CMP's Non-d20, non-OGL game set?

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
      Hmmm, this sounds interesting, I just noticed this in CMP's Friday
      update.

      www.codemonkeypublishing.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=93
      94

      <quote>
      3. PCGen 5.8.0 - Shortly after the Final Release of PCGen 5.8.0 CMP will
      be releasing the first non-D20, non-OGL game system for PCGen! We can't
      say just what game it is yet, or who the publisher is, but it's nearing
      it's final completion stages now and Mynex will be teasing more in the
      next couple of weeks.
      </quote>

      I'm guessing it's going to be GURPS. Any other guesses?

      Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
      PCGen BoD OGL Silverback & LST Lemur-in-training
      ICQ: 14397299
      AO: Nylan
      CoH:Nylan Neblett
      Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

      "I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks"
    • Jonathan M. Thompson
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
        If someone knew what it was, Im sure they wouldn’t be able to tell until
        the official release was made.

        Jonathan M. Thompson
        President, Battlefield Press, Inc. (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
        jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
        Eric Flint's 1632 Resource Guide and Role Playing Game & Open Core
        System - Available now. Big Bang Universe Resource Guide and Role
        Playing Game coming Summer 2005.

[...]

        PCGen's FAQ:
        http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        It has removed 1325 spam emails to date.
        Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

      • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
          > I'm guessing it's going to be GURPS. Any other guesses?

          What, Mynex deal with Steve Jackson??

          Don't think so. A lot of headache to do it for profit with him. Easier if you aren't for-profit.

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp
        • Chip Dunning
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
            I am not buying that it might be GURPs. SJ already has a good character
            generator through a custom version of MetaCreator.

            HERO already has their own as well.

            I don't expect CP2020/Mekton/Interlok either as Mike always seems to be
            a *very* busy man and after meeting him at several conventions I get the
            feeling he would like to have some really strong hands-on with any
            "officially stamped" product.

            Likewise with C&S (my prime fantasy system). I actually got the authors
            to give me written permission (I imagine the PCGen people might still
            have that release on file) to spin a C&S chargen within the PCGen
            family, but I found PCGen to be such a moving target that it wasn't
            worth the effort - I stuck with MetaCreator.

            My personal guess (based on nothing more than my WAG) is that it will
            probably be one of the smaller publishers. Someone with everything to
            gain and nothing to lose in the deal. Probably something like Action!,
            Fudge, CORPs, or the myriad of other interesting, but small press
            publishers. I would love to see one of the Harn rulesets, but that is
            just my personal enjoyment of their gameworld showing.

            Chip

            Paul Grosse wrote:
            > Hmmm, this sounds interesting, I just noticed this in CMP's Friday
            > update.
            >
            > www.codemonkeypublishing.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=93
            > 94
            >
            > <quote>
            > 3. PCGen 5.8.0 - Shortly after the Final Release of PCGen 5.8.0 CMP will
            > be releasing the first non-D20, non-OGL game system for PCGen! We can't
            > say just what game it is yet, or who the publisher is, but it's nearing
            > it's final completion stages now and Mynex will be teasing more in the
            > next couple of weeks.
            > </quote>
            >
            > I'm guessing it's going to be GURPS. Any other guesses?
            >
            > Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
            > PCGen BoD OGL Silverback & LST Lemur-in-training
            > ICQ: 14397299
            > AO: Nylan
            > CoH:Nylan Neblett
            > Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)
            >
            > "I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks"

            > PCGen's FAQ:
            > http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • david allan finch
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
              Paul Grosse wrote:
              > I'm guessing it's going to be GURPS. Any other guesses?

              What about WFRP2 that is just released?

              Regards
              Dave

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
                > If someone knew what it was, Im sure they wouldn’t be able to tell
                > until the official release was made.

                Got it in one Jonathan! :)

                Barak
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
                  > I'm guessing it's going to be GURPS. Any other guesses?

                  How 'bout Zork? :D
                • Jonathan M. Thompson

                    > I'm guessing it's going to be GURPS. Any other guesses?

