WHERE IS A GOOD SOURCE TO LEARN THE JAVA CODE?

  • musicguerilla
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi guys, i have absolutely no experience with coding or programming.
      Does anyone know a good reference is to learn what I need to work
      with PCGen code / command lines / etc.? Thanks! :)
    • ajstrader
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2005
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "musicguerilla" <musicguerilla@h...>
        wrote:

        > Hi guys, i have absolutely no experience with coding or
        programming.
        > Does anyone know a good reference is to learn what I need to work
        > with PCGen code / command lines / etc.? Thanks! :)

        I didn't see a reply to this, so I thought I'd take a stab.

        MG, Java isn't the easiest thing in the world to just jump in to, but
        if you're looking for a decent reference check out java.sun.com and
        your local bookstore's computer programming section.

        Once you know Java, you can jump into:

        http://gmgen.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main/JavaDocs

        HOWEVER, if you just want to work with the data files that control
        PCGen's understanding of the d20 system, you don't need to know Java.
        For example the LST files are documented here:

        Enjoy!
      • Bri Hats
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2005
          Thanks, btw i also found Barak's series of LST and PCC tutorials in one of
          the pcgen forums, they are an excellent source too and not too difficult to
          follow even for a newbie like myself :)

          >From: "ajstrader" <ajs@...>
          >To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [pcgen] Re: WHERE IS A GOOD SOURCE TO LEARN THE JAVA CODE?
          >Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:52:17 -0000
          >

          >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "musicguerilla" <musicguerilla@h...>
          >wrote:
          >
          > > Hi guys, i have absolutely no experience with coding or
          >programming.
          > > Does anyone know a good reference is to learn what I need to work
          > > with PCGen code / command lines / etc.? Thanks! :)
          >
          >I didn't see a reply to this, so I thought I'd take a stab.
          >
          >MG, Java isn't the easiest thing in the world to just jump in to, but
          >if you're looking for a decent reference check out java.sun.com and
          >your local bookstore's computer programming section.
          >
          >Once you know Java, you can jump into:
          >
          >http://gmgen.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main/JavaDocs
          >
          >HOWEVER, if you just want to work with the data files that control
          >PCGen's understanding of the d20 system, you don't need to know Java.
          >For example the LST files are documented here:
          >
          >http://rpg.plambert.net/pcgen/current/_docs/
          >
          >Enjoy!

        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2005
            That' s the old autobuild site. If you want the current autobuild docs, go
            here: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/

            Paul W. King
            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23, 2005
              Those tutorials have also been added to the documentation.

              Paul W. King
              TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
              Thanks, btw i also found Barak's series of LST and PCC tutorials in one of
              the pcgen forums, they are an excellent source too and not too difficult to
              follow even for a newbie like myself :)
            • Aaron Sherman
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 23, 2005
                On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 04:41, Paul W. King wrote:
                > That' s the old autobuild site. If you want the current autobuild docs, go
                > here: http://www.legolas.org/pcgen/docs/

                I got the link from the Wiki... someone might want to update it.

                --
                Aaron Sherman <ajs@...>
                Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith