Re: [pcgen] d20 Modern Mutations

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 8:07 PM
      John Rudd scribed:

      > There should probably be a "Extra Mutation Points" feat, that grants a
      > single mutation point, and can be taken multiple times (and stacks).
      > So that a GM can grant free mutations, or bestow mutations under
      > various circumstances.

      There is a temporary bonus available in the Temporary Bonus Tab when you
      have mutations applied which will remove all limitations (in terms of
      Drawbacks required). I put this in specifically for this reason, We can't do
      the feat you describe above because it does not exist in the source
      material.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4 5:57 AM
        On Apr 3, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

        > John Rudd scribed:
        >
        >> There should probably be a "Extra Mutation Points" feat, that grants a
        >> single mutation point, and can be taken multiple times (and stacks).
        >> So that a GM can grant free mutations, or bestow mutations under
        >> various circumstances.
        >
        > There is a temporary bonus available in the Temporary Bonus Tab when
        > you
        > have mutations applied which will remove all limitations (in terms of
        > Drawbacks required). I put this in specifically for this reason, We
        > can't do
        > the feat you describe above because it does not exist in the source
        > material.

        This seems rather difficult to invoke. I've tried figuring out how to
        do it twice, and by doing various random things, I got it to work ...
        but I have no idea how.

        If I select Cybernetic Dependancy, the Feat part of "Temporary Bonus
        Tab" doesn't expand to anything ... and if I double click on "Feat" it
        tells me I have to select an item.

        If I add Unnatural Eyes, the feat part of the bonus tab expands to
        allow me to select a "Mutant" bonus. But, if I then remove Unnatural
        Eyes (without selecting the bonus), I can still see/select the Mutant
        bonus.

        This all seems odd to me. It doesn't make sense as to which mutations
        I need to have in order to make the bonus available. And, if this is a
        spontaneous mutation bestowed by the GM, why should I have to
        temporarily have to assign a different mutation just to make the bonus
        show up in the bonus tab?

        The intuitive thing would be to allow me to choose the mutant bonus no
        matter what: whether I have an existing mutation/drawback or not.
        Otherwise, I have to add temporary fake mutations/drawbacks just to get
        to the bonus, and then remove those mutations after I have the bonus.
        That type of hackish-behavior isn't good design.
      • John Rudd
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4 6:06 AM
          On Apr 3, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

          > John Rudd scribed:
          >
          >> There should probably be a "Extra Mutation Points" feat, that grants a
          >> single mutation point, and can be taken multiple times (and stacks).
          >> So that a GM can grant free mutations, or bestow mutations under
          >> various circumstances.
          >
          > There is a temporary bonus available in the Temporary Bonus Tab when
          > you
          > have mutations applied which will remove all limitations (in terms of
          > Drawbacks required). I put this in specifically for this reason, We
          > can't do
          > the feat you describe above because it does not exist in the source
          > material.

          1) Ok, so it seems that I can't take a drawback, select it, and then
          have the bonus be visible in the bonus tab. Instead, it looks like I
          have to select a 0 point mutation, then go to the bonus tab, and then I
          can see the bonus. THEN I can go back to the Feat tab and remove the 0
          point mutation, and still see the bonus in the bonus tab. Again,
          that's rather hackish behavior. I shouldn't have to have a mutation
          (especially a mutation my character wont actually have, at any point,
          in the game world -- the mutation exists purely for the point of
          tricking PCGen into doing the right thing) in order to get the mutation
          points bonus.

          2) The bonus doesn't work. I still can't buy even a 1 point mutation.

          3) If I add the bonus twice, and remove one of the instances, both
          disappear.

          4) The bonus value should be editable.

          (#3 and #4 combine to create a situation where I MUST add 100 mutation
          points to my character ... if my GM granted me a 3 point mutation, I
          can't just add 3 points to the character and add the mutation, I have
          to 100 points and then take the mutation ... leaving me with the
          ability to add 97 more points of mutations; this also throws off any
          ability to track the mutations if I later become a full mutant and need
          to balance my mutation points; instead, PCGen should allow me to add a
          specific number of mutation points to my character, and do so multiple
          times (so that I can have multiple "gift mutations")).