Re: [pcgen] Re: Bug? Skill points and levels

  • Truth
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 1, 2005
      On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:36:25 -0700, Kevin Brown <kevin_brown@...> wrote:
      > The current model allows for a GM/Player to quickly create, or recreate, a
      > character in the program without having to go through the riggamorale of level,
      > allocate, level, allocate... Do that for 10 characters and you might just get
      > fed up with the program. Instead, you can do "add 10 levels of wizard, 5 of PC,
      > 2 of barbarian, etc..." then go in and allocate all the skill points at once,
      > then all the feats at once, gear up and go. Yes, this does mean that it is
      > technically possible to violate the rules of D20 character generation, but it
      > allows for faster creation of characters when doing them above level 1.

      I've looked at this one before - and I can see why it's been done the way it is.
      However I think it could be done another way. PCGen already knows
      where the skill points come from - it even tells you on the screen
      which level it's allocating the current skills from.
      You could throw in some rule checking to ensure the points you're
      currently allocating would not break the rules at that level.

      This'd allow you to allocate the points as if you'd done it level by
      level - without actually having to do each level at a time.

      You could do a similar approach with the Feats - if we started
      recording which level they'd been picked up at.
      --
      Truth.
      There is no religion higher than the Truth.
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 2, 2005
        On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:25:23PM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
        > The problem is that max ranks is set based on ALL of your classes Class skills
        > combined with your total level. So it is Level specific, not class specific.
        > This means that if you took a level of ranger at 4 or a level of ranger at 7,
        > your max ranks for the Ranger skills would be different.

        This is not a problem, The skills are currently allocated level by
        level. As you allocate skills, each level knows what class it's for.
        The program also knows what classes you've taken at all the levels below
        this, so you should be able to set a maximum value for each skill at
        each level. All you need to do then is cap it at the maximum for this
        skill at this level, given the classes the character already has.

        All you really need to check is, what what character level is this, do
        any of the classes I already have have this skill on their class list?
        is so then max level for the skill at this level is This level + 3. If
        it's not on any of my classes skill list, then it's (this level + 3)/2.

        It think (I may be wrong) that it's impossible to generate illegal
        characters with that check in place.

        andrew
        --
        Virgo: (Aug. 23 - Sept. 22)
        It's nice that you're reading to the elderly, but people are