Re: [pcgen] [Docs] .CLEAR tag update

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005

      Quoting Éric Beaudoin <beaudoer@...>:

      > At 23:02 2005.03.31, Eddy Anthony wrote:
      > >TAG:.CLEAR.<New values to be added>
      > >
      > >This syntax clears ALL the values of the original object and then adds
      > back
      > >any items which follow the .CLEAR. This works with the TYPE tag and maybe
      > >others but not all tags.
      >
      > There should be a BIG NOTE IN FLASHING LETTER that this useage is deprecated.
      > Far better and clearer to use
      >
      > TAG:.CLEAR <tab> TAG:<New values to be added>
      >
      > If we eliminate the CLEAR-then-add version, we will have less confusion with
      > the CLEAR-list-of-elements version.

      What version was this syntax option added in? If it was in the 5.7 series, we
      should be able to eliminate it without breaking too many homebrew files. It
      would be really nice to be able to drop this one.

      Cheers,
      James Dempsey
      PCGen Code Gibbon
    • Éric Beaudoin
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
        At 23:23 2005.03.31, James Dempsey wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >Quoting Éric Beaudoin <beaudoer@...>:
        >

        >> At 23:02 2005.03.31, Eddy Anthony wrote:
        >> >TAG:.CLEAR.<New values to be added>
        >> >
        >> >This syntax clears ALL the values of the original object and then adds
        >> back
        >> >any items which follow the .CLEAR. This works with the TYPE tag and maybe
        >> >others but not all tags.
        >>
        >> There should be a BIG NOTE IN FLASHING LETTER that this useage is deprecated.
        >> Far better and clearer to use
        >>
        >> TAG:.CLEAR <tab> TAG:<New values to be added>
        >>
        >> If we eliminate the CLEAR-then-add version, we will have less confusion with
        >> the CLEAR-list-of-elements version.
        >
        >What version was this syntax option added in? If it was in the 5.7 series, we
        >should be able to eliminate it without breaking too many homebrew files. It
        >would be really nice to be able to drop this one.

        I believe that both versions date from before the last Ice Age.

        It would be very easy to convert the .CLEAR-then-add version in two tags if we know the exact list of tags that work this way. I'm not sure we want to do it this late in the 5.8.0 tree though.

        Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
        Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
        >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
        <mailto:beaudoer@...>
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
          James Dempsey scribed:

          > What version was this syntax option added in? If it was in the 5.7 series, we
          > should be able to eliminate it without breaking too many homebrew files. It
          > would be really nice to be able to drop this one.

          I can't tell you that but I do think it was changed, I try and test the
          stuff I document as best I can and I do remember working on the .CLEAR entry
          about a year ago and at that time I believe it worked as it is described in
          the docs currently (at least with TYPE) so TYPE:.CLEAR.Simple eliminates the
          Simple type, now that same tag clears all the types and ADDs simple.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
            Éric Beaudoin scribed:

            > See the file "Fun Tricks with SA and DEFINE tags v1.2.pdf" in the "Files >
            > Additionnal Documentation" section of PCGenListFileHelp for some explanations
            > and examples about .CLEAR, SA and the ().

            I'll check it out, mind if I add it to the list file class section?
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
              At 23:54 2005.03.31, Eddy Anthony wrote:
              >Éric Beaudoin scribed:
              >
              >> See the file "Fun Tricks with SA and DEFINE tags v1.2.pdf" in the "Files >
              >> Additionnal Documentation" section of PCGenListFileHelp for some explanations
              >> and examples about .CLEAR, SA and the ().
              >
              >I'll check it out, mind if I add it to the list file class section?

              It was freely given so you do what you want with it :-). I might even still have the .doc file that I used to generate the PDF somewhere if you want it.

              You should be aware that it is a bit dated. I'm not sure everything sugested in there is still state of the art. For example, the SA now accept the PRExxx tags and that should always be prefered to using the 0 value var trick.

              Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
              Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
              >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
              <mailto:beaudoer@...>
            • Zevious
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1 7:30 AM
                My understanding for the existence of the multiple ways of doing .CLEAR is
                the fact that with some tags, you can only have one instance in a given
                object. So TAG:.CLEAR & TAG:ADD would fail with it either ignoring one or
                with an error.

                Zev