Re: [pcgen] d20 Modern Mutations

  • John Rudd
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
      On Apr 3, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

      > John Rudd scribed:
      >
      >> There should probably be a "Extra Mutation Points" feat, that grants a
      >> single mutation point, and can be taken multiple times (and stacks).
      >> So that a GM can grant free mutations, or bestow mutations under
      >> various circumstances.
      >
      > There is a temporary bonus available in the Temporary Bonus Tab when
      > you
      > have mutations applied which will remove all limitations (in terms of
      > Drawbacks required). I put this in specifically for this reason, We
      > can't do
      > the feat you describe above because it does not exist in the source
      > material.

      This seems rather difficult to invoke. I've tried figuring out how to
      do it twice, and by doing various random things, I got it to work ...
      but I have no idea how.

      If I select Cybernetic Dependancy, the Feat part of "Temporary Bonus
      Tab" doesn't expand to anything ... and if I double click on "Feat" it
      tells me I have to select an item.

      If I add Unnatural Eyes, the feat part of the bonus tab expands to
      allow me to select a "Mutant" bonus. But, if I then remove Unnatural
      Eyes (without selecting the bonus), I can still see/select the Mutant
      bonus.

      This all seems odd to me. It doesn't make sense as to which mutations
      I need to have in order to make the bonus available. And, if this is a
      spontaneous mutation bestowed by the GM, why should I have to
      temporarily have to assign a different mutation just to make the bonus
      show up in the bonus tab?

      The intuitive thing would be to allow me to choose the mutant bonus no
      matter what: whether I have an existing mutation/drawback or not.
      Otherwise, I have to add temporary fake mutations/drawbacks just to get
      to the bonus, and then remove those mutations after I have the bonus.
      That type of hackish-behavior isn't good design.
    • John Rudd
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
        On Apr 3, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

        > John Rudd scribed:
        >
        >> There should probably be a "Extra Mutation Points" feat, that grants a
        >> single mutation point, and can be taken multiple times (and stacks).
        >> So that a GM can grant free mutations, or bestow mutations under
        >> various circumstances.
        >
        > There is a temporary bonus available in the Temporary Bonus Tab when
        > you
        > have mutations applied which will remove all limitations (in terms of
        > Drawbacks required). I put this in specifically for this reason, We
        > can't do
        > the feat you describe above because it does not exist in the source
        > material.

        1) Ok, so it seems that I can't take a drawback, select it, and then
        have the bonus be visible in the bonus tab. Instead, it looks like I
        have to select a 0 point mutation, then go to the bonus tab, and then I
        can see the bonus. THEN I can go back to the Feat tab and remove the 0
        point mutation, and still see the bonus in the bonus tab. Again,
        that's rather hackish behavior. I shouldn't have to have a mutation
        (especially a mutation my character wont actually have, at any point,
        in the game world -- the mutation exists purely for the point of
        tricking PCGen into doing the right thing) in order to get the mutation
        points bonus.

        2) The bonus doesn't work. I still can't buy even a 1 point mutation.

        3) If I add the bonus twice, and remove one of the instances, both
        disappear.

        4) The bonus value should be editable.

        (#3 and #4 combine to create a situation where I MUST add 100 mutation
        points to my character ... if my GM granted me a 3 point mutation, I
        can't just add 3 points to the character and add the mutation, I have
        to 100 points and then take the mutation ... leaving me with the
        ability to add 97 more points of mutations; this also throws off any
        ability to track the mutations if I later become a full mutant and need
        to balance my mutation points; instead, PCGen should allow me to add a
        specific number of mutation points to my character, and do so multiple
        times (so that I can have multiple "gift mutations")).