Re: Printing Charaacter Sheets

  • Chuck Pint
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l... wrote:
      > For compatibility, yes. :) Came down to using a space where the OS
      sheet had a comma or something. Chuck got some good help from Zaister
      and others on the list.

      > We haven't gone into using Java 5 enhancements because that will
      limit compatibility with Java 1.4.

      > Tir Gwaith
      > LST Chimp
      >
      > > Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?

      Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
      simple edits. Open
      outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line 9.
      You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in quotes.
      Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close that
      file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and go to
      line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print PDF just
      fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.

      Chuck
      OS Chimp
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
        > Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
        > simple edits. Open
        > outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line
        > 9. You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in
        > quotes. Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close
        > that file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and
        > go to line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print
        > PDF just fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.

        I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
        1.4.x?

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
      • Kenneth Skaar
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
          Yes,

          it was actually a "bug" in the xml. The comma's are not allowed there
          in the first place. Funny thing is that it didnt choke in java 1.4.x.
          However, looking at the code for the xslt parser pcgen uses(xalan), it
          did throw an exception. Its just that for some reason, under java 1.4.2,
          it must have gotten caught somewhere. This is still kind of a mystery to
          me:-)

          Kennet Skaar

          On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Paul W. King wrote:

          >> Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
          >> simple edits. Open
          >> outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line
          >> 9. You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in
          >> quotes. Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close
          >> that file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and
          >> go to line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print
          >> PDF just fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.
          >
          > I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
          > 1.4.x?
          >
          > Paul W. King
          > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

          > PCGen's FAQ:
          > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
            > I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
            > 1.4.x?

            Having tried the new sheets in both 1.4 and 1.5, I've found it works better
            in both. Seems faster in 1.4, and doesn't gag in 1.5.

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
          • Kenneth Skaar
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
              Well, finally figured why the problem didnt show up with java 1.4. Seems
              that java 1.4.2 ships with an older version of xalan(2.4.1), while java
              1.5 doesnt ship with any(so pcgen uses 2.5.2). The older version didnt
              really support the attribute in question, and silently ignored it, while
              the new version supports it and therefore choked when there was a
              syntax error om the attribute value.

              If you really want to use xalan 2.5.2 for pcgen,even with java 1.4.2, one
              option is to change the startupscripts to use
              -Xbootclasspath/p:lib/xalan-2.5.2.jar

              Im sure the OS monkeys would be happy to use a more recent XSLT
              processor:-)

              Kenneth SKaar