RE: [pcgen] CMP's Non-d20, non-OGL game set?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
      > If someone knew what it was, Im sure they wouldnÂ’t be able to tell
      > until the official release was made.

      Got it in one Jonathan! :)

      Barak
    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
        > I'm guessing it's going to be GURPS. Any other guesses?

        How 'bout Zork? :D
      • Jonathan M. Thompson
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
          It could be Open Core? :-D

          Jonathan M. Thompson
          President, Battlefield Press, Inc. (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
          jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
          Eric Flint's 1632 Resource Guide and Role Playing Game & Open Core
          System - Available now. Big Bang Universe Resource Guide and Role
          Playing Game coming Summer 2005.

          > I'm guessing it's going to be GURPS. Any other guesses?

          How 'bout Zork? :D

          PCGen's FAQ:
          http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          It has removed 1326 spam emails to date.
          Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

        • John Rudd
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
            I wouldn't be surprised if it was FUDGE, but then you have to pick
            which version of Fudge (probably 5 point, but it could also be FATE).
            But going along the lines of Fudge, one of its biggest off-shoots has
            been "Gatecrasher", which is now being re-done using the HARP game
            system.

            HARP's publisher, ICE, announced a character creator deal with a
            company called "rollplayingsoftware" last year ... but it's still not
            out (current release date is actually this friday). And I don't know
            if it's an exclusive license or not.

            That kind of deal, for CMP, could also lead to more business through
            the Rolemaster and Spacemaster game lines.

            If I was CMP, I think I would have pursued some forms of Fudge
            capability (because it's really a kind of easy to get to "low hanging
            fruit"), starting with 5pt Fudge, then whatever form of Fudge is being
            used in the upcoming Dyrini Adventures game, maybe whatever form of
            Fudge is used in the Terra Incognito RPG, and then followed that to
            things like FATE and HARP*.

            (* I'm not saying HARP is Fudge-like ... it's really not, but it is a
            trail you find if you follow various Fudge off-shoots ... and HARP does
            have some very broad things in common with both FUDGE and d20; in that
            regard, HARP and FUDGE have MUCH more in common with d20 than, say,
            GURPS does)
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 31, 2005
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
              > > If someone knew what it was, Im sure they wouldn't be able to tell
              > > until the official release was made.
              >
              > Got it in one Jonathan! :)
              >
              > Barak

              Yea Barak, but it's allways fun to speculate and create wild theories.
              Especially like the ones that CMP is taking the world over in 1.35
              years, Hah, that's one is good.

              <looks to Master Mynex to make sure he's thrown the trail off enough>

              But seriously, Shadowrun is making some MAJOR changes with their 4th
              edition, and it looks like it might be way more compatible with PCGen's
              code than currently. Maybe' it's Shadowrun 4th edition? :)

              Paul G.
            • Aaron Sherman
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:05, Paul wrote:

                > it's allways fun to speculate and create wild theories.
                > Especially like the ones that CMP is taking the world over in 1.35
                > years, Hah, that's one is good.

                Cutting and pasting from today's Reuters newswire feed:

                NEW YORK April 1, 2005 - Today several ambassadors to the UN from
                smaller nations announced that the next major release cycle out of
                little-known software and role playing game rules publisher, Code Monkey
                Publishing (CMP) would include data files for the PCGen and Etools
                products representing these countries' new constitutions. From that
                point on, all legal matters in these countries will be decided by
                "rolling up a character" that represents each of the parties involved
                and acting out a free-for-all combat using strangely shaped dice to
                resolve the dispute.

                It was also noted that military research in these nations will be
                converted over to data-file customization as building weapons of mass
                destruction is quite a bit less expensive when you just have to add a
                few characters to a file. Noted Burma's representitive, "and the best
                part is that the United States is much less likely to invade us for
                shipping out data files... as long as we don't include any copyrighted
                music in them."

                > But seriously, Shadowrun is making some MAJOR changes with their 4th
                > edition, and it looks like it might be way more compatible with PCGen's
                > code than currently. Maybe' it's Shadowrun 4th edition? :)

                No sense of adventure ;-)

                --
                Aaron Sherman <ajs@...>
                Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Sherman <ajs@a...> wrote:
                  > On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:05, Paul wrote:
                  >
                  > > it's allways fun to speculate and create wild theories.
                  > > Especially like the ones that CMP is taking the world over in 1.35
                  > > years, Hah, that's one is good.
                  >
                  > Cutting and pasting from today's Reuters newswire feed:
                  >
                  > snip lots o words<

                  And people thought I couldn't pull off Total World Domination in under
                  5 years!

                  I SCOFF AT YOU ALL!!!

                  Scoff, scoff!

                  *grin*