R: R: [pcgen] Printing Charaacter Sheets

  • TheForken
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
      Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?

      TheForken

      Code Lemur

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
        For compatibility, yes. :) Came down to using a space where the OS sheet had a comma or something. Chuck got some good help from Zaister and others on the list.

        We haven't gone into using Java 5 enhancements because that will limit compatibility with Java 1.4.

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp

        > Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?
      • Chuck Pint
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l... wrote:
          > For compatibility, yes. :) Came down to using a space where the OS
          sheet had a comma or something. Chuck got some good help from Zaister
          and others on the list.

          > We haven't gone into using Java 5 enhancements because that will
          limit compatibility with Java 1.4.

          > Tir Gwaith
          > LST Chimp
          >
          > > Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?

          Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
          simple edits. Open
          outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line 9.
          You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in quotes.
          Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close that
          file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and go to
          line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print PDF just
          fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.

          Chuck
          OS Chimp
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
            > Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
            > simple edits. Open
            > outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line
            > 9. You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in
            > quotes. Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close
            > that file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and
            > go to line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print
            > PDF just fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.

            I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
            1.4.x?

            Paul W. King
            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
          • Kenneth Skaar
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
              Yes,

              it was actually a "bug" in the xml. The comma's are not allowed there
              in the first place. Funny thing is that it didnt choke in java 1.4.x.
              However, looking at the code for the xslt parser pcgen uses(xalan), it
              did throw an exception. Its just that for some reason, under java 1.4.2,
              it must have gotten caught somewhere. This is still kind of a mystery to
              me:-)

              Kennet Skaar

              On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Paul W. King wrote:

              >> Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
              >> simple edits. Open
              >> outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line
              >> 9. You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in
              >> quotes. Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close
              >> that file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and
              >> go to line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print
              >> PDF just fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.
              >
              > I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
              > 1.4.x?
              >
              > Paul W. King
              > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

              > PCGen's FAQ:
              > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                > I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
                > 1.4.x?

                Having tried the new sheets in both 1.4 and 1.5, I've found it works better
                in both. Seems faster in 1.4, and doesn't gag in 1.5.

                Tir Gwaith
                LST Chimp
              • Kenneth Skaar
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                  Well, finally figured why the problem didnt show up with java 1.4. Seems
                  that java 1.4.2 ships with an older version of xalan(2.4.1), while java
                  1.5 doesnt ship with any(so pcgen uses 2.5.2). The older version didnt
                  really support the attribute in question, and silently ignored it, while
                  the new version supports it and therefore choked when there was a
                  syntax error om the attribute value.

                  If you really want to use xalan 2.5.2 for pcgen,even with java 1.4.2, one
                  option is to change the startupscripts to use
                  -Xbootclasspath/p:lib/xalan-2.5.2.jar

                  Im sure the OS monkeys would be happy to use a more recent XSLT
                  processor:-)

                  Kenneth SKaar