Re: R: [pcgen] Printing Charaacter Sheets

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
      In the next RC this looks to have been fixed too :)

      Cheers,
      James Dempsey
      PCGen Code Gibbon

      Quoting TheForken <theforken@...>:

      > It’s known that pcgen has a problem printing with java 5 (aka 1.5), so if
      > you want to print from pcgen you have to downgrade to java 1.4
      >

      > TheForken
      >

      > _____

    • TheForken
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
        Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?

        TheForken

        Code Lemur

        _____

        In the next RC this looks to have been fixed too :)

        Cheers,
        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code Gibbon

        Quoting TheForken <theforken@...>:

        > It’s known that pcgen has a problem printing with java 5 (aka 1.5), so if
        > you want to print from pcgen you have to downgrade to java 1.4
        >

        > TheForken
        >

        > _____

        PCGen's FAQ:
        http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129u9h68j/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1112341606/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
        etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

        :HM/A=2593423/rand=489750737>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
          For compatibility, yes. :) Came down to using a space where the OS sheet had a comma or something. Chuck got some good help from Zaister and others on the list.

          We haven't gone into using Java 5 enhancements because that will limit compatibility with Java 1.4.

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp

          > Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?
        • Chuck Pint
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l... wrote:
            > For compatibility, yes. :) Came down to using a space where the OS
            sheet had a comma or something. Chuck got some good help from Zaister
            and others on the list.

            > We haven't gone into using Java 5 enhancements because that will
            limit compatibility with Java 1.4.

            > Tir Gwaith
            > LST Chimp
            >
            > > Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?

            Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
            simple edits. Open
            outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line 9.
            You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in quotes.
            Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close that
            file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and go to
            line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print PDF just
            fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.

            Chuck
            OS Chimp
          • Paul W. King
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
              > Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
              > simple edits. Open
              > outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line
              > 9. You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in
              > quotes. Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close
              > that file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and
              > go to line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print
              > PDF just fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.

              I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
              1.4.x?

              Paul W. King
              TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
            • Kenneth Skaar
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                Yes,

                it was actually a "bug" in the xml. The comma's are not allowed there
                in the first place. Funny thing is that it didnt choke in java 1.4.x.
                However, looking at the code for the xslt parser pcgen uses(xalan), it
                did throw an exception. Its just that for some reason, under java 1.4.2,
                it must have gotten caught somewhere. This is still kind of a mystery to
                me:-)

                Kennet Skaar

                On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Paul W. King wrote:

                >> Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
                >> simple edits. Open
                >> outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line
                >> 9. You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in
                >> quotes. Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close
                >> that file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and
                >> go to line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print
                >> PDF just fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.
                >
                > I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
                > 1.4.x?
                >
                > Paul W. King
                > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

                > PCGen's FAQ:
                > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                  > I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
                  > 1.4.x?

                  Having tried the new sheets in both 1.4 and 1.5, I've found it works better
                  in both. Seems faster in 1.4, and doesn't gag in 1.5.

                  Tir Gwaith
                  LST Chimp
                • Kenneth Skaar
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                    Well, finally figured why the problem didnt show up with java 1.4. Seems
                    that java 1.4.2 ships with an older version of xalan(2.4.1), while java
                    1.5 doesnt ship with any(so pcgen uses 2.5.2). The older version didnt
                    really support the attribute in question, and silently ignored it, while
                    the new version supports it and therefore choked when there was a
                    syntax error om the attribute value.

                    If you really want to use xalan 2.5.2 for pcgen,even with java 1.4.2, one
                    option is to change the startupscripts to use
                    -Xbootclasspath/p:lib/xalan-2.5.2.jar

                    Im sure the OS monkeys would be happy to use a more recent XSLT
                    processor:-)

                    Kenneth SKaar