Re: [pcgen] Re: Dragonlance...

  • Steven Gilroy
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
      Not true. All other open PCGen LST files will still work, just not with
      the CMP data sets.
      It is sad for the end user, but that's business. Unfortunatelly
      publishers believe that if the datasets are given out for free people
      won't buy the books and they won't make any money. But that's a whole
      other argument that has happened far to many times and has gotten far to
      dirty on these boards.

      --

      Steven Gilroy
      PCGen OS Lemur
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
        > Not true. All other open PCGen LST files will still work, just not
        with

        Ah, okay. So the CMP core datasets don't clash with the ones in PCGen.
        They can live beside each other. That's a releaf.
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
          On 4/5/05 9:33 AM, "zifnabbe" <tom.deprez@...> wrote:

          > That's a pitty...
          >
          > So because of the fact that Dragonlance isn't OGL and people would
          > like to use PCGen for creating their Dragonlance characters, you've
          > either to:
          >
          > 1. Buy the core & dragonlance sets from CMP; but this will make all
          > other open PCGen lst files unusable.
          > 2. Manage your own custom dragonlance set

          That's the way the world works, aren't you glad option 2 is available at
          all?

          There are plans to address the compatibility issues but it will take time
          and no small amount of effort so please have patients.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
            All of CMP's things are in seperate Game Modes. I'm not sure if
            Dragonlance is in the 3.5 Game Mode or if it has it's own game mode (I
            just got it myself and haven't had a chance to use it yet). So you will
            still have the default PCGen 3.5 Game Mode and the CMP 3.5 Game Mode.

            zifnabbe wrote:

            >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gilroy <sgilroy2@w...> wrote:
            >

            >>Not true. All other open PCGen LST files will still work, just not
            >>

            >with
            >
            >Ah, okay. So the CMP core datasets don't clash with the ones in PCGen.
            >They can live beside each other. That's a releaf.

            --

            Steven Gilroy
            PCGen OS Lemur
          • Andrew Wilson
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
              On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:59:08AM -0400, Eddy Anthony wrote:
              > There are plans to address the compatibility issues but it will take time
              > and no small amount of effort so please have patients.

              I'm sorry I don't have the time to go back to university and study
              medicine ...

              andrew
              --
              Capricorn: (Dec. 22 - Jan. 19)
              Your career as a plastic surgeon is in danger of coming to a
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
                > 1. Buy the core & dragonlance sets from CMP; but this will make all
                > other open PCGen lst files unusable.
                > 2. Manage your own custom dragonlance set
                >
                > That's the way the world works, aren't you glad option 2 is
                available > at all?

                yup, yup... but it is a pitty that we can't share our custom list
                files. It is with sharing stuff that things can get better. But enough
                said about this.
              • Edwin Holley
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
                  If I am not mistaken, this is not correct. My understanding is that
                  if you use CMP and want it to work OOTB (out of the box) then you will need
                  to use 5.6.1. You will then be using those data sets, or possibly some
                  small number of versions forward. Some things will work better (I presume),
                  some will not work, and some will be incomplete. This is a very early
                  version.
                  As a possibility, the CMP sets could be edited (updated) to work
                  with a later version. This would probably be a very time consuming
                  process, unless you are already a DS aficionado. But help is of course
                  available.
                  I will say that although I would not call d20's release of their
                  data as true "Open Source", it is a remarkable endeavor to be taken by a
                  company with its share of financial problems. The fact that they have
                  allowed this to happen at all is no small feat. I can think of no other
                  company in this industry that sanctions the creation of a character
                  generator at all, on a for pay set of products. Especially when this
                  project is directly competing with theirs.
                  At this point I wonder why they have not put a little money into
                  pcgen as further good will. I don't blame them for not doing this, but I
                  could easily see pcgen canned and placed on their site for use with their
                  products. It would further their release of their OGL products.

                  > Not true. All other open PCGen LST files will still work, just not
                  with

                  Ah, okay. So the CMP core datasets don't clash with the ones in PCGen.
                  They can live beside each other. That's a releaf.

                  PCGen's FAQ:
                  http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Edwin Holley
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
                    Custom list files may be shared, as long as they are OGL compliant
                    data. It would be interesting to include pictures in this data as well.
                    But of course who wants data that large (or the conversion to XML or SQL or
                    some other such standard)

                    p.s. I like starting friendly food fights :-)

                    > 1. Buy the core & dragonlance sets from CMP; but this will make all
                    > other open PCGen lst files unusable.
                    > 2. Manage your own custom dragonlance set
                    >
                    > That's the way the world works, aren't you glad option 2 is
                    available > at all?

                    yup, yup... but it is a pitty that we can't share our custom list
                    files. It is with sharing stuff that things can get better. But enough
                    said about this.

                    PCGen's FAQ:
                    http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Terry FitzSimons
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
                      3. Buy the dataset from CMP, convert to PcGen and use it, don't distribute
                      it. Just like I did with the Eberron dataset, err to the extent that I am
                      using it at least at least.

                      Couple of additional points, what they have is for PcGen 5.6.1, the last
                      production release.

                      They will eventually update to 5.8.0 whenever its finalized then drop the
                      matter to concentrate on their paying customers.

                      So you will need to figure out how to translate everything that you got
                      from them eventually when we go to 5.9.0 if the data monkeys start
                      overhauling all of the tags because they have the time to do so.

                      --

                      Terry FitzSimons
                      FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 5, 2005
                        Well take the crash course down at the Red Cross, buy your own scalpel and
                        a book of Grey's. Then just wander around, someone will lay down for you
                        eventually.