RE: [pcgen] Powerful Build Feat

  • Jonathan M. Thompson
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
      Isn't there something similar to that in the Swashbucklers book from
      AEG?

      Jonathan M. Thompson
      President, Battlefield Press, Inc. (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
      jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
      Eric Flint's 1632 Resource Guide and Role Playing Game & Open Core
      System - Available now. Big Bang Universe Resource Guide and Role
      Playing Game coming Summer 2005.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
        Closed content, unless you know of an OGC source that has it... RoS is not
        an OGL product.

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp

        > Hello everybody, I'd like to add a feat to the feats (or templates)
        > available in PCGen.
        >
        > This ability makes medium characters work like large, so that they
        > have all benefits of large creatures, but none of the hindrances.
        >
        > Thanks
      • Paul W. King
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
          > Closed content, unless you know of an OGC source that has it...
          > RoS is not an OGL product.

          Its a racial ability of the half-giants.

          PsionicRaces.rtf
          "Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them
          function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.
          Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size
          modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull
          rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one
          size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
          A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when
          determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such
          as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can
          use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty.
          However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual
          size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of
          powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size
          category."

          Paul W. King
          TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
        • Brass Tilde
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
            > > Hello everybody, I'd like to add a feat to the feats (or templates)
            > > available in PCGen.
            > >
            > > This ability makes medium characters work like large, so that they
            > > have all benefits of large creatures, but none of the hindrances.

            > Closed content, unless you know of an OGC source that has it... RoS is
            not
            > an OGL product.

            And you know that because...?

            Aside from posting in the main pcgen list, rather than the list help group,
            and perhaps being too vague by not precisely describing the actual numeric
            effects of what he wants to do, he followed all the rules heretofore set
            forth for asking about adding things to PCGen. The original poster didn't
            ask about a feat from RoS, nor did he refer to any non-OGC works at all
            (*you* did that). He specified what he wanted to do in generic terms, using
            no names from any OGC source. At least not that I can see.

            The fact that someone *else* noticed a familiarity to a non-OCG work
            wouldn't seem to be a bar to answering the original poster's question.
          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
              > > Closed content, unless you know of an OGC source that has it...
              > > RoS is not an OGL product.
              >
              > Its a racial ability of the half-giants.

              Ok, I stand corrected. I don't mess with Psionics. :p

              So, a Data and Code Freq (expansion on BONUS:TOHIT for the weapon penalty
              removal stuff is already been brought up at _experimtal) I'm not sure if
              the BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY bug has been fixed or not.

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp
            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                I know it because Races of Stone isn't OGL.

                Brass, please notice that he wasn't asking for how to do it in LST, he was
                asking for making it available in PCGen, like a standard option. Unless it
                is OGC, we can't include that sort of thing.

                As Paul has pointed out, there is an OGC source for that, in RSRD Psionics,
                which I wasn't aware of.

                Tir Gwaith
                LST Chimp
              • Brass Tilde
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                  And the words "Powerful Build" aren't immediately recognizable as someone's
                  product identity, given it's generic nature. It's a general expression in
                  English, not immediately associated with a game product, unlike something
                  like "Craft Wondrous Item".

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                    > I know it because Races of Stone isn't OGL.

                    But he didn't reference Races of Stone, you did.

                    > Brass, please notice that he wasn't asking for how to do it in LST, he was
                    > asking for making it available in PCGen, like a standard option. Unless
                    it
                    > is OGC, we can't include that sort of thing.

                    He said "*I'd* like to add a feat...available in PCGen" (emphasis mine).
                    Enough other posters have used phrasing similar or identical to that, that
                    an assumption that he wanted it added to the official distribution is
                    unwarranted.

                    I'll freely admit that it is possible that's exactly what he intended, but I
                    think the automatic assumption of such is not indicated.
                  • Brass Tilde
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                      OK, looking back at those posts, my tone and attitude were out of line. My
                      apologies for that, and I'll drop it now.
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                        On 3/3/05 9:10 AM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

                        > So, a Data and Code Freq (expansion on BONUS:TOHIT for the weapon penalty
                        > removal stuff is already been brought up at _experimtal) I'm not sure if
                        > the BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY bug has been fixed or not.

                        That one was just recently closed, I think the main problem was with how
                        PCGen was allowing some items to be equipped, i.e. It was letting some
                        things be equiped with any option (like one handed) instead of just two
                        handed if that was what was called for.

                        The bonus is needed because BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY will allow the weapon to be
                        equipped correctly but it does not remove the size penalty. No one has yet
                        commented on my suggested syntax:

                        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SIZE.Large|2|TYPE=Racial
                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                          > The bonus is needed because BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY will allow the weapon to
                          be
                          > equipped correctly but it does not remove the size penalty. No one has yet
                          > commented on my suggested syntax:
                          >
                          > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SIZE.Large|2|TYPE=Racial

                          Yeah, I read it. Haven't commented because I've been busy preping for the
                          new campaign that is starting tonight (our DF one ended recently.)

                          Not sure I like it off-hand, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and
                          think about it deeply, and go through the different permutations, etc.

                          Tir Gwaith
                          LST Chimp
                        • Eddy Anthony
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                            On 3/3/05 10:14 AM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

                            > Not sure I like it off-hand, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and
                            > think about it deeply, and go through the different permutations, etc.

                            I'm still not sure we don't have a bonus that covers this under
                            BONUS:WEAPONPROF. The docs say:

                            BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Longsword|PCSIZE|1
                            Allows a small character to use a longsword as if he were medium sized.

                            I've tested this with the half giant and it does allow him to use a large
                            Longsword without penalty, however when I changed it to:

                            BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Martial|PCSIZE|1

                            Which should do the same thing but to all martial weapons it failed. Weird
                            because BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Martial|TOHIT|1 works just fine.

                            I'm going to report it as a code bug, if it can be made to work we can use 3
                            bonuses (one for each prof type) and put this puppy to bed.
                            --
                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                            ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                              > I'm going to report it as a code bug, if it can be made to work we can use
                              3
                              > bonuses (one for each prof type) and put this puppy to bed.

                              I like that solution. :)

                              Tir Gwaith
                              LST Chimp
                            • Eddy Anthony
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 3, 2005
                                Bug trackered:
                                [ 1155978 ] BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.<prof type>|PCSIZE|x not working
                                <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1155978&group_id=
                                25576&atid=384719>