got PHB, DMG, & MM, but don't know the rest)
                          >
                          > Do you have a link to the code monkey's "official" files, will they
                          > work as a direct plugin to pcgen, and how much are they?
                          >
                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kingdutka" <kingdutka@y...> wrote:
                          > > I was looking through the available classes and I see most of the
                          > > Prestige Classes from the DM's guide, but I don't see "Red Wizard"
                          > > (Page 149 DM's Guide 3.5E).
                          > >
                          > > I guess I noticed this because my friend has an evoker he is wishing
                          > > to make into a Red Wizard, and he has all the pre-requisites except
                          > > for Tattoo Focus. I was trying to find the Tattoo Focus feat, but it
                          > > is not there. So then I thought, "Maybe we have to give him the Red
                          > > Wizard level first", but that wouldn't make sense because he can't
                          > > even be a Red Wizard withouth the Tattoo Focus feat.
                          > >
                          > > So, there are some things missing that I would very much like to see
                          > > implemented.... Please bring in Red Wizard compatibility! Thanks, and
                          > > keep up the great work!

                          > PCGen's FAQ:
                          > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Paul W. King
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                            > Any material that WotC did not place in the various Reference
                            > Documents is not available for 3rd party publishers to use.

                            Slight clarification. WotC has created 3 books, to my knowledge, that
                            contain OGC that are not part of the various reference documents. MM2,
                            d20 Weapons Locker and Unearthed Arcana.

                            Paul W. King
                            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                          • Eddy Anthony
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                              On 5/4/05 1:53 PM, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

                              > Slight clarification. WotC has created 3 books, to my knowledge, that
                              > contain OGC that are not part of the various reference documents. MM2,
                              > d20 Weapons Locker and Unearthed Arcana.

                              MM2? Monster Manual 2?
                              Really, which parts are OGL?
                              --
                              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                              ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                                > MM2? Monster Manual 2?
                                > Really, which parts are OGL?

                                The last 2 monsters IIRC.

                                Paul W. King
                                TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                              • Jay
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 16, 2005
                                  They probably aern't in the 3.5 d20 SRD. No Forgotten Realms material
                                  is, and therefore you won't find it in PCGen.