                    How 'bout Zork? :D

                    PCGen's FAQ:
                    http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    It has removed 1326 spam emails to date.
                    Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

                  • John Rudd
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 30, 2005
                      I wouldn't be surprised if it was FUDGE, but then you have to pick
                      which version of Fudge (probably 5 point, but it could also be FATE).
                      But going along the lines of Fudge, one of its biggest off-shoots has
                      been "Gatecrasher", which is now being re-done using the HARP game
                      system.

                      HARP's publisher, ICE, announced a character creator deal with a
                      company called "rollplayingsoftware" last year ... but it's still not
                      out (current release date is actually this friday). And I don't know
                      if it's an exclusive license or not.

                      That kind of deal, for CMP, could also lead to more business through
                      the Rolemaster and Spacemaster game lines.

                      If I was CMP, I think I would have pursued some forms of Fudge
                      capability (because it's really a kind of easy to get to "low hanging
                      fruit"), starting with 5pt Fudge, then whatever form of Fudge is being
                      used in the upcoming Dyrini Adventures game, maybe whatever form of
                      Fudge is used in the Terra Incognito RPG, and then followed that to
                      things like FATE and HARP*.

                      (* I'm not saying HARP is Fudge-like ... it's really not, but it is a
                      trail you find if you follow various Fudge off-shoots ... and HARP does
                      have some very broad things in common with both FUDGE and d20; in that
                      regard, HARP and FUDGE have MUCH more in common with d20 than, say,
                      GURPS does)
                    • Paul
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 31, 2005
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                        > > If someone knew what it was, Im sure they wouldn't be able to tell
                        > > until the official release was made.
                        >
                        > Got it in one Jonathan! :)
                        >
                        > Barak

                        Yea Barak, but it's allways fun to speculate and create wild theories.
                        Especially like the ones that CMP is taking the world over in 1.35
                        years, Hah, that's one is good.

                        <looks to Master Mynex to make sure he's thrown the trail off enough>

                        But seriously, Shadowrun is making some MAJOR changes with their 4th
                        edition, and it looks like it might be way more compatible with PCGen's
                        code than currently. Maybe' it's Shadowrun 4th edition? :)

                        Paul G.
                      • Aaron Sherman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                          On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:05, Paul wrote:

                          > it's allways fun to speculate and create wild theories.
                          > Especially like the ones that CMP is taking the world over in 1.35
                          > years, Hah, that's one is good.

                          Cutting and pasting from today's Reuters newswire feed:

                          NEW YORK April 1, 2005 - Today several ambassadors to the UN from
                          smaller nations announced that the next major release cycle out of
                          little-known software and role playing game rules publisher, Code Monkey
                          Publishing (CMP) would include data files for the PCGen and Etools
                          products representing these countries' new constitutions. From that
                          point on, all legal matters in these countries will be decided by
                          "rolling up a character" that represents each of the parties involved
                          and acting out a free-for-all combat using strangely shaped dice to
                          resolve the dispute.

                          It was also noted that military research in these nations will be
                          converted over to data-file customization as building weapons of mass
                          destruction is quite a bit less expensive when you just have to add a
                          few characters to a file. Noted Burma's representitive, "and the best
                          part is that the United States is much less likely to invade us for
                          shipping out data files... as long as we don't include any copyrighted
                          music in them."

                          > But seriously, Shadowrun is making some MAJOR changes with their 4th
                          > edition, and it looks like it might be way more compatible with PCGen's
                          > code than currently. Maybe' it's Shadowrun 4th edition? :)

                          No sense of adventure ;-)

                          --
                          Aaron Sherman <ajs@...>
                          Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Sherman <ajs@a...> wrote:
                            > On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 23:05, Paul wrote:
                            >
                            > > it's allways fun to speculate and create wild theories.
                            > > Especially like the ones that CMP is taking the world over in 1.35
                            > > years, Hah, that's one is good.
                            >
                            > Cutting and pasting from today's Reuters newswire feed:
                            >
                            > snip lots o words<

                            And people thought I couldn't pull off Total World Domination in under
                            5 years!

                            I SCOFF AT YOU ALL!!!

                            Scoff, scoff!

                            *grin*