Re: [pcgen] Re: Bug? Skill points and levels

  • Kevin Brown
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 1 7:25 PM
      Truth wrote:

      > On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:02:37 -0700, Kevin Brown <kevin_brown@...> wrote:
      >
      >>>I've looked at this one before - and I can see why it's been done the way it is.
      >>>However I think it could be done another way. PCGen already knows
      >>>where the skill points come from - it even tells you on the screen
      >>>which level it's allocating the current skills from.
      >>>You could throw in some rule checking to ensure the points you're
      >>>currently allocating would not break the rules at that level.
      >>>
      >>>This'd allow you to allocate the points as if you'd done it level by
      >>>level - without actually having to do each level at a time.
      >>>
      >>>You could do a similar approach with the Feats - if we started
      >>>recording which level they'd been picked up at.
      >>
      >>Only if you entered the levels exactly as you took them would this work. I know
      >>players who have done things like take a level of ranger, then druid, then
      >>rogue, then druid, then rogue, then ranger, etc... Now, try and repeat those
      >>steps later when you are just trying to recreate, say, a tenth level character
      >>and you've been playing for 6 months or a year... You begin to see a problem...
      >

      > But if you're not going to enter what level you took a class, then how
      > are you going to know what the max skill level you should be able to
      > get for that classes skill points?

      The problem is that max ranks is set based on ALL of your classes Class skills
      combined with your total level. So it is Level specific, not class specific.
      This means that if you took a level of ranger at 4 or a level of ranger at 7,
      your max ranks for the Ranger skills would be different.
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 2 11:20 AM
        On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:25:23PM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
        > The problem is that max ranks is set based on ALL of your classes Class skills
        > combined with your total level. So it is Level specific, not class specific.
        > This means that if you took a level of ranger at 4 or a level of ranger at 7,
        > your max ranks for the Ranger skills would be different.

        This is not a problem, The skills are currently allocated level by
        level. As you allocate skills, each level knows what class it's for.
        The program also knows what classes you've taken at all the levels below
        this, so you should be able to set a maximum value for each skill at
        each level. All you need to do then is cap it at the maximum for this
        skill at this level, given the classes the character already has.

        All you really need to check is, what what character level is this, do
        any of the classes I already have have this skill on their class list?
        is so then max level for the skill at this level is This level + 3. If
        it's not on any of my classes skill list, then it's (this level + 3)/2.

        It think (I may be wrong) that it's impossible to generate illegal
        characters with that check in place.

        andrew
        --
        Virgo: (Aug. 23 - Sept. 22)
        It's nice that you're reading to the elderly, but people are