Re: [pcgen] Re: Bug? Skill points and levels

  • Reed Thornton
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 2, 2005
      On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:49:02 -0500, Brass Tilde <brasstilde@...> wrote:
      > In this case, I'd disagree. As it stands now, it's pretty easy for a DM or
      > player to recreate an existing higher level character from an existing
      > character sheet. Having the strict rule as the default would mean that new
      > players and DMs would have to remember to (and know they must in the first
      > place) unset that option before trying to enter their existing character.
      >
      > On the other hand, when a character is created at level one, and raised
      > level by level as the player's game progresses, it won't be an issue because
      > the skills and feats added level by level will automatically conform to the
      > rules.
      >
      > Where it *does* cause a problem is where the player or GM is creating a new
      > higher level character. In that case, having the option to force all
      > selections before advancing would be a good thing.
      >
      > So, having an option to enforce feat, skill, etc, choices, but *not* making
      > it the default, makes one common use case of PCGen easy, doesn't affect a
      > second common use case and still allows the proper use of a third, less
      > common (in my experience) use case.
      >

      > Brass

      On the other hand, it would make removing levels *much* easier (drain, etc.)

      Reed
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 2, 2005
        On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:25:23PM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
        > The problem is that max ranks is set based on ALL of your classes Class skills
        > combined with your total level. So it is Level specific, not class specific.
        > This means that if you took a level of ranger at 4 or a level of ranger at 7,
        > your max ranks for the Ranger skills would be different.

        This is not a problem, The skills are currently allocated level by
        level. As you allocate skills, each level knows what class it's for.
        The program also knows what classes you've taken at all the levels below
        this, so you should be able to set a maximum value for each skill at
        each level. All you need to do then is cap it at the maximum for this
        skill at this level, given the classes the character already has.

        All you really need to check is, what what character level is this, do
        any of the classes I already have have this skill on their class list?
        is so then max level for the skill at this level is This level + 3. If
        it's not on any of my classes skill list, then it's (this level + 3)/2.

        It think (I may be wrong) that it's impossible to generate illegal
        characters with that check in place.

        andrew
        --
        Virgo: (Aug. 23 - Sept. 22)
        It's nice that you're reading to the elderly, but people are