Re: Bug? Skill points and levels

  • Calion@mac.com
    Message 1 of 42 , Mar 1, 2005
      As a default option, yes. Either that or, even better, PCGen knows where skills & feats
      come from and does't let you spend skill points later in a way you couldn't earlier, as
      someone else suggested. Obviously the first would be easier...

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:

      > > Anytime PCGen allows a user to unknowingly break the rules, I would
      > > consider it a bug.
      >
      > So then, you're feature request (new functionality) for PCGen is that
      > you can't add another level to a character unless you've chosen all
      > skills and feats associated with the current level?
      >
      > Paul W. King
      > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 2, 2005
        On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:25:23PM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
        > The problem is that max ranks is set based on ALL of your classes Class skills
        > combined with your total level. So it is Level specific, not class specific.
        > This means that if you took a level of ranger at 4 or a level of ranger at 7,
        > your max ranks for the Ranger skills would be different.

        This is not a problem, The skills are currently allocated level by
        level. As you allocate skills, each level knows what class it's for.
        The program also knows what classes you've taken at all the levels below
        this, so you should be able to set a maximum value for each skill at
        each level. All you need to do then is cap it at the maximum for this
        skill at this level, given the classes the character already has.

        All you really need to check is, what what character level is this, do
        any of the classes I already have have this skill on their class list?
        is so then max level for the skill at this level is This level + 3. If
        it's not on any of my classes skill list, then it's (this level + 3)/2.

        It think (I may be wrong) that it's impossible to generate illegal
        characters with that check in place.

        andrew
        --
        Virgo: (Aug. 23 - Sept. 22)
        It's nice that you're reading to the elderly, but people are