RE: [pcgen] Re: Bug? Skill points and levels

  • David
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 2, 2005
      PCGen 5.6.1, DnD 3.5E

      Int 16, rest 10. Add 1 Rogue level, then 2 Wizard levels.

      Go to the skills tab, and it shows 44 skill points for Rogue 1.

      PCGen does *not* enforce that you are only allowed to allocate 4 of those skill points to each skill whilst distributing the Rogue 1
      skill points, so you could put 6 ranks into "disable device" and the cost would be 6 Rogue skill points.

      Now, programmatically enforcing the restriction whilst allowing doing all the level ups at once would be a nightmare, so I would
      agree with a "preference" to disallow leveling up unless all feats, skills, etc. were selected first. I would also *not* make it the
      default, but ask the first time someone levels with skills, feats not finished, and then let it be.

      -- david

      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Calion@m... wrote:
      > >
      > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but (in 5.6.1) I added one Rogue level,
      > then one Wizard level.
      > > Should PCGen have allowed me to put 6 ranks in one skill using my
      > Rogue skill points?
      > > That's cheating, isn't it?
      >
      > I don't know if he ever stated he is using 3.5 rules, but the 3.5
      > rules allow you, as others have stated, to have a max skill rank for
      > any class skill as character level + 3.
      > 1st level Rogue: (rog 1) + 3 = 4 max class skill ranks
      > 2nd level Wizard: (rog 1 + wiz 1) + 3 = 5 max class skill
      > ranks 3rd level Wizard: (rog 1 + wiz 2) + 3 = 6 max class skill ranks
      >
      > So, if you add all of your levels first in pcgen, then allocate skill
      > points, you SHOULD be able to add up to 6 ranks into any rogue class
      > skill, BUT, the first 4 ranks would only cost 4 skill points,
      > the next
      > 2 ranks would cost 4 skill points as the points would be added as a
      > cross-class skill.
      >
      > What pcgen would need to do (and I haven't verified if it
      > does this or
      > doesn't) is to take into account the max level of the class that the
      > class skill is being added.
      >
      > The original poster isn't very clear as to what his problem actually
      > is. Having him state that the program lets him add 6 ranks to a rogue
      > skill with a total character level of 3 is not a bug. What he
      > needs to
      > verify is how many skill points it cost him to get those 6 ranks.
      >
      > It should cost him 8 skill points as a rog/wiz/wiz character to get 6
      > ranks in a rogue only class skill.
      >
      > Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 2, 2005
        On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:25:23PM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
        > The problem is that max ranks is set based on ALL of your classes Class skills
        > combined with your total level. So it is Level specific, not class specific.
        > This means that if you took a level of ranger at 4 or a level of ranger at 7,
        > your max ranks for the Ranger skills would be different.

        This is not a problem, The skills are currently allocated level by
        level. As you allocate skills, each level knows what class it's for.
        The program also knows what classes you've taken at all the levels below
        this, so you should be able to set a maximum value for each skill at
        each level. All you need to do then is cap it at the maximum for this
        skill at this level, given the classes the character already has.

        All you really need to check is, what what character level is this, do
        any of the classes I already have have this skill on their class list?
        is so then max level for the skill at this level is This level + 3. If
        it's not on any of my classes skill list, then it's (this level + 3)/2.

        It think (I may be wrong) that it's impossible to generate illegal
        characters with that check in place.

        andrew
        --
        Virgo: (Aug. 23 - Sept. 22)
        It's nice that you're reading to the elderly, but people are