Re: Dragonlance...

  • zifnabbe
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
      > Not true. All other open PCGen LST files will still work, just not
      with

      Ah, okay. So the CMP core datasets don't clash with the ones in PCGen.
      They can live beside each other. That's a releaf.
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
        On 4/5/05 9:33 AM, "zifnabbe" <tom.deprez@...> wrote:

        > That's a pitty...
        >
        > So because of the fact that Dragonlance isn't OGL and people would
        > like to use PCGen for creating their Dragonlance characters, you've
        > either to:
        >
        > 1. Buy the core & dragonlance sets from CMP; but this will make all
        > other open PCGen lst files unusable.
        > 2. Manage your own custom dragonlance set

        That's the way the world works, aren't you glad option 2 is available at
        all?

        There are plans to address the compatibility issues but it will take time
        and no small amount of effort so please have patients.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
          All of CMP's things are in seperate Game Modes. I'm not sure if
          Dragonlance is in the 3.5 Game Mode or if it has it's own game mode (I
          just got it myself and haven't had a chance to use it yet). So you will
          still have the default PCGen 3.5 Game Mode and the CMP 3.5 Game Mode.

          zifnabbe wrote:

          >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
          >

          >>Not true. All other open PCGen LST files will still work, just not
          >>

          >with
          >
          >Ah, okay. So the CMP core datasets don't clash with the ones in PCGen.
          >They can live beside each other. That's a releaf.

          --

          Steven Gilroy
          PCGen OS Lemur
        • Andrew Wilson
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
            On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:59:08AM -0400, Eddy Anthony wrote:
            > There are plans to address the compatibility issues but it will take time
            > and no small amount of effort so please have patients.

            I'm sorry I don't have the time to go back to university and study
            medicine ...

            andrew
            --
            Capricorn: (Dec. 22 - Jan. 19)
            Your career as a plastic surgeon is in danger of coming to a
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
              > 1. Buy the core & dragonlance sets from CMP; but this will make all
              > other open PCGen lst files unusable.
              > 2. Manage your own custom dragonlance set
              >
              > That's the way the world works, aren't you glad option 2 is
              available > at all?

              yup, yup... but it is a pitty that we can't share our custom list
              files. It is with sharing stuff that things can get better. But enough
              said about this.
            • Edwin Holley
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
                If I am not mistaken, this is not correct. My understanding is that
                if you use CMP and want it to work OOTB (out of the box) then you will need
                to use 5.6.1. You will then be using those data sets, or possibly some
                small number of versions forward. Some things will work better (I presume),
                some will not work, and some will be incomplete. This is a very early
                version.
                As a possibility, the CMP sets could be edited (updated) to work
                with a later version. This would probably be a very time consuming
                process, unless you are already a DS aficionado. But help is of course
                available.
                I will say that although I would not call d20's release of their
                data as true "Open Source", it is a remarkable endeavor to be taken by a
                company with its share of financial problems. The fact that they have
                allowed this to happen at all is no small feat. I can think of no other
                company in this industry that sanctions the creation of a character
                generator at all, on a for pay set of products. Especially when this
                project is directly competing with theirs.
                At this point I wonder why they have not put a little money into
                pcgen as further good will. I don't blame them for not doing this, but I
                could easily see pcgen canned and placed on their site for use with their
                products. It would further their release of their OGL products.

                > Not true. All other open PCGen LST files will still work, just not
                with

                Ah, okay. So the CMP core datasets don't clash with the ones in PCGen.
                They can live beside each other. That's a releaf.

                PCGen's FAQ:
                http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Edwin Holley
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
                  Custom list files may be shared, as long as they are OGL compliant
                  data. It would be interesting to include pictures in this data as well.
                  But of course who wants data that large (or the conversion to XML or SQL or
                  some other such standard)

                  p.s. I like starting friendly food fights :-)

                  > 1. Buy the core & dragonlance sets from CMP; but this will make all
                  > other open PCGen lst files unusable.
                  > 2. Manage your own custom dragonlance set
                  >
                  > That's the way the world works, aren't you glad option 2 is
                  available > at all?

                  yup, yup... but it is a pitty that we can't share our custom list
                  files. It is with sharing stuff that things can get better. But enough
                  said about this.

                  PCGen's FAQ:
                  http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Terry FitzSimons
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
                    3. Buy the dataset from CMP, convert to PcGen and use it, don't distribute
                    it. Just like I did with the Eberron dataset, err to the extent that I am
                    using it at least at least.

                    Couple of additional points, what they have is for PcGen 5.6.1, the last
                    production release.

                    They will eventually update to 5.8.0 whenever its finalized then drop the
                    matter to concentrate on their paying customers.

                    So you will need to figure out how to translate everything that you got
                    from them eventually when we go to 5.9.0 if the data monkeys start
                    overhauling all of the tags because they have the time to do so.

                    --

                    Terry FitzSimons
                    FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
                      Well take the crash course down at the Red Cross, buy your own scalpel and
                      a book of Grey's. Then just wander around, someone will lay down for you
                      eventually.