Re: [DOCS] FUMBLERANGE new tag entry

  • ovka
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Brown" <kevin_brown@q...> wrote:
      >Only games at this time that I can think of that don't have a Fumble
      >Range start
      >at 1 would be games like GURPS where fumble starts at 3 and can go
      >up to 5, IIRC
      >because you are rolling 3d6 for your checks.

      To accommodate this, there could be a preference setting for
      fumble_range_starts_at n. This assumes, of course, that FUMBLERANGE
      is numeric. ;)

      Cheers,

      Sir George Anonymous
    • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
        I think you've got it right, Bryan. We should use the same format as CRITRANGE, since our main support is d20. This will allow things like some funky weapons that are considered "unweildy" for some OGL/d20 products. Or a flaw I've been thinking of that increases the range a character fumbles on... Other objects besides the equipment will be able to modify that number, where as a free-text means it is permanent, and we might as well go to a simple SPROP instead of a special tag just for that.

        For other game systems, like the ones Kevin mentioned, eventually we could set a Base number for fumble in GameMode (d20 would be 1) and then the range goes from there.

        Not having it as a free text (I.e. a value it can use) will make it easier for GMGen for combat tracking stuff.....

        For the stuff like "Fumble on natural 1, then confirmed miss" that sounds like a good candidate for a SPROP tag on the equipment, or SA for the character if it differs from that game's normal rules.

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005

          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan.miller@f...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Goes in Equipment files
          > > >
          > > > *** New 5.7.15
          > > > Tag Name: FUMBLERANGE:x
          > > >
          > > > Variables Used (x): Text (Equipment fumble range)
          > > >
          > > > What it does:
          > > > This is text which indicates the equipments fumble or error
          range.
          > > This tag
          > > > may also be used in EQMOD lines. If an equipment item has
          EQMODs,
          > > the
          > > > FUMBLERANGE text from the EQMOD supercedes the text from the
          item
          > > itself
          > > > (EQMODs applied to the primary weapon head trumps text in
          EQMODs
          > > applied to
          > > > the secondary weapon head).
          > > >
          > > > Example:
          > > >
          > > > FUMBLERANGE:1-3
          > > > Indicates and error range of 1-3.
          > > >
          > > > FUMBLERANGE:Natural 1
          > > > Indicates and error range of a natural 1.
          > > >

          > > Nice. However, why not keep the same format as CRITRANGE? Just
          > > FUMBLERANGE:3 for 1-3, or FUMBLERANGE:1 for a natural 1? It
          would
          > > be a bit more intuitive to keep them the same (although I
          understand
          > > that the coding is probably done on it at this point).
          >
          > For D20 I think your suggestion is spot-on. Thinking outside of d20,
          > I'm not sure if we can assume that a fumble-range will always start
          at
          > 1.

          Except, PCGen only supports D20 systems. I am confoosed... :/
          Unless looking forward PCGen is going to be supporting more than D20
          and so this was coded with that in mind.

          I know there's the forthcoming RPG Tookit program. I have a wait and
          see attitude about RPG Toolkit. I like PCGen because I can program
          books I buy into it... if RPG Toolkit uses LST then great, if it uses
          something like XML, I'll probably skip it. I don't want to have to
          learn a whole new programming language to use the program.

          Evan