Printing Charaacter Sheets

  • c_goodsell
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
      I'm having problems printing out character sheets.
      I go to file and then to print.
      I then get the print pc or party window and select
      simple_blackandwhite.xslt.
      Then i run into problems.
      I get an erro saying "Java.lang.NullPointerException: Null"
      Then the print pc or party window goes away and nothgin happens.
      Can anyone give me any advice
      I tried updating to Java 1.5.02 like suggest but with no results.
    • TheForken
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
        It’s known that pcgen has a problem printing with java 5 (aka 1.5), so if
        you want to print from pcgen you have to downgrade to java 1.4

        TheForken

        _____

        I'm having problems printing out character sheets.
        I go to file and then to print.
        I then get the print pc or party window and select
        simple_blackandwhite.xslt.
        Then i run into problems.
        I get an erro saying "Java.lang.NullPointerException: Null"
        Then the print pc or party window goes away and nothgin happens.
        Can anyone give me any advice
        I tried updating to Java 1.5.02 like suggest but with no results.

        PCGen's FAQ:
        http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1292f6dvp/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1112329127/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
        etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

        :HM/A=2593423/rand=938788085>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2005
          In the next RC this looks to have been fixed too :)

          Cheers,
          James Dempsey
          PCGen Code Gibbon

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
            Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?

            TheForken

            Code Lemur

            _____

            In the next RC this looks to have been fixed too :)

            Cheers,
            James Dempsey
            PCGen Code Gibbon

            Quoting TheForken <theforken@...>:

            > It’s known that pcgen has a problem printing with java 5 (aka 1.5), so if
            > you want to print from pcgen you have to downgrade to java 1.4
            >

            > TheForken
            >

            > _____

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129u9h68j/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1112341606/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
            etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

            :HM/A=2593423/rand=489750737>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
              For compatibility, yes. :) Came down to using a space where the OS sheet had a comma or something. Chuck got some good help from Zaister and others on the list.

              We haven't gone into using Java 5 enhancements because that will limit compatibility with Java 1.4.

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp

              > Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?
            • Chuck Pint
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l... wrote:
                > For compatibility, yes. :) Came down to using a space where the OS
                sheet had a comma or something. Chuck got some good help from Zaister
                and others on the list.

                > We haven't gone into using Java 5 enhancements because that will
                limit compatibility with Java 1.4.

                > Tir Gwaith
                > LST Chimp
                >
                > > Great, is this really the only issue with java 5?

                Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
                simple edits. Open
                outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line 9.
                You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in quotes.
                Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close that
                file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and go to
                line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print PDF just
                fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.

                Chuck
                OS Chimp
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                  > Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
                  > simple edits. Open
                  > outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line
                  > 9. You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in
                  > quotes. Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close
                  > that file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and
                  > go to line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print
                  > PDF just fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.

                  I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
                  1.4.x?

                  Paul W. King
                  TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
                • Kenneth Skaar
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                    Yes,

                    it was actually a "bug" in the xml. The comma's are not allowed there
                    in the first place. Funny thing is that it didnt choke in java 1.4.x.
                    However, looking at the code for the xslt parser pcgen uses(xalan), it
                    did throw an exception. Its just that for some reason, under java 1.4.2,
                    it must have gotten caught somewhere. This is still kind of a mystery to
                    me:-)

                    Kennet Skaar

                    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Paul W. King wrote:

                    >> Until the next RC comes out, you can fix this your self with two
                    >> simple edits. Open
                    >> outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/fantasy_master_std.xslt and go to line
                    >> 9. You'll see exclude-result-prefixes followed by something in
                    >> quotes. Change the comma inside the quotes to a space. Save and close
                    >> that file. Then open outputsheets/d20/fantasy/pdf/leadership.xsl and
                    >> go to line 10 and do the same edit. Now you should be able to print
                    >> PDF just fine with Java 1.5. Let me know if that is not the case.
                    >
                    > I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
                    > 1.4.x?
                    >
                    > Paul W. King
                    > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

                    > PCGen's FAQ:
                    > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Tir Gwaith
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                      > I can't recall if this has been asked/answered: Will this work in java
                      > 1.4.x?

                      Having tried the new sheets in both 1.4 and 1.5, I've found it works better
                      in both. Seems faster in 1.4, and doesn't gag in 1.5.

                      Tir Gwaith
                      LST Chimp
                    • Kenneth Skaar
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 31, 2005
                        Well, finally figured why the problem didnt show up with java 1.4. Seems
                        that java 1.4.2 ships with an older version of xalan(2.4.1), while java
                        1.5 doesnt ship with any(so pcgen uses 2.5.2). The older version didnt
                        really support the attribute in question, and silently ignored it, while
                        the new version supports it and therefore choked when there was a
                        syntax error om the attribute value.

                        If you really want to use xalan 2.5.2 for pcgen,even with java 1.4.2, one
                        option is to change the startupscripts to use
                        -Xbootclasspath/p:lib/xalan-2.5.2.jar

                        Im sure the OS monkeys would be happy to use a more recent XSLT
                        processor:-)

                        Kenneth SKaar