Re: [pcgen] Re: Bug? Skill points and levels

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 2, 2005
      > > > So then, you're feature request (new functionality) for PCGen is that
      > > > you can't add another level to a character unless you've chosen all
      > > > skills and feats associated with the current level?

      > > I remember that the list discussed this not that long ago. Personally I
      > > think that there should be an option to force this because you can
      > > create invalid characters. May be the default could be by pass the test.

      > In my opinion, an option should not default to something that can/could
      > break cannon.

      In this case, I'd disagree. As it stands now, it's pretty easy for a DM or
      player to recreate an existing higher level character from an existing
      character sheet. Having the strict rule as the default would mean that new
      players and DMs would have to remember to (and know they must in the first
      place) unset that option before trying to enter their existing character.

      On the other hand, when a character is created at level one, and raised
      level by level as the player's game progresses, it won't be an issue because
      the skills and feats added level by level will automatically conform to the
      rules.

      Where it *does* cause a problem is where the player or GM is creating a new
      higher level character. In that case, having the option to force all
      selections before advancing would be a good thing.

      So, having an option to enforce feat, skill, etc, choices, but *not* making
      it the default, makes one common use case of PCGen easy, doesn't affect a
      second common use case and still allows the proper use of a third, less
      common (in my experience) use case.

      Brass
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 2, 2005
        On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:25:23PM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
        > The problem is that max ranks is set based on ALL of your classes Class skills
        > combined with your total level. So it is Level specific, not class specific.
        > This means that if you took a level of ranger at 4 or a level of ranger at 7,
        > your max ranks for the Ranger skills would be different.

        This is not a problem, The skills are currently allocated level by
        level. As you allocate skills, each level knows what class it's for.
        The program also knows what classes you've taken at all the levels below
        this, so you should be able to set a maximum value for each skill at
        each level. All you need to do then is cap it at the maximum for this
        skill at this level, given the classes the character already has.

        All you really need to check is, what what character level is this, do
        any of the classes I already have have this skill on their class list?
        is so then max level for the skill at this level is This level + 3. If
        it's not on any of my classes skill list, then it's (this level + 3)/2.

        It think (I may be wrong) that it's impossible to generate illegal
        characters with that check in place.

        andrew
        --
        Virgo: (Aug. 23 - Sept. 22)
        It's nice that you're reading to the elderly, but people are