Powerful Build Feat

  • stefanovallini2000
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3 4:26 AM
      Hello everybody, I'd like to add a feat to the feats (or templates)
      available in PCGen.

      This ability makes medium characters work like large, so that they
      have all benefits of large creatures, but none of the hindrances.

      Thanks
    • Jonathan M. Thompson
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 3 4:45 AM
        Isn't there something similar to that in the Swashbucklers book from
        AEG?

        Jonathan M. Thompson
        President, Battlefield Press, Inc. (http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
        jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
        Eric Flint's 1632 Resource Guide and Role Playing Game & Open Core
        System - Available now. Big Bang Universe Resource Guide and Role
        Playing Game coming Summer 2005.

        Hello everybody, I'd like to add a feat to the feats (or templates)
        available in PCGen.

        This ability makes medium characters work like large, so that they
        have all benefits of large creatures, but none of the hindrances.

        Thanks

        PCGen's FAQ:
        http://www.evilsoft.org/pcgen/docs/
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3 5:28 AM
          Closed content, unless you know of an OGC source that has it... RoS is not
          an OGL product.

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp

          > Hello everybody, I'd like to add a feat to the feats (or templates)
          > available in PCGen.
          >
          > This ability makes medium characters work like large, so that they
          > have all benefits of large creatures, but none of the hindrances.
          >
          > Thanks
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3 5:33 AM
            > Closed content, unless you know of an OGC source that has it...
            > RoS is not an OGL product.

            Its a racial ability of the half-giants.

            PsionicRaces.rtf
            "Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them
            function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.
            Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size
            modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull
            rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one
            size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
            A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when
            determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such
            as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can
            use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty.
            However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual
            size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of
            powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size
            category."

            Paul W. King
            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
          • Brass Tilde
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 3 5:50 AM
              > > Hello everybody, I'd like to add a feat to the feats (or templates)
              > > available in PCGen.
              > >
              > > This ability makes medium characters work like large, so that they
              > > have all benefits of large creatures, but none of the hindrances.

              > Closed content, unless you know of an OGC source that has it... RoS is
              not
              > an OGL product.

              And you know that because...?

              Aside from posting in the main pcgen list, rather than the list help group,
              and perhaps being too vague by not precisely describing the actual numeric
              effects of what he wants to do, he followed all the rules heretofore set
              forth for asking about adding things to PCGen. The original poster didn't
              ask about a feat from RoS, nor did he refer to any non-OGC works at all
              (*you* did that). He specified what he wanted to do in generic terms, using
              no names from any OGC source. At least not that I can see.

              The fact that someone *else* noticed a familiarity to a non-OCG work
              wouldn't seem to be a bar to answering the original poster's question.
            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3 6:10 AM
                > > Closed content, unless you know of an OGC source that has it...
                > > RoS is not an OGL product.
                >
                > Its a racial ability of the half-giants.

                Ok, I stand corrected. I don't mess with Psionics. :p

                So, a Data and Code Freq (expansion on BONUS:TOHIT for the weapon penalty
                removal stuff is already been brought up at _experimtal) I'm not sure if
                the BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY bug has been fixed or not.

                Tir Gwaith
                LST Chimp
              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3 6:13 AM
                  I know it because Races of Stone isn't OGL.

                  Brass, please notice that he wasn't asking for how to do it in LST, he was
                  asking for making it available in PCGen, like a standard option. Unless it
                  is OGC, we can't include that sort of thing.

                  As Paul has pointed out, there is an OGC source for that, in RSRD Psionics,
                  which I wasn't aware of.

                  Tir Gwaith
                  LST Chimp
                • Brass Tilde
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 3 6:18 AM
                    And the words "Powerful Build" aren't immediately recognizable as someone's
                    product identity, given it's generic nature. It's a general expression in
                    English, not immediately associated with a game product, unlike something
                    like "Craft Wondrous Item".

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 3 6:23 AM
                      > I know it because Races of Stone isn't OGL.

                      But he didn't reference Races of Stone, you did.

                      > Brass, please notice that he wasn't asking for how to do it in LST, he was
                      > asking for making it available in PCGen, like a standard option. Unless
                      it
                      > is OGC, we can't include that sort of thing.

                      He said "*I'd* like to add a feat...available in PCGen" (emphasis mine).
                      Enough other posters have used phrasing similar or identical to that, that
                      an assumption that he wanted it added to the official distribution is
                      unwarranted.

                      I'll freely admit that it is possible that's exactly what he intended, but I
                      think the automatic assumption of such is not indicated.
                    • Brass Tilde
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 3 6:29 AM
                        OK, looking back at those posts, my tone and attitude were out of line. My
                        apologies for that, and I'll drop it now.
                      • Eddy Anthony
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 3 6:31 AM
                          On 3/3/05 9:10 AM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

                          > So, a Data and Code Freq (expansion on BONUS:TOHIT for the weapon penalty
                          > removal stuff is already been brought up at _experimtal) I'm not sure if
                          > the BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY bug has been fixed or not.

                          That one was just recently closed, I think the main problem was with how
                          PCGen was allowing some items to be equipped, i.e. It was letting some
                          things be equiped with any option (like one handed) instead of just two
                          handed if that was what was called for.

                          The bonus is needed because BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY will allow the weapon to be
                          equipped correctly but it does not remove the size penalty. No one has yet
                          commented on my suggested syntax:

                          BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SIZE.Large|2|TYPE=Racial
                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 3 7:14 AM
                            > The bonus is needed because BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY will allow the weapon to
                            be
                            > equipped correctly but it does not remove the size penalty. No one has yet
                            > commented on my suggested syntax:
                            >
                            > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SIZE.Large|2|TYPE=Racial

                            Yeah, I read it. Haven't commented because I've been busy preping for the
                            new campaign that is starting tonight (our DF one ended recently.)

                            Not sure I like it off-hand, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and
                            think about it deeply, and go through the different permutations, etc.

                            Tir Gwaith
                            LST Chimp
                          • Eddy Anthony
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 3 7:47 AM
                              On 3/3/05 10:14 AM, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

                              > Not sure I like it off-hand, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and
                              > think about it deeply, and go through the different permutations, etc.

                              I'm still not sure we don't have a bonus that covers this under
                              BONUS:WEAPONPROF. The docs say:

                              BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Longsword|PCSIZE|1
                              Allows a small character to use a longsword as if he were medium sized.

                              I've tested this with the half giant and it does allow him to use a large
                              Longsword without penalty, however when I changed it to:

                              BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Martial|PCSIZE|1

                              Which should do the same thing but to all martial weapons it failed. Weird
                              because BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.Martial|TOHIT|1 works just fine.

                              I'm going to report it as a code bug, if it can be made to work we can use 3
                              bonuses (one for each prof type) and put this puppy to bed.
                              --
                              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                              ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 3 8:21 AM
                                > I'm going to report it as a code bug, if it can be made to work we can use
                                3
                                > bonuses (one for each prof type) and put this puppy to bed.

                                I like that solution. :)

                                Tir Gwaith
                                LST Chimp
                              • Eddy Anthony
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 3 8:29 AM
                                  Bug trackered:
                                  [ 1155978 ] BONUS:WEAPONPROF=TYPE.<prof type>|PCSIZE|x not working
                                  <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1155978&group_id=
                                  25576&atid=384719>