d20 Modern Mutations

  • John Rudd
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
      There should probably be a "Extra Mutation Points" feat, that grants a
      single mutation point, and can be taken multiple times (and stacks).
      So that a GM can grant free mutations, or bestow mutations under
      various circumstances.
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
        John Rudd scribed:

        > There should probably be a "Extra Mutation Points" feat, that grants a
        > single mutation point, and can be taken multiple times (and stacks).
        > So that a GM can grant free mutations, or bestow mutations under
        > various circumstances.

        There is a temporary bonus available in the Temporary Bonus Tab when you
        have mutations applied which will remove all limitations (in terms of
        Drawbacks required). I put this in specifically for this reason, We can't do
        the feat you describe above because it does not exist in the source
        material.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
          On Apr 3, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

          > John Rudd scribed:
          >
          >> There should probably be a "Extra Mutation Points" feat, that grants a
          >> single mutation point, and can be taken multiple times (and stacks).
          >> So that a GM can grant free mutations, or bestow mutations under
          >> various circumstances.
          >
          > There is a temporary bonus available in the Temporary Bonus Tab when
          > you
          > have mutations applied which will remove all limitations (in terms of
          > Drawbacks required). I put this in specifically for this reason, We
          > can't do
          > the feat you describe above because it does not exist in the source
          > material.

          This seems rather difficult to invoke. I've tried figuring out how to
          do it twice, and by doing various random things, I got it to work ...
          but I have no idea how.

          If I select Cybernetic Dependancy, the Feat part of "Temporary Bonus
          Tab" doesn't expand to anything ... and if I double click on "Feat" it
          tells me I have to select an item.

          If I add Unnatural Eyes, the feat part of the bonus tab expands to
          allow me to select a "Mutant" bonus. But, if I then remove Unnatural
          Eyes (without selecting the bonus), I can still see/select the Mutant
          bonus.

          This all seems odd to me. It doesn't make sense as to which mutations
          I need to have in order to make the bonus available. And, if this is a
          spontaneous mutation bestowed by the GM, why should I have to
          temporarily have to assign a different mutation just to make the bonus
          show up in the bonus tab?

          The intuitive thing would be to allow me to choose the mutant bonus no
          matter what: whether I have an existing mutation/drawback or not.
          Otherwise, I have to add temporary fake mutations/drawbacks just to get
          to the bonus, and then remove those mutations after I have the bonus.
          That type of hackish-behavior isn't good design.
        • John Rudd
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2005
            On Apr 3, 2005, at 8:07 PM, Eddy Anthony wrote:

            > John Rudd scribed:
            >
            >> There should probably be a "Extra Mutation Points" feat, that grants a
            >> single mutation point, and can be taken multiple times (and stacks).
            >> So that a GM can grant free mutations, or bestow mutations under
            >> various circumstances.
            >
            > There is a temporary bonus available in the Temporary Bonus Tab when
            > you
            > have mutations applied which will remove all limitations (in terms of
            > Drawbacks required). I put this in specifically for this reason, We
            > can't do
            > the feat you describe above because it does not exist in the source
            > material.

            1) Ok, so it seems that I can't take a drawback, select it, and then
            have the bonus be visible in the bonus tab. Instead, it looks like I
            have to select a 0 point mutation, then go to the bonus tab, and then I
            can see the bonus. THEN I can go back to the Feat tab and remove the 0
            point mutation, and still see the bonus in the bonus tab. Again,
            that's rather hackish behavior. I shouldn't have to have a mutation
            (especially a mutation my character wont actually have, at any point,
            in the game world -- the mutation exists purely for the point of
            tricking PCGen into doing the right thing) in order to get the mutation
            points bonus.

            2) The bonus doesn't work. I still can't buy even a 1 point mutation.

            3) If I add the bonus twice, and remove one of the instances, both
            disappear.

            4) The bonus value should be editable.

            (#3 and #4 combine to create a situation where I MUST add 100 mutation
            points to my character ... if my GM granted me a 3 point mutation, I
            can't just add 3 points to the character and add the mutation, I have
            to 100 points and then take the mutation ... leaving me with the
            ability to add 97 more points of mutations; this also throws off any
            ability to track the mutations if I later become a full mutant and need
            to balance my mutation points; instead, PCGen should allow me to add a
            specific number of mutation points to my character, and do so multiple
            times (so that I can have multiple "gift mutations")).